British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Plumbers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/plumbers-119/)
-   -   Apprentice plumber / plumbers mate (https://britishexpats.com/forum/plumbers-119/apprentice-plumber-plumbers-mate-526997/)

chris1386 Apr 5th 2008 11:04 am

Apprentice plumber / plumbers mate

Anyone know what pay an apprentice plumber would earn, or a plumbers mate( aged 42 3/4)?

Catch Apr 5th 2008 11:24 am

Re: Apprentice plumber / plumbers mate

Originally Posted by chris1386 (Post 6162601)
Anyone know what pay an apprentice plumber would earn, or a plumbers mate( aged 42 3/4)?

probably apprentice would start on $ 8 an hour,over here there is no "plumbers mates",at 42 you would be mad to start plumbing,too much digging and wall chasing.Get your hgv licence over here and you will earn more a time served plumber.If you read the threads on here uk plumbers with years of experience have major hassle getting established here.If you want to train here,welder boilermaker,diesel fitter,heavy plant operator, or anything to do with mining will be a far better choice.Dont believe things you read in the uk press or in the aussie press ,plumbers do not earn a fortune here:zzz:

chris1386 Apr 5th 2008 11:35 am

Thanks for the reply, my problem is that im a Corgi gas fitter, have been 26 years and ive always done plumbing work, as well as joinery, roofing etc etc.Trouble is im only qualified as a gas fitter.So Im assured ive no chance of getting a plumbing licence, unless i go back to being an apprentice,and gas fitting isnt enough to keep me busy.Ive read somewhere that HGV drivers are wanted but only with a number of years of experience, which whilst im sure I could get trained and pass, i have no experience.Also would it be wise to train in the UK and are the licences recognised in Oz?Or am I better to learn in Oz? I have my visa and really want to get going but would like the added security of knowing I'll find work when I get there.Any input is really welcomed, so thanks for taking the time to read and respond to this! Oh, one last thing, how much work is aailable in the mines? Any for a gas fitter? Or is learning to weld the way forward? Lots of questions, sorry;)

Catch Apr 6th 2008 1:26 am

Originally Posted by chris1386 (Post 6162690)
Thanks for the reply, my problem is that im a Corgi gas fitter, have been 26 years and ive always done plumbing work, as well as joinery, roofing etc etc.Trouble is im only qualified as a gas fitter.So Im assured ive no chance of getting a plumbing licence, unless i go back to being an apprentice,and gas fitting isnt enough to keep me busy.Ive read somewhere that HGV drivers are wanted but only with a number of years of experience, which whilst im sure I could get trained and pass, i have no experience.Also would it be wise to train in the UK and are the licences recognised in Oz?Or am I better to learn in Oz? I have my visa and really want to get going but would like the added security of knowing I'll find work when I get there.Any input is really welcomed, so thanks for taking the time to read and respond to this! Oh, one last thing, how much work is aailable in the mines? Any for a gas fitter? Or is learning to weld the way forward? Lots of questions, sorry;)

sent you a pm