British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Plumbers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/plumbers-119/)
-   -   General Plumbers in Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/plumbers-119/general-plumbers-australia-699999/)

Paul Louw Jan 10th 2011 3:07 pm

General Plumbers in Australia

Good day all,

I'm in the process of applying for a state sponsored skilled visa to Austalia as a general plumber. I'm in the process of applying for my vetassess skills test. I have 11 yrs experience (domestic/renovations/new builds) covering all aspects of plumbing except gas installations/repairs as I don't have any gas qualifications. During my paper based assessment (for the vetassess) I've hit a stumbling block because of my lack gas experience. Has anyone else out there had the same kind of problem? Is it true that one has a choice to choose between roofing or gas work during the assessment test? I would be very grateful for any advice.
After reading through many of the helpful threads I'm finding it more and more daunting about the process of emmigrating, especially at the idea of having to go through all kinds of licensing in Oz just to get your skills recognised!

I'd be grateful for anykind of advice from people in the same situation.

Good luck and thanks

Paul

steve_kelly_and_boys Jan 13th 2011 10:30 am

Re: General Plumbers in Australia

how are you fella

yes you can choose between roofing and the gas on the vetassess assessment , when i done mine everyone chose the gas as the roofing looked complicated

with the gas it is just a straight forward bit of pipework similiar to what you would have done in college on a board

bit of barrell and then copper to certain measured points

really easy nothing to get worried about (although you do as there is a lot riding on it)

any questions just contact me

Paul Louw Jan 16th 2011 2:31 pm

Re: General Plumbers in Australia

Originally Posted by steve_kelly_and_boys (Post 9098310)
how are you fella

yes you can choose between roofing and the gas on the vetassess assessment , when i done mine everyone chose the gas as the roofing looked complicated

with the gas it is just a straight forward bit of pipework similiar to what you would have done in college on a board

bit of barrell and then copper to certain measured points

really easy nothing to get worried about (although you do as there is a lot riding on it)

any questions just contact me

Hiya,

Thank you for your reply. What you said about gas is very straight forward but my concern is if they ask any theoretical questions relating to gas. Do they? I've just sent of my paperwork to Aus and hope to hear back from them in 6 weeks time giving me the go ahead for my practical skills test.

Cheers for your help
Go well