Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Plumbers
Reload this Page >

New Zealand plumbers wife saying Hi.

New Zealand plumbers wife saying Hi.

Old Mar 17th 2008, 11:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: New Zealand plumbers wife saying Hi.

Yes. Go for the NVQ3. It is better to be safe than sorry.

Please be aware when attending the Expo that not all are well informed about the workings of the New Zealand Plumbing Board. With that I include New Zealand Immigration.

If you want to emigrate to New Zealand as a plumber , then you really must attain a certain UK plumbing trade level .

There is a twofold reason for this and both these reasons are inter-dependant on each other

1] You must pass a preliminary assessment that your UK quals will meet the NZ plumbing board standard. If they do not , you will have a huge mountain to climb. That standard is around the NVQ3 level. If they do not see at least this, then they will state you are not eligible to take their registration assessment.

2] You need the New Zealand plumbing board to state that you are eligible to take their registration assessment in order to satisfy the skill standard that the New Zealand Immigration Service set. Without that you will not be seen as an overseas skilled plumber & you also cannot claim points for being a plumber.

NZIS - the immigration service state that you must have the correct UK quals PLUS be eligible to pass NZ plumbing board registration. For that to be so, then you must have the minimum standard. That standard is NVQ3.

Yes, I know that the NVQ includes gasfitting but the old C&G 1 and 2 also included gasfitting. It was and is all part of the trade. the New Zealand Plumbing Board PGDB also like to see several years on the tools experience.

Now, when you get to the Expo you will be told that there is nothing to stop you coming to work in NZ at plumbing . That is also correct. You can find a job and work here under a plumbing limited licence. This would not mean that you could actually emigrate here and be a permanent resident. Having a limited licence or an NZ job in plumbing means nothing if you do not have the UK quals and the PGDB - plumbing board - feel that your UK quals are not enough for them.

I hope this has helped make things clear.

I can always be found on the NZ forum.

Give me a shout here or there.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:58 pm
RogerR

Thanks for that Bevs... I think

You say I could still go to NZ as a plumber.... if I was to be offered work over there, what is the deal about being level 3 trained in NZ while working there? is that not a possibility, or have I misunderstood? Would I then qualify to become a citizen, having had "level 3" training through NZ channels.... or is that not how it works?

Old Mar 19th 2008, 4:29 am
`

You only qualify to become a New Zealand citizen once you have been New Zealand for 5 years as a Permanent Resident.

When a plumber look to emigrate permanently to New Zealand he should look at applying to New Zealand Immigration under the Skilled Migrant Category. He would be applying to become a Permanent Resident.

Once you have your UK NVQ3 in plumbing , then you will be seen as qualified enough to apply under the Skilled Migrant Category. Both the NZ immigration service and the NZ plumbing board will check that you are qualified enough. They will also check with each other. As I already said, what they want from a plumber trained in the UK is that he has the NVQ3 certificates and work experience to prove he is a fully certified UK plumber.Nothing less will do really when it comes to wanting to permanently emigrate to New Zealand as a plumber.

Originally Posted by RogerR
You say I could still go to NZ as a plumber.... if I was to be offered work over there, what is the deal about being level 3 trained in NZ while working there? is that not a possibility, or have I misunderstood? Would I then qualify to become a citizen, having had "level 3" training through NZ channels.... or is that not how it works?
No that is not how it works.

At present you have only an NVQ2. The plumbing board would assess this as you needing to do extra training here in New Zealand and they would want you to become an apprentice. Apprenticeships are 4 years. You would most likely have to start at the very beginning again which would mean all the effort you have put into your NVQ to day would be wasted. Pay for apprentices here is extremely low .
Whilst on a temporary work permit , any study you undertook would require you to pay international student fees. These run into a huge amount of $$$$. Then you would have to convince a plumbing training organisation and a New Zealand employer to take you on as an adult apprentice whilst only on a temporary work permit.

It's not really viable in my opinion. It would be a safer bet & quicker for you to finish your training in the UK with the devil you know and become a fully certified plumber first - then apply to emigrate as a New Zealand Permanent Resident under the skilled migrant category.

Come back to me if you are still confused and don't forget to pop into the NZ forum
Old Apr 17th 2008, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

Woll is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Hi all.
My husband is a plumber . We emigrated to New Zealand three years ago. Any plumber or gasfitter thinking to come and work in New Zealand , I am happy to go through the process with you.
Hello,I have sent off my invitation to apply and will get a yes or no tomorrow but I have been told today that I need to become fully registered within 9 months.I've heard the exam is very hard for overseas plumbers not familiar with NZ plumbing.Does your husband have full registration and if so how long did it take to get?Thanks Jeff
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud of

Hi Bevs, im a corgi gas fitter in the uk, whats the work situation like in NZ for gas fitters? I have no plumbing qualis and am becoming disheartened by the Oz licencing situation, is it as bad in NZ?
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 2:59 am
`

Originally Posted by Woll
Hello,
Hi there

I have sent off my invitation to apply and will get a yes or no tomorrow
Blimey. How did you manage that Normally no-one knows whether they have been successful until they receive the confirmation letter from NZIS. That would either be asking for their migrant levy and passports or , if they have already sent off their passports, the return of the passports with the blue stickers inside

....... but I have been told today that I need to become fully registered within 9 months.
Who has told you this?
Within 9 months of what? Starting NZ work? Arriving in NZ ? PR ?

