British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Philippines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/)
-   -   Younger residents of Philippines info (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/younger-residents-philippines-info-904263/)

Danielb2103 Oct 7th 2017 12:40 pm

Younger residents of Philippines info

Hi I’d like to get some advise from younger 30-50 year olds who either live in the Philippines full time or work elsewhere part of the year. Please get in touch as I’d like to get some info.
Thanks
Daniel

mikemike Oct 7th 2017 2:41 pm

Re: Younger residents of Philippines info

Perhaps if you identified the areas that you are seeking info of, then you would get relevant responses?

Danielb2103 Oct 7th 2017 2:46 pm

It doesn’t really matter as it’s in the Philippines in general. I stay a couple hours outside Manila. When I say a couple hours I mean a few miles but with traffic and roads there a few hours

quiltman Oct 8th 2017 1:46 am

As this is British Expats, I presume you are looking for 30-50yr old Brits to respond? There are not many who live here, unless on something like a secondment term from their company as it is extremely difficult for foreigners to get a job here. As Mike says, give us some idea of what kind of advice you're looking for - social life, cost of living, job prospects etc and then we can be of help.

mikemike Oct 8th 2017 1:47 am

Sorry I cannot help you as have not got a clue what you are looking for other than a wide age grouping for advise that is only relevant to a specified age group with knowing what the area of advice would cover.

Best of luck

mikek1 Oct 8th 2017 3:28 am

:goodpost:

Originally Posted by quiltman (Post 12356190)
As this is British Expats, I presume you are looking for 30-50yr old Brits to respond? There are not many who live here, unless on something like a secondment term from their company as it is extremely difficult for foreigners to get a job here. As Mike says, give us some idea of what kind of advice you're looking for - social life, cost of living, job prospects etc and then we can be of help.

Daniel, it would appear to me that you have done very little research into all aspects of life in the Philippines. There are numerous internet sites that document and advise ex pats on all aspects of living here. I strongly advise you to read them and get a grasp of what you would actually encounter.
Unless you have a secondment from a established company finding employment in the Philippines would almost be impossible.
Even if you were to find employment the salary would inevitably be very low, and in all probability your living costs would exceed your salary, particularly if you have visions of a Western country lifestyle.
Most ex pats that live in the Philippines tend to be pensioners who do not need employment. There are countless blogs similar to yours who for some reason seem to think that the Philippines can offer something better than they are receiving from their home country. The majority unfortunately have visions of permanent sunshine, cheap living, unhindered beuracracy, etc..These aspirations are far from the truth..........as I have written do your research!

quiltman Oct 8th 2017 4:21 am

Daniel, it would appear to me that you have done very little research into all aspects of life in the Philippines. There are numerous internet sites that document and advise ex pats on all aspects of living here. I strongly advise you to read them and get a grasp of what you would actually encounter.
Unless you have a secondment from a established company finding employment in the Philippines would almost be impossible.
Even if you were to find employment the salary would inevitably be very low, and in all probability your living costs would exceed your salary, particularly if you have visions of a Western country lifestyle.
Most ex pats that live in the Philippines tend to be pensioners who do not need employment. There are countless blogs similar to yours who for some reason seem to think that the Philippines can offer something better than they are receiving from their home country. The majority unfortunately have visions of permanent sunshine, cheap living, unhindered beuracracy, etc..These aspirations are far from the truth..........as I have written do your research![/QUOTE]
:goodpost: The question is - Will Daniel return to the forum?

mikemike Oct 8th 2017 6:49 am

i am not sure that Daniel knows he is in the Philippines:)), then again maybe he is not lol

Danielb2103 Oct 8th 2017 8:08 am

I am well aware of wages in the Philippines I have been there 5 times. I am not looking for employment there. I imagine you’re a 70 plus American with too much time on your hands.

quiltman Oct 8th 2017 9:51 am

There is a clue in that this is BRITISH EXPATS Daniel.Right, so now we know you are not looking for employment here. how long do you intend staying at any one time and how will you support yourself. We want to help you but it is impossible without some detail from you. Can't speak for mike but I'm in my 70s, live with my English wife of 48 years with our two sons who are settled here. They set up a corporation a few years ago and are now just starting to make money. My eldest fits into your 30-50 category so ask specific questions and I'll get him to answer.

mikemike Oct 8th 2017 10:21 am

daniel i am within the age range and after your response to quiltman you can just go play with the traffic

Pollyana Oct 8th 2017 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Danielb2103 (Post 12356273)
I am well aware of wages in the Philippines I have been there 5 times. I am not looking for employment there. I imagine you’re a 70 plus American with too much time on your hands.

well if you are not looking for information about employment, what ARE you looking for?

Simon1983 Oct 8th 2017 10:23 pm

Hi Daniel. I fit into your bracket. What info do you want?
Also, I work here, not on a secondment, and my salary is OK.
There are not many younger expats here. Mostly the expats here and old, retired and very grumpy!

mikemike Oct 8th 2017 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by Simon1983 (Post 12356693)
Hi Daniel. I fit into your bracket. What info do you want?
Also, I work here, not on a secondment, and my salary is OK.
There are not many younger expats here. Mostly the expats here and old, retired and very grumpy!

Older, retired and very happy. d:po not suffer fools gladly as do not have the time to waste.

Raffin Oct 9th 2017 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Simon1983 (Post 12356693)

Very grumpy? You mean more grumpy than in the UK? It seems there are some good reasons to be grumpier as one ages eg lower testosterone, health issues, disgruntlement with younger people's ways, eg their inability to write in clear English.... oh, and their tendency to make spelling mistakes!

But I can think of a few factors that would lead to less grumpiness here. New relationships, better climate, lower cost of living, more deference. The main factor to increase it would be dealing with some of the inefficiencies here.