British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Plumbers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/plumbers-119/)
-   -   getting a full license (https://britishexpats.com/forum/plumbers-119/getting-full-license-611251/)

wardy2 May 26th 2009 4:41 am

getting a full license

thanks for looking.

Can anyone tell me how long after getting a provisional licence is it that you can go and get a full licence is there a minimum time you have to wait etc.

If we have to pay so be it :eek:

Also does anyone know if we get a SA license will it transfer to qld without much problem

cheers

rosscov1970 May 26th 2009 12:53 pm

Re: getting a full license

Originally Posted by wardy2 (Post 7604176)
thanks for looking.

Can anyone tell me how long after getting a provisional licence is it that you can go and get a full licence is there a minimum time you have to wait etc.

Also does anyone know if we get a SA license will it transfer to qld without much problem

cheers

Have you had any joy yet on the licensing front? We had to contact local govt. here in SA before the buck passing stopped. This was fighting for a full gas fitters/plumbers license.

Think licenses are now recognised state wide.

wardy2 May 26th 2009 1:10 pm

we were told on Friday that actually after all the toing and froing, that actually we were misinformed for the past 4/5 months and that hubby is actually entitled to apply for a provisional licence. :eek:

The system is a joke if the people at the plumbers board don't know their job theres no hope for any of us.

thanks for the reply :thumbsup:

rosscov1970 May 26th 2009 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by wardy2 (Post 7605433)
we were told on Friday that actually after all the toing and froing, that actually we were misinformed for the past 4/5 months and that hubby is actually entitled to apply for a provisional licence. :eek:

The system is a joke if the people at the plumbers board don't know their job theres no hope for any of us.

thanks for the reply :thumbsup:

Great news. We endured over a full year fighting for full recognition, although the initial restricted license wasn't difficult to obtain. Understand completely your frustration as everyone seems to have different advice and we came very close many times to just saying **** it we're going back to the UK. But now we are established as a ltd company and reaping the rewards. Hope you enjoy similar success, but when you have to fight so hard for it, it tastes all the sweeter.:thumbsup:

wardy2 May 26th 2009 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by rosscov1970 (Post 7605465)
Great news. We endured over a full year fighting for full recognition, although the initial restricted license wasn't difficult to obtain. Understand completely your frustration as everyone seems to have different advice and we came very close many times to just saying **** it we're going back to the UK. But now we are established as a ltd company and reaping the rewards. Hope you enjoy similar success, but when you have to fight so hard for it, it tastes all the sweeter.:thumbsup:

to be honest we are very close to saying **** it, we are scared of losing even more money than we have lost all ready.

so glad it worked out for you a positive story really encourages me that maybe we can achieve a level of success here. :thumbsup:

rosscov1970 May 26th 2009 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by wardy2 (Post 7605531)
to be honest we are very close to saying **** it, we are scared of losing even more money than we have lost all ready.

so glad it worked out for you a positive story really encourages me that maybe we can achieve a level of success here. :thumbsup:

If you have enough cash to keep you ticking along I would say stick with it. You've already spent so much in time, money and energy to get this far it's terribly sad to think it would all be for nothing. If you have the means keep at it and sometime soon, like us, you will look back and say, 'shit that was a fight and a half, but we got there.'

nick25016677 Jun 7th 2009 10:46 am

wow i am on my way out to melbourne with my family in the next 3-6 months i am a plumber gas fitter and looking at some of the posts you guys have done i am worried about what to expect and how hard it is to get the full licence,my bloody immigration consultant did not tell me it would be this hard,was under the impression the vetasses system would make it easier.is there any advice or contacts you guys could suggest i contact ta nick

rosscov1970 Jun 8th 2009 11:08 am

Originally Posted by nick25016677 (Post 7641895)
wow i am on my way out to melbourne with my family in the next 3-6 months i am a plumber gas fitter and looking at some of the posts you guys have done i am worried about what to expect and how hard it is to get the full licence,my bloody immigration consultant did not tell me it would be this hard,was under the impression the vetasses system would make it easier.is there any advice or contacts you guys could suggest i contact ta nick

