Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Visiting Philippines 3-6 months a year

Visiting Philippines 3-6 months a year

Old Oct 27th 2014, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

danielspaniel11234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visiting Philippines 3-6 months a year

Hi I am a British Citizen and have a Filipino G/F who still lives in the Philippines. I just wondered for the people on here who are not retired and their partners are in the Philippines still, how often do you visit them in the Philippines?
I am looking for work at the moment and the only way I can see how I can visit often is if I get seasonal work as 1 month a year isn't enough. My G/F has children so unless I ever earn 30K plus I can't try to get here to the UK with the new laws. I hope to hear from people in a similar position
daniel
Old Oct 27th 2014, 9:19 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting Philippines 3-6 months a year

The Surinder Singh route may be an option if you can find work elsewhere in Europe although it's not as straightforward as it used to be.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply. I had never heard of that and im just reading about it. My parents are actually moving to Spain and im helping them move. I was hoping to get seasonal work there but the pay is terrible and the jobs are few. I thought at least if my work was seasonal I could spend longer in the Philippines. If I get a 9-5 job and work all year round a month every year isnt a relationship.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 9:36 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danielspaniel11234
Thanks for the reply. I had never heard of that and im just reading about it. My parents are actually moving to Spain and im helping them move. I was hoping to get seasonal work there but the pay is terrible and the jobs are few. I thought at least if my work was seasonal I could spend longer in the Philippines. If I get a 9-5 job and work all year round a month every year isnt a relationship.
If you used the Surinder Singh route then your girlfriend and her children could join you in Spain until you qualify to return to the UK under EEA Freedom of Movement rules. This would avoid you having to meet the financial requirements of a partner visa.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

If I found work in Spain which I know is unlikely but if it did happen Im sure it will still be difficult for them to move there first re Visa's etc. With my parents having a house there and offering to sponsor them Im sure they could get a short term Visitor Visa but not long term.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 9:43 pm

If I found work in Spain which I know is unlikely but if it did happen Im sure it will still be difficult for them to move there first re Visa's etc. With my parents having a house there and offering to sponsor them Im sure they could get a short term Visitor Visa but not long term.
As your family members they would share your Freedom of Movement rights in Spain. In short, they wouldn't need visas.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

They would need a Schengen Visa to Visit Spain from the Philippines
Old Oct 27th 2014, 9:56 pm

They would need a Schengen Visa to Visit Spain from the Philippines
Not as family members of an EEA citizen (i.e. you)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_M...zens_Directive
Old Oct 27th 2014, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Because we are not married would I be classed as a family member?
The rest of her family including parents and brother have lived in the UK for 15 years although they have not become UK citizens I thought that would have helped her move to the UK as she has more people to support her financially than just me, re financial requirements.
Thanks for your replies btw I appreciate it
Old Oct 27th 2014, 10:21 pm

Because we are not married would I be classed as a family member?
The rest of her family including parents and brother have lived in the UK for 15 years although they have not become UK citizens I thought that would have helped her move to the UK as she has more people to support her financially than just me, re financial requirements.
Thanks for your replies btw I appreciate it
If you're not married then it would depend on the country involved to assess your relationship. If you were to marry then it's practically an automatic right.

If her family members in the UK were willing to gift you the money to sponsor her then that would be a possibility but they wouldn't be able to sponsor her directly unless she could demonstrate she was completely reliant on them.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

That's great thank you very much for all your help
Old Oct 27th 2014, 10:37 pm

You're welcome. Take a look in this section of the forum. Lots of practical advice and experience available to you.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If you're not married then it would depend on the country involved to assess your relationship. If you were to marry then it's practically an automatic right.

If her family members in the UK were willing to gift you the money to sponsor her then that would be a possibility but they wouldn't be able to sponsor her directly unless she could demonstrate she was completely reliant on them.
It's not been an automatic right in the UK since 1987.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

If for example I did find work in Spain and decided to stay there would it be hard for my G/F and children to come and live with me there? I know it won't be easy but I imagine it would be easier than the UK.
Thanks
Daniel
Old Oct 28th 2014, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
It's not been an automatic right in the UK since 1987.
We're talking about EEA Freedom of Movement rights for family members of British citizens in Spain. Not sure what you're referring to.

If for example I did find work in Spain and decided to stay there would it be hard for my G/F and children to come and live with me there? I know it won't be easy but I imagine it would be easier than the UK.
Thanks
Daniel
Depends if you were married or not. If you were married and you were working in Spain then it would be just a matter of applying for a residence card.

Secretaría General de Inmigración y Emigración. Portal de la Inmigración

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.