Work in the philipines

Old Feb 5th 2012, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

mickyf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work in the philipines

Hello All
I am currently living and working in the uk as a commercial vehicle body builder , i have been looking at moving to the manilla area to be with my girlfriend who lives there . I was just trying to find out if work is available to foreign workers and do jobs get offered to overseas workers moving to the philipines ? I would be gratefull of any advice .
Old Feb 8th 2012, 3:24 am
Just Joined

wkstat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work in the philipines

It would be next to impossible for you to work in your field in the Phil. Government regs. and the local workers would resist it.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

mickyf is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply .That has blown that idea out of the water then !!!!!! ... What type of work would they allow me to do really desperate to move to Phil !!! to be with the girlfriend . What sort of goverment regs are in place is there no way around them ?
Old Feb 12th 2012, 1:24 am
Just Joined

wkstat is an unknown quantity at this point

You could start your own business in the name of your gf. Labour is dirt cheap, around maybe 300 pesos a day.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a business (not retail) employing ten or more locals. Then there are special visa concessions open to you.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

PeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud of

I suggest you check out the many Philippine-based web forums for expats to get insider views on this. From what I understand starting a business and making money in the Philippines is a venture that requires very careful consideration - many have tried and few have succeeded. There is currently an active thread here:

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/ip...ew__getnewpost

This thread concerns a guy who wants to start a jeepney business in Cebu - a field which is pretty close to yours in some ways. Take a look and see what kind of advice the guy is receiving.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

When we ran jeepneys all were in my wife's name. However that was '97 and I was none resident at the time.
There are several foreign run businesses in Cebu, especially on Mactan. Most of them export the majority of their products.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

PeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tropicofcancer
When we ran jeepneys all were in my wife's name. However that was '97 and I was none resident at the time.
There are several foreign run businesses in Cebu, especially on Mactan. Most of them export the majority of their products.
Right. There are lots of businesses in Cebu in which foreigners have an interest and which normally operate in the wife's name - export (e.g., furniture, handicrafts) plus numerous small resorts, restaurants, pubs - mainly services I think.

I don't know about Manila and the vehicle body building business but in areas like this it may be more difficult to start up and be successful - the Philippines is not the kind of place that seems to welcome competition.