Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

What documents are required for a 9A visa? (Indian national resident in the UK)

What documents are required for a 9A visa? (Indian national resident in the UK)

Old Jan 7th 2023, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

JohnDoe1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What documents are required for a 9A visa? (Indian national resident in the UK)

I'm an Indian national resident in the UK for 20+ years. I would like to apply for a tourist visa to visit the Philippines for the first time.

I take it I have to start by filling in the application at the visa.gov.ph site. The application is asking what docs I'm providing.

But what do I NEED to provide?

Some sites suggest that in addition to my passport I need to provide:
  • Travel itinerary or ticket/flight reservation
  • Proof of financial capacity: Bank statement of the latest six (6) months along with: tax payments, employment certificate with remuneration, proof of business income OR letter of guarantee from the sponsor with proof of financial capacity
  • Documents proving ties to the home country or country of residence such as employment certificate or property documents
  • Hotel accommodation reservation or any proof of lodging
  • Proof of UK residence (perhaps my BRP card?)
  • Passport-size photo taken within 3mos of application

Seriously? I need to provide all that including buying a plane ticket and paying for a hotel ...before I'm granted the visa? Or am I understanding this all wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 7th 2023, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What documents are required for a 9A visa? (Indian national resident in the

Go to the UK Philippine Embassy site and then to Visa services. Seems you make an initial "unofficial" online application. There is a list of minimum requirements. They say they will get back to you about making an official application.

https://londonpe.dfa.gov.ph/consular-matters/visa

Old Jan 8th 2023, 8:27 am
Just Joined

Default Re: What documents are required for a 9A visa? (Indian national resident in the

Thanks for your reply, Raffin, much appreciated.

Originally Posted by Raffin
londonpe.dfa.gov.ph/consular-matters/visa
Yes, that's exactly where I went. And if you follow the link on that site to make an application, you arrive at the visa.gov.ph site that I mentioned earlier. The visa.gov.ph site requires you to fill a form, and one of the fields is about documents being provided. You have to tick boxes to say what documents you are submitting. Included in there are boxes for flight tickets, hotel accommodation etc.

Do I need to tick those boxes, or not? If I tick them then I assume I'm later obliged to provide those documents to complete my application ie book tickets/accommodation etc prior to getting the visa.

Information on other sites suggests that all these docs, and more, are mandatory (as per the list I provided in my OP). So if I don't tick those boxes I'm concerned that my application will get rejected.

I'm seeking clarification on what documents are really required. Members here may have had family / friends visiting them who, like me, are not British passport holders. I was hoping they'd be familiar with the formalities.

Old Jan 8th 2023, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnDoe1
Thanks for your reply, Raffin, much appreciated.

Yes, that's exactly where I went. And if you follow the link on that site to make an application, you arrive at the visa.gov.ph site that I mentioned earlier. The visa.gov.ph site requires you to fill a form, and one of the fields is about documents being provided. You have to tick boxes to say what documents you are submitting. Included in there are boxes for flight tickets, hotel accommodation etc.

Do I need to tick those boxes, or not? If I tick them then I assume I'm later obliged to provide those documents to complete my application ie book tickets/accommodation etc prior to getting the visa.

Information on other sites suggests that all these docs, and more, are mandatory (as per the list I provided in my OP). So if I don't tick those boxes I'm concerned that my application will get rejected.

I'm seeking clarification on what documents are really required. Members here may have had family / friends visiting them who, like me, are not British passport holders. I was hoping they'd be familiar with the formalities.
That would be ideal. Or pay a visa company for advice. They might know a way around the problem. But failing those ways why don't you just apply ticking the document boxes you can at this stage? The BI and other organisations here often have forms which ask for lots of requirements. But when you apply you find some are not necessary. Asking people to have everything paid and confirmed and them taking a risk not getting a visa seems to likely be something they are aware of puts people off visiting and won't be how they operate in practice.. Despite what the form says.
I would give them some evidence of funds to prove that you can afford to pay for your trip. Explain the reasons for your trip fully. If you hear nothing back positive yes, you don't go, but you haven't wasted a lot of money.

Old Jan 8th 2023, 10:22 am
Just Joined

Interesting, thanks. I just checked visa companies. They charge circa £150 to put the application in. This may be the best route to go.

I've no problem proving funds etc - that's easy, it was just the proof of ticket and proof of accommodation. These would require me to outlay money. While there's no reason why I should be refused a Philippine visa - I've got US, Australian and other visa stamps in my passport - I was still a bit nervous in these Covid times of shelling out money that may end up getting lost.

The trip is, well, for leisure purposes, but while there I may be looking at a few businesses with the intention of possibly making an acquisition at some point in the future. I've spoken with a few business brokers there and did a bit of background research into what type of businesses foreigners can't own etc. I still have to familiarise myself with a lot more, but I can't do that without visiting the Philippines and speaking with local corporate finance/corporate law professionals. I know, I know, buying a business is not for the faint hearted, but I do have decades of experience in M&A, and in cross border transactions, just not yet in the Philippines.

Do you think I should disclose the business angle ...or just stick to the tourism and leisure?
Old Jan 8th 2023, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Temporary visitors visa allows business purposes and to mention it will strengthen your application. I am sure.
Old Jan 8th 2023, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

UK 20+ years, do you have British citizenship. If so just go visa free.
Old Jan 8th 2023, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

I've chosen to not take a British passport as I would have to give up the Indian passport first, and give up some rights I have in India. India doesn't allow dual nationality.

I did take the test of English and booked for the Life in the UK test - prerequisites to getting a British passport - but decided against proceeding. The test of English was interesting though. They let you choose your own subject for a two minute speech. I chose to speak about the dire state of British schools. My topic: Why The English Don't Speak No English No More.

The examiner had a face like thunder all through my little display of eloquence but, I'm happy to report, she did pass me. I'm now the proud owner of a document certifying my ability to speak a few words of English. Unfortunately for me, the Philippine tourist visa application asks for different documents.

Last edited by JohnDoe1; Jan 8th 2023 at 3:14 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2023, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Raffin
Temporary visitors visa allows business purposes and to mention it will strengthen your application. I am sure.
I've now spoken with a Filipino lawyer. Apparently, this is a big no-no. He advises that if you're on a tourist visa you should not get involved in any business or do anything which leaves anyone suspicious that you're engaged in business or you can get arrested and spend a few months in a holding facility before you can even come before a court to get bail!

May I ask for a link or reference to your claim that a "temporary visitors visa allows business purposes"?
Old Jan 13th 2023, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

It was from a visa company here.
More information from a link to the BI site.It's in a bad state with many items non functional.
You get to this through FAQs:

https://immigration.gov.ph/faqs/visa...visitor-s-visa

Business activity has to be "temporary in nature".
But as i said what they do in practice here can differ from what they say so unless you are advised it would help you a lot to get one I would think best just to stick to "pleasure"..

Old Jan 14th 2023, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Thanks, Raffin. I'll check it out some more.