Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Weekend activities in Manila

Weekend activities in Manila

Old Oct 30th 2010, 6:33 am
Just Joined

kml100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Weekend activities in Manila

I have moved to Manila about 4 months ago, and so far haven't found much to do over the weekends. Back in London I used to do yoga, leisurely strolling around the city, shopping, wall climbing, hanging out with friends, galleries etc.

I'd love to continue with yoga, but found that weekend classes are limited, and I have work commitments on weekdays. Strolling around the city isn't conducive given the weather and pollution. I'd like to pick up some weekly activities or a new hobby, like painting or acting, but where do I get classes?

Anyone has any ideas?

Manila has got good night live, but partying isn't really my thing.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weekend activities in Manila

Use Google it is a simple tool and look and behold !!!!

http://www.whatsonwhen.com/sisp/inde...&loc_id=133519
Old Nov 5th 2010, 7:12 am
Just Joined

carlos1602 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are loads on health clubs and keep fit centers. You can play golf and most sports as well and if you like a stroll or a decent walk then join the Makati Hash House Harriers as they have a weekly Hash or run. Make a trip to Boracay Island which is a haven for scuba and just a great beach with absolutely ridiculously cheap priced beach barbecues and nightly live bands. There are always decent theater productions on in Manila as well as international music stars giving concerts.

I have lived in Manila for over one year now and am never bored. Just look about but really you need to get to some of the other islands as well which are quite cheaply priced either by PAL, Zest Air or Cebu Pacific.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

Reactionkinetics is an unknown quantity at this point

Got some suggestions for you:
1. Trip to Boracay Island for white sand beaches and scuba diving (including beautiful Filipinas too )
2. Cebu City - for festive cultural celebrations (fiestas)
3. Pearl Farm in Davao City and Amanpulo in Palawan - world class exclusive resorts.
4. Makati City - Ayala Centre, Greenbelt, Powerplant (these are the best shopping centres in the Philippines - in my opinion)
5. Tagaytay City for a breathtaking views and sceneries with cool climate
6. Health clubs - they are everywhere i.e. Fitness First in Ayala Alabang
7. Villa Escudero in Laguna -Filipino culture at its best

PM me if you need more info.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

Much like being in London on your own it can be lonely without a purpose or group of friends to hang out with. Luckily be a foreingner you will be a star here in the PI where ever you go. The experience is fun to begin with but after a while it becomes tedious. We were waiting to have our house built and found a tutorial group nearby quite by accident. The owner and friend became our friends and we made weekly trips to their premisses to teach the youngsters things. We are not teachers. Simple things like games of chess, knot tying, manopoly, word games etc. It became quite fun and at the same time you are teaching the kids how to improve there pronounciations. If you have a heavy accent forget it!!
Many of the Filipinas do not use the shorten abrieviated words such as we'll, or who's and they will benefit from meeting you. We found that we were speaking slower and "opening the mouth" wider to ease communications. We enjoyed ourselves. Christmas parties we were invited to and I got them singing "Londons burning" etc.
For you it will mean finding a group to join. Being volutary helps a great deal. I am not a public speaker at all, neither is my Filipina wife but once you got going with a young audience its easy,......give it a try.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 8:19 am
Just Joined

Danish_girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I'm a danish girl just moved to Makati, and i might be interested in doing some things together. I also replied to Dave thread - maybe we can all meet up?

How old are you?

/Mette
Old Mar 20th 2011, 11:09 am
Just Joined

Jstin4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi kml100

I'm in a similar position to you, arrived in Manila 3 month ago from London. As you mentioned finding amenties such as galleries is a little hard. Although there are a few in the city centre.

Retrospectively I've tended to have one weekend busy, visiting Puerto Galera or Tagaytay for example. And then a quiet weekend where I rest and stay indoors cooking, reading, or go out locally. So its kind of do the tourist thing one weekend, and then the reclusive thing the other!

But aside from thar I guess there are a few cinemas, nice restaurants, an abundance and variety of malls. But in terms of lifestyle and routine its very different from London - Not in a bad way, but in a very different way.

In terms of my suggestion... I think maybe consider places within Manila and the Philippines you may want to visit. I wish I could help more though! If I can think of anything in the future I will update.

I'm interested to learn what other people suggest, particularly within the arts community/creative as well.

All the best!

L
Old Mar 30th 2011, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

limetree1 is an unknown quantity at this point

If it's exercise, give Barre3 a try, at Rockwell or in the Fort near The Spa (mixture of Yoga, Pilates and Ballet). Thay have classes during the week and at weekends loads of different times to suit.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 4:34 am
Just Joined

bosh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I have just recently moved to Makati as well and looking for things to do and people to hang out with. Would anyone be interested in meeting up for coffee/tea/tequila ?

Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:09 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

After a Friday night in P Bugos there doesn’t seem to be any weekend…
Old Apr 24th 2011, 4:46 am
Just Joined

sore_thumb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bosh
Hi,

I have just recently moved to Makati as well and looking for things to do and people to hang out with. Would anyone be interested in meeting up for coffee/tea/tequila ?

Hi! Am I too late for the coffee/tea/tequila?
Old May 23rd 2011, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Paul B will become famous soon enoughPaul B will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
After a Friday night in P Bugos there doesn’t seem to be any weekend…

Ave. P Burgos, happy memories of my first ever night in the Philippines.

I have no idea how it happened, but at 7am the next morning we were sat in Manila yacht club, and it is all a bit of a blur after that. That was 18 years ago, and a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then...
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Oliver10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Danish_girl
Hi

I'm a danish girl just moved to Makati, and i might be interested in doing some things together. I also replied to Dave thread - maybe we can all meet up?

How old are you?

/Mette
Hi,

I've just arrived from the UK. I'm 27 and would like to meet people in the area.

Let me know if you are still around
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 10:35 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul B

Ave. P Burgos, happy memories of my first ever night in the Philippines.

I have no idea how it happened, but at 7am the next morning we were sat in Manila yacht club, and it is all a bit of a blur after that. That was 18 years ago, and a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then...
Many a young mans life changed for ever on Padre Burgos......