Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Westinghouse 30" Turbo Swirl Fan - Speed Capacitor

Westinghouse 30" Turbo Swirl Fan - Speed Capacitor

Old Nov 14th 2017, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

kompani101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Westinghouse 30" Turbo Swirl Fan - Speed Capacitor

We have three Westinghouse 30" Turbo Swirl, three speed, ceiling fans in the children's bedrooms of our house. One of the fans no longer runs at High speed just low and medium speed. I checked with Westinghouse and have purchased a replacement 5-wire capacitor (type CBB61).
I have zero experience with ceiling fans. I removed the light bowl and lower light plate and found access to the light switch, speed switch, reverse switch and 2-wire starter capacitor but no speed capacitor.
The motor section, with fitted blades, has screws on stop but I'm then unable to gain access into this section. There are additional screws but are impossible to get at as the light/switch chamber is in the way.
I have searched the Westinghouse(US) web site but can find no diagrams or information as to how to replace the speed capacitor. I checked on YouTube/Google but no videos/exploded diagrams/images of this type of fan or articles on how to replace this capacitor. I have removed the fan from the ceiling for easier access but don't want to dismantle something and make matters worse.
Does anyone know how to replace the speed capacitor on this type of ceiling fan?
Attached Thumbnails Westinghouse 30" Turbo Swirl Fan - Speed Capacitor-unique-ceiling-fans-singapore.jpg  
Old Nov 14th 2017, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Westinghouse 30" Turbo Swirl Fan - Speed Capacitor

When you find out I would love to know as well as I am suffering the same problem with our bedroom Westinghouse 30''(made in China)fan it is stuck on middle speed no matter what.

''have purchased a replacement 5-wire capacitor (type CBB61).'' Where did you get that from
Old Nov 14th 2017, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

I got the speed control capacitor from Lazada at 423p, free shipping, it arrived in 10 days.
( https://www.lazada.com.ph/black-cbb6...-52258569.html )
I emailed Westinghouse USA who asked me to contact their main dealership here in the Philippines which is CBK Hardware (email: [email protected] ) but I asked if they had them in stock and what price but they only said they were in stock and didn't give a price, I wrote back asking for the price so I could order one but they never replied.
I've just written to Westinghouse USA asking how to replace the 5-wire capacitor. If I get an answer I'll let you know.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kompani101
I got the speed control capacitor from Lazada at 423p, free shipping, it arrived in 10 days.
( https://www.lazada.com.ph/black-cbb6...-52258569.html )
I emailed Westinghouse USA who asked me to contact their main dealership here in the Philippines which is CBK Hardware (email: [email protected] ) but I asked if they had them in stock and what price but they only said they were in stock and didn't give a price, I wrote back asking for the price so I could order one but they never replied.
I've just written to Westinghouse USA asking how to replace the 5-wire capacitor. If I get an answer I'll let you know.
Ty for your response. this bulletin board has to be the only exceptional place on the net for expats no matter where they come from.

grateful for the effort
Old Nov 15th 2017, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

I have been given wrong information about these ceiling fans and how the speed is controlled. They only have one 2-wire capacitor for starting and do not use a 5-wire capacitor for speed control. The motor winding is 'tapped/connected' in several places to give different speeds as determined by the pull switch. So, the problem lies with either the motor or the pull switch, assuming the wiring is all OK. I checked the motor using a multimeter and that appears to be OK. I then tested the pull switch and it is not OK.
I am still awaiting a reply from Westinghouse to see if they will provide a wiring diagram but I found this information very helpful. The wire colours, voltages and switch terminal numbers are different to our fan but how it is generally connected appears to match up.
I'll update if/when I receive further information.
How to wire 3-speed fan switch
Old Nov 15th 2017, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Just gone from being simple to OMG!! with wiring in the Philippines as the additional X factor.

I look forward to further updates