Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Plumbers
Reload this Page >

Commercial Plumbing/ pipefitter

Commercial Plumbing/ pipefitter

Old Jun 1st 2020, 7:40 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2020
Location: Stoke
Posts: 3
chopper9495 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Commercial Plumbing/ pipefitter

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum and was hoping for some guidance and advice

basically I don’t want to work overseas right now(wel I haven’t cancelled that out due to my lack of knowledge) maybe I do? Haha

currently I am 19 years old, I have completed my NVQ level 2 in plumbing, and currently in progress of my level 3 and my level 2 domestic gas which I will have completed this time next year, I work on commercial based buildings so if this effected working overseas

i don’t really have a particular country I’d like to move to I’m just open to ideas, and to see what people think I should keep doing and maybe things I could begin to do to prepare myself,

any advice would be much appreciated as my knowledge on this whole thing isn’t great

thanks guys!
chopper9495 is offline  
Old Jun 2nd 2020, 6:15 pm
  #2  
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
PMM's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 9,617
PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Commercial Plumbing/ pipefitter

Hi

Originally Posted by chopper9495 View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum and was hoping for some guidance and advice

basically I don’t want to work overseas right now(wel I haven’t cancelled that out due to my lack of knowledge) maybe I do? Haha

currently I am 19 years old, I have completed my NVQ level 2 in plumbing, and currently in progress of my level 3 and my level 2 domestic gas which I will have completed this time next year, I work on commercial based buildings so if this effected working overseas

i don’t really have a particular country I’d like to move to I’m just open to ideas, and to see what people think I should keep doing and maybe things I could begin to do to prepare myself,

any advice would be much appreciated as my knowledge on this whole thing isn’t great

thanks guys!
1. You could look into the Canada IEC program (when it re-opens). It gives you a 2 year open work permit, allowing you to work in Canada. Note you should finish your apprenticeship in the UK before heading out to Canada, as non PRs/Citizenship aren't usually allowed in most provinces to work as registered apprentices.
PMM is offline  
Old Jun 2nd 2020, 6:22 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2020
Location: Stoke
Posts: 3
chopper9495 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Commercial Plumbing/ pipefitter

Originally Posted by PMM View Post
Hi



1. You could look into the Canada IEC program (when it re-opens). It gives you a 2 year open work permit, allowing you to work in Canada. Note you should finish your apprenticeship in the UK before heading out to Canada, as non PRs/Citizenship aren't usually allowed in most provinces to work as registered apprentices.

thanks for the reply, would u recommend Canada as the best location?
chopper9495 is offline  
Old Jun 2nd 2020, 6:24 pm
  #4  
Lt Col (Retd)
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 48,174
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Commercial Plumbing/ pipefitter

English speaking and relying on a trade to support a visa, you don't have many options, realistically only Canada, Australia, and NZ. In the Middle East you'll be competing for work against Asian migrant workers who will work for a fraction of what you'd need to make it worth your while to go there.
Pulaski is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 11:03 pm
  #5  
Somewhere
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 35,451
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Commercial Plumbing/ pipefitter

Make sure you finish the apprenticeship to the best level, at least a level 3 & more if poss.

For New Zealand to be a goer the trade would need to be in shortage of qualified trade workers.

If you can complete your apprenticeship and have some work experience in the next couple of years, you could then look to uplift a working holiday visa for Oz, NZ, Canada perhaps ( COVID19 travel restrictions may allow down the line) .
That would give you the chance to experience a country without totally committing. It is for young people to holiday and work a little abroad.
BEVS is offline  
Old Jun 4th 2020, 5:32 am
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2020
Location: Stoke
Posts: 3
chopper9495 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Commercial Plumbing/ pipefitter

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Make sure you finish the apprenticeship to the best level, at least a level 3 & more if poss.

For New Zealand to be a goer the trade would need to be in shortage of qualified trade workers.

If you can complete your apprenticeship and have some work experience in the next couple of years, you could then look to uplift a working holiday visa for Oz, NZ, Canada perhaps ( COVID19 travel restrictions may allow down the line) .
That would give you the chance to experience a country without totally committing. It is for young people to holiday and work a little abroad.

thanks mate
chopper9495 is offline  
Old Jun 4th 2020, 9:04 am
  #7  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 29,492
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Commercial Plumbing/ pipefitter

Originally Posted by chopper9495 View Post
thanks for the reply, would u recommend Canada as the best location?
If you want to work as a plumber when you move, then you're a way off being able to move to Canada. To get certified in Canada and be able to work as a plumber you'll need to have worked for a certain amount of hours as a qualified plumber (which you'll have to prove when you apply for certification). Off the top of my head I think it's 7200 hours so around 3-4 years of full-time work but do search the Canada forums for more info on the exact hours needed.

Oz or NZ may be more flexible if you wanted an English speaking country? Or you could certainly move to Canada (I agree with BEVS, a WHV is a great idea), if you weren't bothered about being able to work as a plumber during that time.

HTH, best of luck.
christmasoompa is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.