Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Plumbers
Reload this Page >

MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE OF PLUMBING IN OZ

MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE OF PLUMBING IN OZ

Old Nov 12th 2007, 4:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE OF PLUMBING IN OZ

Originally Posted by BEVS here View Post
Hi.
We are in New Zealand and have been for 3 1/2 years.Just about to apply for our NZ passports.

Husbands a plumber.

Despite being fully C&G plus CORGI with 30 yrs experience, he still had to go on a limited licence here. Before being allowed to be seen as fully qualified he had to sit exams.That only allows him to work for an employer, not to become self employed. To do that he has to sit two more exams and a third in business studies. Bloody nightmare it is.
He is registered now but we are finding it difficult to be motivated for the other three exams. Takes up so much of the free time.
The saying in NZ is that NZ plumbers are the best in the world and sought after the world over. Himself says the plumbing and gasfitting aint all that.

We had heard that wages were better in Oz. Is that true? He earns $26 NZD here .

$26 NZD is approx $21 AUD, so yes he should be able to get more than that here. I believe the cost of living is higher over there (only from what I read on here though, so you may want to check that out) That would also make a difference to you.

If he gets his full licence in NZ, he should be able to get mutual recognition in Australia, so won't have to do it all again.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 2:00 am
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

I've only just seen the reply. Thanks for that Wendy.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 6:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here View Post
I've only just seen the reply. Thanks for that Wendy.

No problem
Old Jan 7th 2008, 2:30 am

snow-white is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SimonG View Post
I was at the York Emigrate show last Sunday. First arrived and wasn't that impressed, but first person I spoke to passed me onto a guy who had been out there for eighteen months on the Gold Coast. Talked with him for a good 50 minutes and got his e-mail. He spoke of all the tests and assignments, I'm going to keep in touch and he is going to forward info as he gets it.
anychance you could forward some info or email address for guy on gold coast were here same situation oh gasfitter plumber but cant regain his full license in either
any help would be great trying to work out whether would be better to do intensive course
lesley
Old Jan 7th 2008, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

SimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really nice

Originally Posted by snow-white View Post
anychance you could forward some info or email address for guy on gold coast were here same situation oh gasfitter plumber but cant regain his full license in either
any help would be great trying to work out whether would be better to do intensive course
lesley
Hi Lesley,

I've sent you a PM.

Simon.