Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

wayne 79's queries about moving to the Philippines

wayne 79's queries about moving to the Philippines

Old Mar 21st 2017, 9:52 am
Just Joined

wayne 79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default wayne 79's queries about moving to the Philippines

Hi, I'm new on here and just trying to find some info about moving to Philippines, I'm a bricklayer here in u.k. but really want to start over any info much appreciated, thanks
Old Mar 21st 2017, 10:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job In manila

Originally Posted by wayne 79
Hi, I'm new on here and just trying to find some info about moving to Philippines, I'm a bricklayer here in u.k. but really want to start over any info much appreciated, thanks
Hi, welcome to BE.

I've moved your post in to a thread of it's own, it's not great forum 'netiquette' to post your queries on somebody else's thread, and it's not as likely to be seen either.

Hopefully the good folks in the Philippines forum will be able to give you some words of advice, best of luck with the move.

Old Mar 21st 2017, 10:40 am
Just Joined

Default Re: wayne 79's queries about moving to the Philippines

Sorry , thanks for helping out
Old Mar 21st 2017, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Wayne 79.

You have asked a very broad question and I am not sure if you are asking about brick-laying jobs specifically or moving to the Philippines generally.

Regards

Pete M
Old Mar 21st 2017, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Sorry about that, I was just saying what I do now for a living here in the U.K. I'm hoping to get information about any type of work available to expats in the philippines and how to set about getting work and relocating , thanks
Old Mar 21st 2017, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wayne 79
Sorry about that, I was just saying what I do now for a living here in the U.K. I'm hoping to get information about any type of work available to expats in the philippines and how to set about getting work and relocating , thanks
Oh dear! First, it is almost impossible for a foreigner to find work here - the rules are very strict.
Secondly, if you did find work it would be very poorly paid - a local might get around £5/7 a DAY!
Thirdly, 90% of the properties here are of reinforced concrete although there are a few with brick cladding. Earthquakes are not very forgiving towards brick built structures.

most expats here are retired , some married to locals do run small companies, but again it's not easy - the companies have to be in the wifes name. Foreigners cannot own land here and if you set up a company it has to have 60% Filipino directors.

May I ask what makes you consider the Philippines as this may have some bearings on the answers you'll get? I'm retired here on the special retirees visa and for us life is not bad at all. If i had to work to support my family then it would be a big No No. Why not visit for a while and check things out for yourself? you can get a 30 day tourist visa at the airport on arrival and this can be extended up to 3 years before you have to leave for 24 hours. you then come back and start over again! Many expats take this route to living here. Feel free to ask away - at least you'll get honest answers!
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

I'm just asking at the minute trying to find what options are out there, not wanting to work in construction abroad, seen some people talking about working in call centres over there ? Thanks for the reply
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, some expats do work in call centres - mainly Manila , and mainly for australian/US companies. You still need the appropriate visa which is the responsibility of the employer but there have been cases of folks coming over on promise that the company will sort out the visa, starting work, then discovering no visa has been applied for and thus they are working illegally.
One of our regulars, mikemike , works in a call centre in Makati for an Australian company and he looks for expats from time to time. Pay is around 30,000pesos a month which is quite good for here. He may pop onto this thread later.
another option is teaching English online to Koreans/Japanese/Chinese but usually you need some type of teaching experience for this, tho' I know of one expat doing this who was a fireman in UK before he retired here!
The visa situation here can be quite complex to work out but all the different types of visa are listed on the Immigration website :https://www.internations.org/philipp...requirements-2 and Home ( click on visas tab)

have fun reading through these!
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Quiltman I just sent wayne a pm

cheers
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikemike
Quiltman I just sent wayne a pm

cheers
Thanks mike.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies and info people much appreciated