Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Plumbers
Reload this Page >

New Zealand plumbers wife saying Hi.

New Zealand plumbers wife saying Hi.

Old Sep 15th 2009, 11:09 pm
  #91  
Somewhere rather noisy .
Thread Starter
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 37,326
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand plumbers wife saying Hi.

Are you thinking I have too much time on my hands you old flatterer?


Here is a link to the OLD POST. I'll try and update it a bit as I think it is poss. to obtain certain stuff from different sources now. Also , I think there are more text books available.
BEVS is offline  
Old Sep 15th 2009, 11:11 pm
  #92  
Somewhere rather noisy .
Thread Starter
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 37,326
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand plumbers wife saying Hi.

Originally Posted by johnknight001 View Post
hi , im in aus but looked into nz in the early stages of moving, this is the best plumbing thread on all the sites mate, the info on here is second to none, keep it up bev.
john
Really
It's official then. I'm a plumbing thread saddo.

Oooo. G'won then. Have some karma on me, though it would have been worth more karma points from the NZ forum. .
BEVS is offline  
Old Sep 16th 2009, 12:52 am
  #93  
Somewhere rather noisy .
Thread Starter
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 37,326
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand plumbers wife saying Hi.

The NZ Plumbing and Gasfitting ITO ( Training Org) seem to have another publication out. Maybe because there is a move and perhaps a need to align more with Oz practices.

Basic Plumbing Service Skills. available from Madras Bookshop.

Branz Plumbing and Drainage Guide seems to be available from Tech Books.

Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Act and Regulations are still available from Victoria Bookshop. Scroll down to the bottom of the link to order. You may need to register with them or contact them direct .
BEVS is offline  
Old Jan 8th 2010, 7:55 am
  #94  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1
glasgowandbeyond is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Zealand plumbers wife saying Hi.

Hello,

I notice there hasn't been any posts on this thread since Sept 2009 so maybe I'm chancing my luck. If you don't ask, you don't get, so here goes!

I'm landing in NZ at the beginning of Feb (2nd) and will be there for over two months, I'm doing some backpacking and travelling to stay away from Scotland's horrible weather. As I'm not registered to plumb in NZ is there absolutely no chance of being able to practice there if I obtain the working holiday visa?
glasgowandbeyond is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2010, 5:35 pm
  #95  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 5
iamthetoad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Zealand plumbers wife saying Hi.

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Look at my posts. I think you'll find I know my stuff reasonably well.

The aim is to help would-be migrants to understand what is required of them. This is an information highway after all. I post about more than just plumbing.

As for the NZ plumbing and gasfitting trade? Well, I have my views. I also have views on the trade in the UK also. There again. I like to be as fully informed as poss. After-all, it's been our living for several decades now, so it's been in my best interests to keep up to press.
hi,
i am a gas engineer in the uk,my wife and i decided recently to make the move to naze i have a navig level 2 & 3 and 8 years experience, but my navig was not done as an apprenticeship, i trained at collage while working full time in an other job. Will this be a problem when i come to get a job? and do i need to register with "The bored" from the uk or when i get over? i would be grateful for any info you can give!!?? as you can probably tell we are only just starting the move!!! Thanks
iamthetoad is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:03 pm
  #96  
Somewhere rather noisy .
Thread Starter
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 37,326
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand plumbers wife saying Hi.

Originally Posted by glasgowandbeyond View Post
Hello,

I notice there hasn't been any posts on this thread since Sept 2009 so maybe I'm chancing my luck. If you don't ask, you don't get, so here goes!

I'm landing in NZ at the beginning of Feb (2nd) and will be there for over two months, I'm doing some backpacking and travelling to stay away from Scotland's horrible weather. As I'm not registered to plumb in NZ is there absolutely no chance of being able to practice there if I obtain the working holiday visa?
You can do some work on a working holiday visa. You could maybe pick up some 'plumbers mate' or labouring work around the place on a very temporary basis.

For that you would need to apply for a PGDB limited licence once you are offered the temp work . The company would need their craftsman/registered plumber to countersign that. There is a fee.

You are probably better off fruit picking TBH.
BEVS is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:16 pm
  #97  
Somewhere rather noisy .
Thread Starter
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 37,326
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand plumbers wife saying Hi.

