We Miss Northeners

Old Dec 1st 2019, 8:11 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We Miss Northerners

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hubby is a Wooleyback, Runcorn born and bred. We lived in Chester for many years. Sister and family have lived in Warrington for almost 40 yrs. She was a teacher in Woolston. If people ask they say they are from Manchester.

Sorry to hijack your thread P11.
TheOriginalMrDreamy's family are from Warrington, and we lived there for quite a while (I worked in St Helens, and then Altrincham before I had the kids). On holiday overseas together with his parents, we were asked where we were from. "Warrington," I said, "it's near Liverpool". Afterwards, my father-in-law pulled me aside - "always say it's near Manchester rather than Liverpool - we don't want to be associated with Scousers" (apologies to Scousers )
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 2:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
TheOriginalMrDreamy's family are from Warrington, and we lived there for quite a while (I worked in St Helens, and then Altrincham before I had the kids). On holiday overseas together with his parents, we were asked where we were from. "Warrington," I said, "it's near Liverpool". Afterwards, my father-in-law pulled me aside - "always say it's near Manchester rather than Liverpool - we don't want to be associated with Scousers" (apologies to Scousers )
If they were Australians you could have just said it was a suburb of London.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 4:53 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
lol.. I remember a news program here where something happened "just north of London" - I'm fairly sure it was Derby. Mind you, in Australian terms...
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Me and My Family

Hubby is a Wooleyback, Runcorn born and bred. We lived in Chester for many years. Sister and family have lived in Warrington for almost 40 yrs. She was a teacher in Woolston. If people ask they say they are from Manchester.

Sorry to hijack your thread P11.

Yikes ( sorry I stumbled on this thread by mistake ) why say Manchester.? They are in Cheshire!! I would far rather 'own' Cheshire than Manchester..Or oops has Warrington been 'pushed' into yet another area now

The government has b*****d about with our county lines so many times ... for political purposes There's hardly anything left of Lancashire anymore ( poor
Queen denied her income ) I'm proud to be a Lancastrian .. but was born on the Cheshire/ Lancashire border.. Supported ManU most of my life ..only because much older sister went out with one of the team for awhile.. I got dragged to the games when she was supposed to be babysitting me.OH is a ManC supporter and is now a VERY happy bunny as they have finally made it to the top. What a difference a ton of money makes..and an owner that doesn't see the team as just a 'cash cow'...Ah for the days when a player actually came from Manchester ,or was even English.I see no point in it now.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I've been called a Woollyback in my time but my accent is very definitely Lancashire, though I can pass as a Scouser if I need to. I used to go swimming at Parr baths occasionally, but preferred the baths at Prescot, which were closer, me being from Eccleston. Hello to you to even if you do support ......no, I can't bring myself to type the lesser team from Manchester. CTID

Aah Prescot .. a name from the past. where my father and grandfather came from. Grandpa was a watchmaker and clock maker My father used to regale me with storied of 'going in the carriage to Lord Derby's stately home to wind up all the clocks.!!!
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Default Re: We Miss Northeners

Preston...that’s not wooleyback land though is it?

I used to visit Preston back in the 70’s...Grimsargh/Longridge.

I was a civil servant in Preston for two years ( for my sins ..dear god ) worked in Land Charges at the town hall.. for of all people .that legend of football. Tom Finney's wife( who was ......I can't write it ) Went to their home on occasion for drinks.. ( xmas etc) What a lovely man he was... she....? can't write it
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Old Dec 2nd 2019, 1:58 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

You could say the same thing to Geordies. The North of England is Northumberland, Co. Durham and Cumbria. You lot are all midlanders. End of.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 9:32 pm
Officially Bewildered

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You could say the same thing to Geordies. The North of England is Northumberland, Co. Durham and Cumbria. You lot are all midlanders. End of.
Well yes, but none of that lot would be Geordies.
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

freebie is an unknown quantity at this point

Well yes, but none of that lot would be Geordies.
And so according to you, we Yorkshire folk are Midlanders ??? cira ula mo

Old Dec 3rd 2019, 3:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Excuse me, who you calling a Midlander? I'm a Southerner and proud of it. Huff.
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 4:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N0rbett
Your post brought a huge smile to my face - It's like being 8-9,000miles away from home has paid me a little visit

Where I'm from you are either a Manchester (United, City, Bolton) fan or a Liverpool (LFC, Everton, Tranmere) fan, there's no rivalry to me between Man U & Man C, in fact I've probably been to more games at Maine Road (Never been to the Ethiad Stadium, I left UK in 2006) than I have to Old Trafford - My old boss was a Man C nut (never forget the time they beat Man U 5:1 and he stuck the full page spread from the paper behind my desk... what could I say, he was my boss + 6ft 4 & built like a brick sh!t house) and used to drag me to the mid week games (we were working in Knutsford at the time so I'd go there from work & stay at his house).

Edit to add link The Maine Road Massacre: Man City 5 - Man Utd 1
So many northerners in here (Oh & I was born in Lancashire, until they change the boundaries and I was put into Cheshire )

Apologies P11 for going off thread, I haven't chatted with so many people from my old world in so long....
I used to go with the OH to Maine Road back in the 80's and stand on the Kippax. It's certainly easier being a City fan these days than it was back then! I used to love coming out from the Kippax and seeing the "Toast Rack". I was doing Catering and Hotel Mgmt there back in the day.
Our best man is a Man Utd supporter, so they can't be all bad . Not been to a game at the Etihad but have been for a tour.

I still write Lancashire on any correspondence to people in St Helens, I'm NOT from Merseyside.
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 5:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We Miss Northeners

Where did you work in St Helens Dreamy? I worked at The Fleece Hotel in the spring/summer of 1983. Used to do a 50-60 hour week for 25 quid!!!!

Originally Posted by GeniB
Aah Prescot .. a name from the past. where my father and grandfather came from. Grandpa was a watchmaker and clock maker My father used to regale me with storied of 'going in the carriage to Lord Derby's stately home to wind up all the clocks.!!!
Prescot is an old town and came about before St Helens did. Famous for it's time pieces back in the day. My eldest brother went to Prescot Grammar and had a great time there. He's still in touch with his school friends from those days. I had the grave misfortune to go to Rainford High, I wanted to go to Cowley Girls but the local authority said no .
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 11:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N0rbett
Ha Sip - Ha sip (50-50 as we say in Thailand)... All friendly banter have had many a good night out with my team winning/losing against LFC, though much better nights out on the toon when out with the Magpies (Newcastle) )

Warrington is a Rugby League town but is "Geo Split" between Manchester & Liverpool & when it comes to football, I'm Man U guy hence the banter (hope no offence, Tell hubby his team is playing exceptional this year )
Go Magpies ! Years ago I took my son to St James Park and somehow they got impression he had flown to Newcastle just for that- and Kegan himself showed him around.
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 11:33 pm
Officially Bewildered

Originally Posted by freebie
And so according to you, we Yorkshire folk are Midlanders ??? cira ula mo
Yes. Especially if you're from South Yorkshire

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.