British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Plumbers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/plumbers-119/)
-   -   Heading to Oz in aug 8th - few questions :@) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/plumbers-119/heading-oz-aug-8th-few-questions-%40-585090/)

scunny4life Jan 17th 2009 11:24 pm

Heading to Oz in aug 8th - few questions :@)

Now then all, Im new to this site so be gentle.

Im going travelling in feb and will be stopping off in oz for a year [like everyone else haha].

Im a fully qualified plumber in uk, level 3, passed gas tests etc, unvented and done a few boiler courses, 7 yrs on the tools. Iv been told that you need to take 'a test' to be granted a qualified plumber in oz. If this test was ignored is austrialia quite...'slack' on empolyment for a 23 yr old english guy with a load of brand new tools?

Il be getting to cairns and thinking of settling there for a while.

are plumbing jobs easy to come by? people talk of skilled people shortage?

are the plumbing principles much different from the uk? would love to do a solar course and do that for 12 months!

This is the first site Iv come across with a forum, so hoping to get a better idea of what I need to do.

I leave the uk feb 12th [might have left this research a bit late eh]

sorry for been very vague, I just dont wanna end up in a field sweating my nik naks off haha.

cheers people. much love

the plumber Jan 18th 2009 1:00 am

Re: Heading to Oz in aug 8th - few questions :@)

welcome to the mad house.......only joking.....:confused:

Well first your need to ring the licencing board and apply for your provisional plumbing licence.

They will get you to fill in a few forms and also asked to see your qual's ,from this they will decide what courses your need to take, plus on site experience required.

As for jobs.....i can only comment on Goldcoast area ( where i live )
Would say there's no question .....the job market is slowing down rapidly...!

all the best plumb........:cool:

ps...don't let this put you off.....where there's a will there's away....

scunny4life Jan 18th 2009 5:05 pm

so the licencing board. is that based in austrailia... are there any websits you could point us in the right way.

I just read something about doing a test over 2 'semesters' in oz costing 3600 to gain a full licence.

I would be happy doing small jobs bathrooms etc, fixing leaks and genrally just worign on the plumbing side. if getting into the gas side of things is going to cost a whole load of cash then sod it.

I think the idea of spending 800 on tools and sniff about for work will suit me. im sure there are loads of plumbers about, but good plumbers are allways sought after [points finger at self ;)]

pkerfo Mar 16th 2009 9:44 pm

I am a Scottish Dental technician looking to emmigrate to oz in jan 10, my trade is on the skilled shortages list but don't know where to start.

Help

oz miller man Mar 17th 2009 7:34 am

mate,
if your only coming for a year id forget about plumbing the licence thing would take you that long to sort.as its different state to state so no good if you traveling
you may get work as a trade assistant and you dont need your own tools for that so leave them at home, plus the pipe sizes are different here so your benders n pipe slices wont work

i did the years back packing and picked up plenty of other work...gardner in 5 star resort, dish washer, plaster`s laborer n grape picking , never did any plumbing...and the pays not bad for these jobs because the aussies dont want to do it...lol
usually cash in hand;)

sydneys good for work, good place to start and get some cash together.
and cairns is good for hotel/restaurant work if you time it right

apart from that mate just enjoy the trip...and the aussie chicks will be all over ya with that northen accent:thumbup:

eugene43 Jul 12th 2009 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by pkerfo (Post 7386173)
I am a Scottish Dental technician looking to emmigrate to oz in jan 10, my trade is on the skilled shortages list but don't know where to start.

Help

HI I am also going next year(Prosthetic Technician)