Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Plumbers
Reload this Page >

Any Plumbing in OZ success stories

Any Plumbing in OZ success stories

Old May 23rd 2008, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Location: herts-sydney-herts-manchester...next stop mornington peninsula?
mandoz will become famous soon enoughmandoz will become famous soon enough
Default Any Plumbing in OZ success stories

I know the score....red tape and all that having looked into it thorougly now.

But... I would like to hear from those of you that either found paid work relativley quickly and were happy with that work OR got through the red tape and are no out the other side of that.

For those in the latter category I would ask was it worth sticking it out? I.e do you now have your own business, is there financial light at the end of the tunnel?
Old May 24th 2008, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all
Default Re: Any Plumbing in OZ success stories

i am starting to think there are no british plumbers in australia, either that or all plumbers are having a bad time and do not want to talk about it, surely not.
come on,,,, any info would be good.
john
Old May 25th 2008, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

SimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really nice

Originally Posted by johnknight001
i am starting to think there are no british plumbers in australia, either that or all plumbers are having a bad time and do not want to talk about it, surely not.
come on,,,, any info would be good.
john
I'll second that John. Either all the plumbers are going over and having a fantastic time and don't need to come back on here or they are all disappearing into a black hole.
Makes me wonder wether to use the plumbing to go and then a change of direction on arrival!

Simon.
Old May 25th 2008, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all

hi simon
did you get through the paper asessments, im waiting on a date for the prac now. i have spoken to severall plumbers through family freinds, they all dont see what the fuss is, they are all working and having no probs atall, just a bit of persivirance needed.
Old May 25th 2008, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

SimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really nice

hi simon
did you get through the paper asessments, im waiting on a date for the prac now. i have spoken to severall plumbers through family freinds, they all dont see what the fuss is, they are all working and having no probs atall, just a bit of persivirance needed.
Hi John,

Not yet on the paper side, just been that busy workwise here. If I'm not out working I'm doing invoices, estimates and other paperwork. Just taking a couple of hours this morning to change my paperwork. My dates where all over the place and had to contact a few places to verify details.

My neices husband says that there is any amount of work (Brisbane area) so work availability shouldn't be a problem. He has is own rendering company so has contacts on sites.
We are planning to go out for a few weeks in September, double up a holiday with a bit of nosing around. Especially keen to get into one of the TAFE's and see what they have running and availability. Also look up a few plumbing firms and see what's what.

But it would still be good to hear sthe stories of people who been and done it.

Simon.
Old May 26th 2008, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

flumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really nice

Originally Posted by mandoz

But... I would like to hear from those of you that either found paid work relativley quickly and were happy with that work OR got through the red tape and are no out the other side of that.

For those in the latter category I would ask was it worth sticking it out? I.e do you now have your own business, is there financial light at the end of the tunnel?
I'm a plumber and have been here for over 3 years, got work very quickly left that job and got another who I worked for over a year.
Now have my own plumbing business doing well.
I know 3 other british plumbers in this area 1 working for himself and 2 working for companies so it can be done and it's not all doom and gloom although it has to be said there is a lot of shit in getting your licences pardon the pun!
Old May 27th 2008, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flumper
I'm a plumber and have been here for over 3 years, got work very quickly left that job and got another who I worked for over a year.
I know 3 other british plumbers in this area 1 working for himself and 2 working for companies so it can be done and it's not all doom and gloom although it has to be said there is a lot of shit in getting your licences pardon the pun!
It's good to hear somebody doing well, helps keep you focused.
Old May 28th 2008, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

truditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nice

Originally Posted by flumper
If it makes you feel any better, hubby has just had to renew his quals in the UK, (we are looking into Aus currently) at a cost of approx £3500, and he was given the "answers" during the classroom work...... the guy actually said this is what will come up in your exam..... He still has to do his Oil and LPG on top of that, and with Corgi costing around £200 per year.... need I say more..
Old May 28th 2008, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

I think it is sad that your partner was in a situation where he was "given the answers" this does detract from the argument about structured training being the backbone to having a trade qualification, anyone can claim to be a tradesman but actually completing an apprentiship and training to give underpinning knoledge in a trade then sitting exams which are designed to test your practical and mental knoledge, this is what seperates skilled trades people from chancers or peolpe that pay thousands of pounds for a 4 weeks course in plumbing that gives them a bit of paper and no actual understanding, i understand your partner is qualified and the above is not aimed at him.
john

Originally Posted by truditjh
If it makes you feel any better, hubby has just had to renew his quals in the UK, (we are looking into Aus currently) at a cost of approx £3500, and he was given the "answers" during the classroom work...... the guy actually said this is what will come up in your exam..... He still has to do his Oil and LPG on top of that, and with Corgi costing around £200 per year.... need I say more..

Last edited by johnknight001; May 28th 2008 at 8:36 am.
Old May 28th 2008, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

truditjh im not having a go at you, sorry if it seemed like that, i have met so many people lately moaning that they can not get into aus with there 5 min quals, moaning that they spent 5 grand and now it is not worth it, it does clearly say that x amount of hours study and work experiance is required.
once again sorry if it come across blunt.
john
Old May 28th 2008, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

truditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nice

truditjh im not having a go at you, sorry if it seemed like that, i have met so many people lately moaning that they can not get into aus with there 5 min quals, moaning that they spent 5 grand and now it is not worth it, it does clearly say that x amount of hours study and work experiance is required.
john

It didnt, hubby gets very very frustrated that people can come into this profession doing as it is now a 3 week class and 3 week placement and be as qualified as him, he is fully time served been in the trade since leaving school, he sees it as the gov trying to get their unemployment figures down and making it an "easy" route for people. What they dont get is that it took a five year apprenticeship for him to learn the basics of plumbing and heating, and then onwards from there. And you cant learn in 3 weeks what he learnt in five years... just makes a mockery of it all. Rant over and thank you,
Old May 28th 2008, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Apologies for deviating from the OP, I will now shut up.

Originally Posted by mandoz

Old May 28th 2008, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

john
Just checked up on you, thought I had read another thread recently where you had contributed, and we are in Norwich... small world eh
Old May 28th 2008, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

indeed it is a small world, what part of norwich are you.
Old May 28th 2008, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Hellesdon, Taverham, Auckland, Taverham and now back in Hellesdon and hopefully looking to go to Aus.....

indeed it is a small world, what part of norwich are you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.