Originally Posted by iamthetoad View Post
hi,
i am a gas engineer in the uk,my wife and i decided recently to make the move to naze i have a navig level 2 & 3 and 8 years experience, but my navig was not done as an apprenticeship, i trained at collage while working full time in an other job. Will this be a problem when i come to get a job? and do i need to register with "The bored" from the uk or when i get over? i would be grateful for any info you can give!!?? as you can probably tell we are only just starting the move!!! Thanks
Gas engineers are not in shortage in New Zealand at the moment. Any NZ employer wanting to offer you a job would need to prove to New Zealand immigration that there was no NZ resident or citizen for that job.

If you are thinking of emigrating to New Zealand and want to use your gas qualifications as a way to gain entry, then you will need to have your gas qualifications pre-assessed by the PGDB. There is a link already put up. Please note, it would be a pre-assessment only .

You wouldn't register with the PGDB board as such, You would submit your UK quals for them to pre-assess and they would decide whether or not your overseas quals match the NZ standard. If they do, then once you are here, the PGDB would allow you to take their 4 day assessment and examination course which could lead to NZ registration.

Before that, if you did gain a gas trade job offer here, you would be supervised under a PGDB limited licence.

I haven't heard of UK Navig quals for gas and google didn't throw up anything.

What are they?
BEVS is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:31 pm
  #98  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 5
iamthetoad is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: New Zealand plumbers wife saying Hi.

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Gas engineers are not in shortage in New Zealand at the moment. Any NZ employer wanting to offer you a job would need to prove to New Zealand immigration that there was no NZ resident or citizen for that job.

If you are thinking of emigrating to New Zealand and want to use your gas qualifications as a way to gain entry, then you will need to have your gas qualifications pre-assessed by the PGDB. There is a link already put up. Please note, it would be a pre-assessment only .

You wouldn't register with the PGDB board as such, You would submit your UK quals for them to pre-assess and they would decide whether or not your overseas quals match the NZ standard. If they do, then once you are here, the PGDB would allow you to take their 4 day assessment and examination course which could lead to NZ registration.

Before that, if you did gain a gas trade job offer here, you would be supervised under a PGDB limited licence.

I haven't heard of UK Navig quals for gas and google didn't throw up anything.

What are they?
was typo, meant nvq's.
We will be coming over on my wife's qualifications, so entry isn't a problem but i was hoping that finding a job for me wouldn't be to hard.
I have read a bit about the limited lience, any idea how much they get paid?
Also is working on gas over there anything like the uk?
thanks for all info!!!!:
iamthetoad is offline  
Old Feb 19th 2010, 1:37 am
  #99  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: christchurch new zealand
Posts: 10
jayson2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Zealand plumbers wife saying Hi.

hi,good luck with your move. if you go to www.plumbers.co.nz you will be able to see what other gas men have been saying and get info from them.you can register and join in the forum and will be able to ask questions and get answers from tradesmen like yourself, the more the merrier.see you on the forum,cheers.
jayson2 is offline  
Old Feb 19th 2010, 1:58 am
  #100  
Somewhere rather noisy .
Thread Starter
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 37,326
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand plumbers wife saying Hi.

Originally Posted by iamthetoad View Post
was typo, meant nvq's.
We will be coming over on my wife's qualifications, so entry isn't a problem but i was hoping that finding a job for me wouldn't be to hard.
I have read a bit about the limited lience, any idea how much they get paid?
Also is working on gas over there anything like the uk?
thanks for all info!!!!:
H'okay. You're an NVQ and Corgi man . As you'll already have PR through your wife's application ,it will help with the job hunt. any NZ employer will be able to offer you a job if they wish.
They may want to know about how qualified you are, so getting the PGDB pre-assessment to start with would help maybe with interviews. It at least tells the NZ employer that you have the standard required by the PGDB.

Wages vary from area to area . From company to company Obviously, if you are on a PGDB limited license you aint going to be paid at the same rate as the registered gasfitter. The company will state a rate. You try and get a bit more or maybe a tool allowance of you can.

Not all areas of New Zealand have reticulated gas. Gas central heating , for instance, is not common. You will see instant hot water heaters, gas hobs and gas fires.

For a bit of insight , take a look at the gas registration and craftsman exams on the PGDB website.

