British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Philippines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/)
-   -   working visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/working-visa-774217/)

chris_ridden Oct 10th 2012 12:09 pm

working visa

Hi
I'm married to a Filipino citizen and we are moving next year to the philippines. She will be going 6 months before me so I can save money but I was wondering the best way to get a visa to live in the philippines.
Is it best to just go for the 28 days and apply for a longer visa when I'm already there?
It would be easier if we were going at the same time but it's just not practical.
Does anyone know the best kind of visa to get and how difficult it is to obtain?:confused:

googly Oct 11th 2012 5:55 am

Re: working visa

Hi,
As your wife is still a Filipino citizen you can apply for a 13a residents visa. If you can try and apply for it at a Philippine embassy abroad as it will probably be a lot less hassle than doing it here.

PeteinHongKong Oct 11th 2012 2:31 pm

Depending on your circumstances another option is to plan to enter the Philippines with your wife and get a Balikbayan stamp in your passport on arrival. This is not a visa but a privilege granted to returning Filipinos and their spouses. It is valid for one year and seems to me to have various advantages provided that you are able to travel out of the country and return together at least once a year. You may be asked to show a copy of your marriage certificate on arrival at immigration. The immigration officer has the discretion to grant or not grant the Balikbayan stamp as the case may be but I believe normally it is a straightforward process and you simply queue together in the Philippine national line. I have done this now maybe 8-10 times with my wife but have never actually stayed for more than about 3 weeks. You do not need to leave the country together with your wife.

Some of the advantages include, I believe, no visa extension fees, no reporting requirements and no need for an ACR card and a 13 A is not necessary. The basic condition is that you need to leave the country every 12 months. If you can manage it financially you could for example get a cheap flight to Hong Kong, meet up with your wife there and fly back together.

Just a suggestion.

Gazza-d Nov 12th 2012 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by PeteinHongKong (Post 10325725)
Depending on your circumstances another option is to plan to enter the Philippines with your wife and get a Balikbayan stamp in your passport on arrival. This is not a visa but a privilege granted to returning Filipinos and their spouses. It is valid for one year and seems to me to have various advantages provided that you are able to travel out of the country and return together at least once a year. You may be asked to show a copy of your marriage certificate on arrival at immigration. The immigration officer has the discretion to grant or not grant the Balikbayan stamp as the case may be but I believe normally it is a straightforward process and you simply queue together in the Philippine national line. I have done this now maybe 8-10 times with my wife but have never actually stayed for more than about 3 weeks. You do not need to leave the country together with your wife.

Some of the advantages include, I believe, no visa extension fees, no reporting requirements and no need for an ACR card and a 13 A is not necessary. The basic condition is that you need to leave the country every 12 months. If you can manage it financially you could for example get a cheap flight to Hong Kong, meet up with your wife there and fly back together.

Just a suggestion.

The major disadvantage is that you can't work on a BB visa.

piero Nov 14th 2012 12:57 pm

yes 2 good points first you will get 21 day on your own to extend but if you can travel together you can get the BB stamp you want to stay long term do the 13a visa. you don't need the srrv but i cant tell you how to get a BB if you travel alone as its not possible,had this been Europe