The PGDB place no time limit on becoming registered. If one fails the first time , then there is the option to re-sit. Until such time as you become fully registered , you would work under a PGDB limited licence.

You would book in for the registration exam and practical assessments with the PGDB in Wellington.

NZIS recently introduced the criteria that plumbers/gasfitters should be NZ registered, however this is not possible from outside of NZ. All that is possible is that if the overseas plumber/gasfitter has a job offer, then the person can apply for a PGDB limited licnece. This is not the same as Registration. It is simply a licence.

If NZIS would want the plumber/gasfitter to become registered before issuing PR , then I would have thought NZIS would have put the person on a WTR visa. Work to Residence. This would give a time span of two years.
It would seem that in some cases NZIS are accepting a positive assessment letter from the PGDB which states that the overseas plumber/gasfitter is eligible to take registration assessments and exams.

I've heard the exam is very hard for overseas plumbers not familiar with NZ plumbing.
Plumbing is plumbing, although you may find NZ plumbing behind the times. What you would really need to get to grips with are the NZ rules and regs.

Does your husband have full registration and if so how long did it take to get?Thanks Jeff
Yes. He has passed both gas and plumbing registration exams. He did this before the PGDB changed the route to registration for overseas tradesmen though. He sat two 4 hour written exams. He studied the relevent rules and regs. Brushed up on his math & was working in the NZ plumbing trade. He refamiliarised himself with brazing joints, learnt to live with the lack of fittings or the use of boss white. He looked over previous registration exam papers and went for a two day course to help with the subject matter and the exam technique. The exams are old fashioned in their format.

I will copy over some posts I made from the main NZ forum to here. You may find them helpful.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 3:08 am
`

Originally Posted by chris1386
Hi Bevs, im a corgi gas fitter in the uk, whats the work situation like in NZ for gas fitters? I have no plumbing qualis and am becoming disheartened by the Oz licencing situation, is it as bad in NZ?

I am giving you a link to a previous Gasfitting Thread in the main NZ forum.

Gasfitting is on the immediate shortage list & is seen as skilled. Just as with plumbing you would need to apply for a PGDB limited licence if you had an NZ job offer. As gasfitting is on the immediate shortage list, an NZ employer is free to offer you a job.

You would have to prove to both NZIS - the NZ immigration service - and PGDB - the plumbing and gasfitting board of new zealand - that your CORGI and overseas gas qualifications met their standard. NZIS look to the PGDB for this.

The first move for any plumber or gasfitter is to have their overseas quals assessed by the PGDB as NZIS want to know that the plumber/gasfitter will be eligible to become fully PGDB registered.

Gasfitters have had a hard time finding suitable work TBH and some have had the utmost difficulty in having NZIS approve their PR applications because of the new registration rules.

My view would be to find an NZ job offer and look to the Work to Residence Route. It takes two years to become NZ resident that way. However one would have been in NZ for two years working then and may have gained NZ PGDB registration.

Given that other trades do not have to do this , it is totally unfair but them iz the rules one has to work with.

LINK TO A GASFITTING THREAD. please click the blue type.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 3:12 am
`

Here is the PGDB LINK to the assessment and registration route for overseas plumbers and gasfitters.

It is called the Immigration Qualification Assessment System.

It is a PDF file. Download it and the guide. Have a good read

PGDB REGISTRATION AND ASSESSMENTS

DIRECT LINK TO THE PGDB DOWNLOAD

This costs $3500. Takes 4 days. Happens only in Wellington

This is NOT the same as the preliminary assessment . That costs $400 and is where you send off your certified qualifications, certificates and proof of work experience for a prelim. assessment. From that prelim. assessment the PGDB will decide whether you will be eligible to sit the above Registration assessments and exam in Wellington NZ.

Last edited by BEVS; Apr 22nd 2008 at 3:15 am.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 3:18 am
`

Here is a link to the past exam papers on the PGDB website.

It will give you some insight as to the possible questions asked. Remember that you will have practical assessments in addition to the written exam.

As it all takes 4 days, I would rather imagine the practicals will be of a similar nature to the block course and assessments final year apprentices are required to attain to gain their NZ National Certificate. NZ apprentices have to gain the National Certificate level before being allowed to take NZ PGDB registration.

LINK TO PAST EXAM PAPER DOWNLOADS please click the blue type.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 3:21 am
`

Courses do exist to help with registration assessments and exams. The thing is you would have to be here and working in the trade before you could sign up with an ITO - training organisation.

You would also need Permanent Residency otherwise you would have to pay international student fees which is mega $$$.

Once here and working you could choose to sign up with the Open Polytechnic and use their coursework . My husband is currently using this to make sure of a positive outcome for his Craftsman Papers. It's not that you or he don't know your trade inside out and upside down. It's simply the NZ rules and regs plus getting into exam mode. You'll see what I mean if you look at past exam papers which are available on the PGDB website.

