getting a full license

Old Jul 4th 2009, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

mchand11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: getting a full license

Originally Posted by yorky1
Every plumber that goes over has to sit a one day trade test, just the basic stuff but you will have to use an oxy set. it doesn,t matter if you are NVQ or not you will have to do your licence if you want to work for your self. This takes about a year and costs a couple of grand. Not much work around at the mo so you may be a while getting a job.
Graham
Hey Yorkie,

Thanks for the reply! What about working for a licensed plumber - ie. not working for yourself? Do you need any Australian qualifications for that? Or do they only take apprentices...? I've maybe got some contacts at home that Mark may be able to get work with....but we're just not sure if he is going to have to go and get some specifically Aussie qualification first.

Apparently over here (UK) they are now making all over 26 year olds pay full whack up front to do the NVQ....that's why we're thinking about not bothering with it before hitting Oz.

Cheers mate,

Mel
Old Jul 5th 2009, 7:44 am
Just Joined

yorky1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I am old school did my city and guilds Australia recognize this. So it depends on what your boy friend has got. I suppose NVQ is the same,not sure as I have been in Ozzie for the last twenty years.
Like I said if he has got a recognized qualification he will be ok. I was in Perth but I presume it will be the same elsewhere. A simple trade test is required before you can become a registered plumber. Once you have this you should be ok. But he should really have a practise with an oxy set before he goes, as this is the recognized method of joining pipes.
The pipe sizes are different in ozz, they work on Id not Od. In other words 22mm pipe is 20mm etc,etc.
Your pipe benders are no good they don,t fit the pipe.
At the end of the day it,s plumbing, the basics are the same but just a bit different if you know what I mean.
Graham
Old Jul 6th 2009, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mchand11
Hey Yorkie,

Thanks for the reply! What about working for a licensed plumber - ie. not working for yourself? Do you need any Australian qualifications for that? Or do they only take apprentices...? I've maybe got some contacts at home that Mark may be able to get work with....but we're just not sure if he is going to have to go and get some specifically Aussie qualification first.

Apparently over here (UK) they are now making all over 26 year olds pay full whack up front to do the NVQ....that's why we're thinking about not bothering with it before hitting Oz.

Cheers mate,

Mel
hi
if you have employment in plumbing in the uk then you can gain a nvq probably free, if you go to a college and enquire about train to gain or somthing similar, its done purely on onsite assessments, it is govt funded. you will need to have the technical cert as well but this can be linked with the nvq. ive been doing these for a while now where i live.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Ok well I would check just to see what they will accept before you go. Also your UK gas ticket is worthless there, you have to do it all again. If you want installation and servicing, it takes three weeks. I did it and now I am back here the Uk don,t accept the ozzy one. Ha ha I shan,t bother again , the only good side is that my Ozzy one will still be current if I go back, I just have to re register again.
When all is said and done I prefer the Ozzy plumbing, it,s strange but all the time I was out in Ozz I always harped on about the English plumbing being better. Wrong England is behind the times, in most things now I feel. The work ethic in Ozz is far better, they don,t treat you like little kids, unlike the idiots here.
Anyway hope you find what you are looking for.
Best wishes

Graham
Old Jul 19th 2009, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

humpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nice

Originally Posted by yorky1
Ok well I would check just to see what they will accept before you go. Also your UK gas ticket is worthless there, you have to do it all again. If you want installation and servicing, it takes three weeks. I did it and now I am back here the Uk don,t accept the ozzy one. Ha ha I shan,t bother again , the only good side is that my Ozzy one will still be current if I go back, I just have to re register again.
When all is said and done I prefer the Ozzy plumbing, it,s strange but all the time I was out in Ozz I always harped on about the English plumbing being better. Wrong England is behind the times, in most things now I feel. The work ethic in Ozz is far better, they don,t treat you like little kids, unlike the idiots here.
Anyway hope you find what you are looking for.
Best wishes

Graham
In Queensland if you show your corgi card they will give you a licence, the guy who issues the licences is ex British Gas
Old Jul 19th 2009, 7:07 am
Just Joined

Thats a first all the others ignore it. I have all my aussie gas tickets anyway just in case I come back. But here in the Uk they don,t recognize the Aussie stuff, I aint doing it again sod that.

Graham
Old Jul 19th 2009, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

wannabe in oz will become famous soon enough

hi yorky1, just reading some of the above and seen you where in perth and was wondering if you could point me the right direction regards work.like yourself i have my city and guilds and was wondering how hard it was to get a full licence. would you have any contacts you could throw my way, i'm flying out end of sept to validate and will try to check out the work situation when i'm there. any help and advice would be great. cheers
Old Jul 19th 2009, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

Hi yes I was in Perth for twenty years arg,they are a bit different to other states. When I came over they did insist on previous experience in WA. You would know that by reading my other blogs. As for your licence I don,t think it,s that hard but it,s the time and the cost.
They have modified some of the content. I still have a few plumbing mates there, I shall give them a bell and ask them what the score is now. I worked on sites for a while but eventually opted for maintenance in the hospital system. It gets bloody hot in Perth through the summer months, too hot for working outside I found.
You will have to enrolle at the local tafe, find one close to where you are going to live. They do the plumbing licences there, I did my gas licences in Fremantle.
Best wishes
Graham

PS Pride plumbing have a good reputation a few of my mates started there, I think it,s a jock that runs it.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

wannabe in oz will become famous soon enough

thanks for that, i'll look into that when i go out in sept. thanks again mate