Can't really offer any advice for Melbourne as our experience was here in SA and every state appears to make it up as they go along, depending on who is in charge on the day. You will need to contact the relevant licensing body in Victoria and be prepared to prove recognition of prior learning. So much of it is a farce and a money making exercise, but hopefully things will run more smoothly for you.:fingerscrossed:

nick25016677 Jun 8th 2009 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by rosscov1970 (Post 7605465)

hey rosscov how you finding things is oz at the mo i was due to go to bris with my family but the qld government put a block on all applications due to the current situation so we are now going down to vic how is it what with the credit crunch are yo still getting enough work hope all is well speak to you soon hopefully nick

rosscov1970 Jun 9th 2009 11:38 am

Originally Posted by nick25016677 (Post 7646146)
hey rosscov how you finding things is oz at the mo i was due to go to bris with my family but the qld government put a block on all applications due to the current situation so we are now going down to vic how is it what with the credit crunch are yo still getting enough work hope all is well speak to you soon hopefully nick

Hi Nick

You're probably in a better position relocating as a gasfitter to Vic. than Qld as the cooler climate dictates that central heating is more prevalent. SA has a similar climate to Vic and as a competent, licensed gasfitter availabilty of work appears to be unaffected by the economic climate. Once you establish yourself as proficient and reliable, word quickly travels and as with any trade, you are in demand. The hardest part is getting the license, but hopefully your experience will be less frustrating than ours.:fingerscrossed:

nick25016677 Jun 15th 2009 8:23 am

Originally Posted by rosscov1970 (Post 7644546)
Can't really offer any advice for Melbourne as our experience was here in SA and every state appears to make it up as they go along, depending on who is in charge on the day. You will need to contact the relevant licensing body in Victoria and be prepared to prove recognition of prior learning. So much of it is a farce and a money making exercise, but hopefully things will run more smoothly for you.:fingerscrossed:

thanks for your help have found a guy in vic plumbing body who has sent me all the info i need ta

nick25016677 Jun 15th 2009 8:26 am

Originally Posted by rosscov1970 (Post 7648117)
Hi Nick

You're probably in a better position relocating as a gasfitter to Vic. than Qld as the cooler climate dictates that central heating is more prevalent. SA has a similar climate to Vic and as a competent, licensed gasfitter availabilty of work appears to be unaffected by the economic climate. Once you establish yourself as proficient and reliable, word quickly travels and as with any trade, you are in demand. The hardest part is getting the license, but hopefully your experience will be less frustrating than ours.:fingerscrossed:

how long you been there sounds like the vetasses system is a complete farce then it does not make it easier to get out there just makes more money for the government oh well cant be any worse than what we are leaving behind CHUCK A PRAWN ON THE BARBI I WILL BE THERE SOON!!!

yorky1 Jul 1st 2009 7:47 pm

You may struggle a bit in Queensland, they all have different ways of soing things. Some states make you do other tests, it,s alla bit strange. They guard their plumbing with gusto. But at the end of the day I have worked with as many crap licenced plumbers as none licenced, it,s all a bit of a farce really
Graham

cheers[/QUOTE]

mchand11 Jul 3rd 2009 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by nick25016677 (Post 7665734)
thanks for your help have found a guy in vic plumbing body who has sent me all the info i need ta

Hi Nick,

We're in Portsmouth UK, thinking of making the move early next year. My partner has got his City and Guilds but not the full NVQ...what chance do you think he'll have of getting a job in Vic, or indeed just of getting the License!

Can you please post the contact details for the 'plumbing body' in Vic?? That would be a huge help, then I can start weeding around.

Thanks mate,
:p
Melissa (Aussie in UK with UK partner)

yorky1 Jul 4th 2009 6:21 am

Every plumber that goes over has to sit a one day trade test, just the basic stuff but you will have to use an oxy set. it doesn,t matter if you are NVQ or not you will have to do your licence if you want to work for your self. This takes about a year and costs a couple of grand. Not much work around at the mo so you may be a while getting a job.
Graham