The is a refresher course each year which is available up at Unitec Auckland. Its a two day course which can aid with exam preparation.

What you would choose re. courses once here would depend on whether you are going for plumbing registration , gasfitting registration or both.

Last edited by BEVS; Apr 22nd 2008 at 3:23 am.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 3:30 am
`

Here is a list that I compiled a while ago. It is a copy of a post I have made into the main NZ forum.

KEN DOYLE PLUMBING BOOKS
The Old Doyle text books are still currently used .
Plumbing and Gasfitting 1 and 2
plus a general Branz guide
They are owned by The Plumbing ITO .
If you cannot buy online , then try contacting contact Sue McGarry
[email protected] Very useful books. Most all NZ plumbers and apprentices seem to own copies of these.

Master Plumbers, Gasfitters & Drainlayers NZ Incorporated:
Sue McGarry
Industry Training Organisation
P O Box 6606
Wellington
Phone 04 384 41
-------------------------------------------

Plumbers, Gas Fitters and Drain layers Act 1976 -

The PGDB board do have examination questions which refer to this Act.

contact via email, fax or the toll free number below.

Anne Honeyfield
[email protected]
Customer Care Co-Ordinator ,Brookers Ltd ,TOLL FREE: 0800 10 60 60
FAX: 64 04 499 8173
Level 1 ,Guardian Trust House ,15 Willeston Street
P O Box 43 .Wellington

If the above contact is out of date then email services from the Brookers Website
You may find you have to fill in a registration form to obtain the Act. The cost used to be around $10 plus postage.

It is also available online from HERE.

----------------------------------------------------------

NZ Building Codes found here and free to download. again click blue type

There will be questions relating to the codes.

Scroll down the page .

Look for G10 through to G13 .

G12 and G13 particularly for plumbing.

Beware ! These do have a huge amount of pages.

Otherwise available form Victoria University bookshop.

They require payment before dispatch (cheque, credit card or direct debit) You can order via email, on the website www.vicbooks.co.nz, or by phone 0800 370 370.
Samantha Stanley
Distribution
Department of Building & Housing
Victoria University Bookcentre
Gate 1 Kelburn Parade
Wellington
0800 370 370

---------------------------------------------

New Zealand Standards

Again, there will be questions relating to the Standards.

Nz Standard 3500

Parts 2 and 5

also

Standard 5261 gasfitting

----------------------------------------

Please do take a look at previous exam questions and brush up on your math. You'll need it.
The exams will be closed book.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 3:30 am
`

An extract of an email I recd from an ITO some while ago which outlined some of the practices still taught here, but perhaps no longer taught in the UK.

Quote:
The NZ Plumbing skills not taught in England have been:

Sheet metal pattern development by using:
1. Parallel line development
2. Radial line development
3. Triangulation

Sheet metal work - making up:
Spouting; down pipes; down pipe offsets; ducting and fittings;
flashings; roofwork - corrugated iron and pandeck; gas flues.

Welding: - Oxy acetylene - fusion and bronze; arc; mig and tig

Brazing: - Mainly copper pipe joints

Now . Is this worth karma ?

Perhaps one day I'll actually get my arris into gear and learn how to put this into the BE wiki.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

teamlemon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS here
An extract of an email I recd from an ITO some while ago which outlined some of the practices still taught here, but perhaps no longer taught in the UK.

Quote:
The NZ Plumbing skills not taught in England have been:

Sheet metal pattern development by using:
1. Parallel line development
2. Radial line development
3. Triangulation

Sheet metal work - making up:
Spouting; down pipes; down pipe offsets; ducting and fittings;
flashings; roofwork - corrugated iron and pandeck; gas flues.

Welding: - Oxy acetylene - fusion and bronze; arc; mig and tig

Brazing: - Mainly copper pipe joints

Now . Is this worth karma ?

Perhaps one day I'll actually get my arris into gear and learn how to put this into the BE wiki.
Hi Bev
Can I ask, with regards to submitting proof of work experience in plumbing to the PGDB, or to send with SMC application, how do you provide proof while being self employed? Did you mention your husband was self employed for the latter years before leaving UK and did you provide proof from those years and/or from employed years?
Thanks
Amanda
Old Apr 24th 2008, 10:24 pm
`

Yes. For both the SMC application and for the PGDB we sent proof he remained in the trade over his self-employed years.

This included.

Copies of invoices
Tax returns and accounts
Customer references

For employment we used

Old contracts of employment
pay slips
and a listing one can obtain from the IR which shows dates and employment names.

We basically sent everything we could think of.
Old May 30th 2008, 11:51 am
Just Joined

ben cutmore is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there i am thinking about moving to new zealand and working as a plumber. Could you tell me what kind of work your husband does ie. self imployed or work for a company, and what kind of yearly salery you would expect for this line of work. Also was there any extra tests or certificates he had to get before working like the corgi here in the uk. lastly what is it like living in new zealand! Thanks Ben.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.