Have a browse around the following links.

OnGas


GasNZ


what does yur wife do ? Where are you hoping to settle? Questions. Questions.

Come on over to the New Zealand forum to chat with more people already here in Nz and also those making the move or hoping to make the move.
BEVS is offline  
Old Feb 19th 2010, 6:29 am
  #101  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 5
iamthetoad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Zealand plumbers wife saying Hi.

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
H'okay. You're an NVQ and Corgi man . As you'll already have PR through your wife's application ,it will help with the job hunt. any NZ employer will be able to offer you a job if they wish.
They may want to know about how qualified you are, so getting the PGDB pre-assessment to start with would help maybe with interviews. It at least tells the NZ employer that you have the standard required by the PGDB.

Wages vary from area to area . From company to company Obviously, if you are on a PGDB limited license you aint going to be paid at the same rate as the registered gasfitter. The company will state a rate. You try and get a bit more or maybe a tool allowance of you can.

Not all areas of New Zealand have reticulated gas. Gas central heating , for instance, is not common. You will see instant hot water heaters, gas hobs and gas fires.

For a bit of insight , take a look at the gas registration and craftsman exams on the PGDB website.

Have a browse around the following links.

OnGas


GasNZ


what does yur wife do ? Where are you hoping to settle? Questions. Questions.

Come on over to the New Zealand forum to chat with more people already here in Nz and also those making the move or hoping to make the move.
hi,
my wife is an anaesthetic technician, and we are hoping to move to auckland, bin told it was the best chance for both of us to get jobs?
iamthetoad is offline  
Old Feb 19th 2010, 9:12 pm
  #102  
Somewhere rather noisy .
Thread Starter
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 37,326
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand plumbers wife saying Hi.

Originally Posted by iamthetoad View Post
hi,
my wife is an anaesthetic technician, and we are hoping to move to auckland, bin told it was the best chance for both of us to get jobs?
Really ?

I'd have thought checking out all the District Health Boards would be the way to go.

Anaesthetic technician is on the Immediate Shortage list. This means that an NZ employer is free to offer her a job if they are in these areas:-

Auckland/Upper North Island,
Waikato/Bay of Plenty,
Central North Island,
Wellington,
Canterbury/Upper South Island,
Otago/Southland
.

We've health staff etc on the NZ forum. Perhaps ask them about this.

If you look at Trade Me just for starters, you'll see vacancies for plumbers scattered throughout New Zealand. There is no shortage of skilled labour for the trades at the moment , due to recession, but there are still vacancies out there.

There are dedicated healthcare recruitment agencies out there which others have used. Again, I'd suggest asking those on the NZ board that have done this.

The District Health Boards may well be NZIS accredited employers.

Geneva springs to mind as a dedicated recruiter..

See you on the NZ forum.

BEVS is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:15 am
  #103  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 5
iamthetoad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Zealand plumbers wife saying Hi.

hi,
Are UK quals normally enough to get a limited licence? I dont have LPG, is it worth me doing it before we come over?
iamthetoad is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 10:09 am
  #104  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 24
jd24hrs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Zealand plumbers wife saying Hi.

hello i am toad, most plumbing businesses will jump over backwards to have you because if you are a fully trained uk plumber and gas engineer they will realise that you are better trained and qualified than they are but you have to realise that they will be greedy and wont ever want to pay you what you are worth or admit that you are better than them because they have you by the balls. and the stupid plumbers board (pgdb)help them to con the people of nz into thinking that new zealand plumbers are the best and well trained which isnt the case
jd24hrs is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 1:00 pm
  #105  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 5
iamthetoad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Zealand plumbers wife saying Hi.

Originally Posted by jd24hrs View Post
hello i am toad, most plumbing businesses will jump over backwards to have you because if you are a fully trained uk plumber and gas engineer they will realise that you are better trained and qualified than they are but you have to realise that they will be greedy and wont ever want to pay you what you are worth or admit that you are better than them because they have you by the balls. and the stupid plumbers board (pgdb)help them to con the people of nz into thinking that new zealand plumbers are the best and well trained which isnt the case
I'm only qualified as a gas engineer, but i do plumbing jobs in the UK. is that a problem as it is in australia?
Do i need to do LPG before i come over or just do it over there?
iamthetoad is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.