British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Philippines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/)
-   -   Why does life seem hard in the Philippines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/why-does-life-seem-hard-philippines-774478/)

tallchefuk Oct 13th 2012 3:28 am

Why does life seem hard in the Philippines

Hello

My name is Richard i am British and i am looking for any experienced expats to chat with I have been in manila for 4 weeks now and just about to move in to a condo, My problem is i cant find simple things like getting compost for growing seeds as i am a gardening enthusiast also trying to find ingredients for my style of cooking such as tomato paste or tomato puree and whipped cream... I do have some knowledge about what is available but when i ask the locals they look at me as if im the stupid one hahahaha anyone to chat with would be great from a very lost man lol

Richard :)

meeshelldee Oct 13th 2012 3:46 am

Re: Why does life seem hard in the Philippines

Hi Richard im not an experienced expat but Im a local here in the Philippines, and Im not located in Manila, I'm here in Cebu City. I think for your first problem like getting a compost for growing seeds if you're into gardening, I think you can find a house with a big space for gardening but it would be hard to find like that within metro manila, outside metro manila would be possible or if you're moving to a condo, just look for a condo that has garden on your unit. I know one here i Cebu that has garden on your own unit but Im not sure in Manila, Im sorry. And for your cooking needs, as far as i know they are all available here in the philippines as well.

tallchefuk Oct 13th 2012 3:53 am

Thankyou for your reply

I just need to know mybe the type or the name of suitable compost for seeds from a garden centre i find when i try to explain what i want they never understand me, As for simple ingredients its always hard to find things i need and after spending alot of time i eventually find what i am looking for....

Do you know if it is tomato puree or tomato paste

Many thanks

Richard

meeshelldee Oct 13th 2012 3:56 am

hahaha tell them you need ''PUNLA-AN'' for your seeds to grow. I think they will understand you with that word. hahaha are you living alone here in the philippines?

yes, its tomato paste.. its available even in a small sari-sari store.. if you know what I mean. :))

tallchefuk Oct 13th 2012 4:04 am

Hello

Thankyou again i am living with my wife she is filipino and problem is she knows everything to do with life here but she knows nothing about cooking or gardening so im solo on those 2 subjects hey thanks for your help just a little help goes a long way here hahaha

Hopefully one day i can help someone who is stuck...

Take care all the best:)

meeshelldee Oct 13th 2012 4:07 am

you're welcome. I hope, I was able to answer your questions and needs. till then. :)

blackbear1137 Oct 13th 2012 10:52 pm

i found cream, hp sauce,my favorite, and tomatoes in tins paste pestoe stc etc in my local SM ,in the international section.

googly Oct 14th 2012 6:46 am

All the items you mentioned are easy to find in Manila. Just go to SM, Robinsons or any of the bigger shopping malls. You can get compost in ACE hardware which is also in these malls.
If your are looking for British foods there is a store in Festival Mall, Alabang. Its a bit expensive though!

piero Oct 16th 2012 1:29 pm

also our accent its there just takes time

sunnydays Dec 1st 2012 4:12 am

Hi Richard,
I'm another gardening nut.......ACE hardware offer you a choice of soil-less compost to bring on your seeds, they also have a selection of seeds and chemicals for the insects etc.
Most of the locals in the outskirts use a mixture of rice husks and coconut husks for their compost, adding a handful of soil for the trace elements.
You will find that you also have a small batch of rice seedlings that have escaped the grinder haha.
The large tomatoes are very easy to grow and in the supermarkets are 30 pesos each !!! Try some from seed, make up a grow bag like UK. The ordinary tomatoes in the shops are small under ripe fiascos but your homegrown big boys will be fine......like the large spanish ones that slice thinly in sandwiches.

JosephA Dec 16th 2012 10:20 pm

Good to know you can get some UK-style foods in Robinsons. I'm in Lapu Lapu in/ just outside Cebu and it's tricky to get quite a few items that are basics in the UK. Curry sauce; HP sauce; Heinz - baked beans, salad cream, mayonnaise, tomato soup; good ol' fish and chips; cheddar cheese which is affordable; pickled onions; chutney; cider; decent pizza; campbells cup-a-soups. Woke up this morning with immense cravings for all of it!!

I lived in Kuching, Malaysia for 3 years prior to coming to Philippines and although not all of those foods were available, most of them were albeit generally rather costly. Nevertheless, I loved the Kuching food, where the food I've experienced here in Lapu land is thus far found to be thoroughly wanting.

tropicofcancer Dec 16th 2012 11:51 pm

Well JosephA you are in luck. You live in Lapu Lapu so just over the bridge from Gaisano Mandaue. They recently extended it, and the supermarket is more spacious and improved. They are continually upping their foreign foods.
The best place for Cheddar is in Fooda Consolacion Coon brand is good, mild is P176 for 250g, Bega is a little more expensive. SM Consolacion and NRA also stock Cheddar, they usually have four brands available. Fooda is cheaper by some 20%.
Gaisano Mandaue frequently have UK biscuits at a price, plus other items on an ad hoc basis. None of the stores have had plain baked beans in tomato sauce for over a year.
White Gold in NRA also do cheeses, and often have some British Goods in stock.
Gaisano Mandaue has many varieties of cheese, which is "cut off the round."
Last Saturday they had cherries for P889 a kilo.
Robinson's and Rosita's stock some British foods as well, but a longer journey.

Gazza-d Dec 17th 2012 2:02 pm

We did find Hienz tomato sauce on our last trip in a local supermarket. I think the golden rule is if you come across something from the home country buy plenty as you may not see it again for somewhile.

JosephA Dec 17th 2012 6:23 pm

TropicOfCancer, thanks for letting me know about the "stashes". Really appreciated! I just wish I resided a little closer to the bridge then I could hoard, a la Doomsday Preppers :-) Mind you, there is a Robinsons not so far from me, so that ought to be the initial target. What does perplex me is that you can't get non-meat-based baked beans (I'm vegetarian). I know they are easily sourced online but by-jingo, they are costly! Never mind however, if I can lay my hands on some other Heinzey-styled foods prior to the 25th, then I'm in for a brighter Christmas for sure!

Gazza-d, thanks also for your input. There's lots of tomato sauces on the shelves (although perhaps not as good as Heinz) but yet nada brown sauces. I hear you about buying lots at any one time in case the source dries up - good call!

JosephA Dec 17th 2012 7:00 pm

Part of the problem is my Filipino girlfriend. She insists on watching the British cooking programs - Jamie Oliver, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, Heston Blumenthal, et al. I often wake up the morning after with something of a British food hangover :-)