British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Philippines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/)
-   -   UK Tax Self Assessment (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/uk-tax-self-assessment-933252/)

Raffin Jun 17th 2020 4:48 am

UK Tax Self Assessment

Due to the current travel restrictions my SA forms for tax year 2019-20 are not at all easily available to me. I could get them downloaded, printed then mailed off as usual. Alternatively, although weirdly as a non UK resident abroad you cannot use HMRCs own service, it seems you can use a commercially available online service. HMRC provides a long list of those they accept. Has anyone here in the Philippines as a non UK resident used any of them and, if so, how did it go?

mikek1 Jun 17th 2020 11:49 pm

Re: UK Tax Self Assessment

I am a non resident UK tax Player. When we moved to the Philippines I did not attempt to submit the self assesmemt returns, thinking they were no longer of interest to HMRC. After a couple of years I had to correspond with the UK pensions authority over my very low tax code. This involved notifying them know my Philipppine address. To my suprise after a couple of weeks latter
I received a letter from HMRC informing me of a £1300 fine for not submitting my self assessement returns for 2 years.

I immeadiatly corresponded with our accountants in the UK who had previously handled all our tax affiars. I produced all the neccesary paperwork and emailed it to the accountants, who then worked out the tax and submitted my self assesmemt returns. The fines were squashed and I received a tax rebate ! My tax code was also changed allowing my tax free to enable no future tax will be payable until I receive my pension.

I had looked at filing the returns online, but this involved using a code to access my account via the HMRC gateway. The code would be sent to our address which would have meant a delay in resolving the fine, or possibly increasing the fine. my accountants have this information it was far easier to allow them to handle the whole process.

I now yearly pay our accountants £125 to handle and submit my self assesmemt returns. I think its a small price to pay considering the posible fines for not returning the self assesmemt forms. At the back of my mind I was thinking that as my state pension is due latter this year, there could be possibly more problems.

quiltman Jun 18th 2020 10:02 am

I use Taxcalc and have done for years. Approved by HMRC and includes the requisite forms for us expats and their hotline is great at answering queries. OK it costs £30 but my tax returns are straightforward. I file online and get instant confirmation. I do have to pay my tax using my UK debit card as credit cards are no longer accepted by HMRC

Raffin Jun 18th 2020 10:28 am

Originally Posted by quiltman (Post 12868636)
I use Taxcalc and have done for years. Approved by HMRC and includes the requisite forms for us expats and their hotline is great at answering queries. OK it costs £30 but my tax returns are straightforward. I file online and get instant confirmation. I do have to pay my tax using my UK debit card as credit cards are no longer accepted by HMRC

Taxcalc also got good mentions in two discussion forums. Though for some reason it's not in the HMRC list.
My returns are simple too and 30 pounds is a good price.. Another one called Gosimple is 45 pounds.

quiltman Jun 18th 2020 1:21 pm

I believe its listed under the parent company - Acora Software I think. They also do commercial and landlord tax return systems as well.

Raffin Jun 18th 2020 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by mikek1 (Post 12868508)
I am a non resident UK tax Player....

I had looked at filing the returns online, but this involved using a code to access my account via the HMRC gateway. The code would be sent to our address which would have meant a delay in resolving the fine, or possibly increasing the fine. my accountants have this information it was far easier to allow them to handle the whole process.

I now yearly pay our accountants £125 to handle and submit my self assesmemt returns. I think its a small price to pay considering the posible fines for not returning the self assesmemt forms. At the back of my mind I was thinking that as my state pension is due latter this year, there could be possibly more problems.

Re using HMRCs online some suggesting a few years ago that you just fill in the SA109 foreign residence form, create a pdf file and put it in the space for further information on the main online form! But can't find anyone reporting back on that.

Yes, definitely worth keeping up the SA returns as if it came down to it the HMRC can presumably do something with your State Pension. It can cost around 30 pounds to send the paper form with Philpost,recorded, with all the bother and uncertainty involved in that.....even more with commercial couriers, and you get another 4 months to submit online.

I've just been using CHAPS faster payment to pay HMRC from my UK bank account.

Thanks for the suggestion. Will use them this year

filmstar66 Jun 22nd 2020 2:59 pm

Good post and thanks guys for the information. It is a subject that is easily forgotten about and then the fines and confusion follows. I plan to move to the Philippines next year with my wife and hope covid is controlled by then.

I did read that you can apply to the BIR for a Certificate Of Residency. Once received you send send to HMRC and they will remove you from having the requirement of completing self assessments. I hope i have this right, no experience here just read about it.

britishbull Jun 23rd 2020 2:04 pm

If you have no uk income or just state pension (under personal allowance) then they may not ask for returns but it is that way round rather than you asking them, which will take a few years. They will also be after you for death duties on worldwide estate so they still want you in the system. If you are getting the state pension they also send a form to check you are still alive every few years, not sure what happens if it goes missing. At the moment, they are totally overwhelmed with covid mess and won't answer phone calls and probably not letters or emails.

David Mashael Jun 28th 2020 8:09 am

Originally Posted by britishbull (Post 12870929)
If you have no uk income or just state pension (under personal allowance) then they may not ask for returns but it is that way round rather than you asking them, which will take a few years. They will also be after you for death duties on worldwide estate so they still want you in the system. If you are getting the state pension they also send a form to check you are still alive every few years, not sure what happens if it goes missing. At the moment, they are totally overwhelmed with covid mess and won't answer phone calls and probably not letters or emails.

I called them re the Proof of Life form that they sent to me. Answered promptly and after a couple of security questions, they marked my POL as cleared and confirmed that there was no need to send the form back.

Bealinehx Jun 28th 2020 9:38 am

"I called them re the Proof of Life form that they sent to me. Answered promptly and after a couple of security questions, they marked my POL as cleared and confirmed that there was no need to send the form back."

I did the same in March. One poster cast doubt on
whether DWP will action Proof of Life by phone. I undertook to report in July when it will be the first month of my POL pension payment. Watch this space in a couple of weeks.

David Mashael Jun 29th 2020 5:32 am

Originally Posted by Bealinehx (Post 12873060)
"I called them re the Proof of Life form that they sent to me. Answered promptly and after a couple of security questions, they marked my POL as cleared and confirmed that there was no need to send the form back."

I did the same in March. One poster cast doubt on
whether DWP will action Proof of Life by phone. I undertook to report in July when it will be the first month of my POL pension payment. Watch this space in a couple of weeks.

Many retirees on different expat groups in Philippines have reported being successful in this. Certainly worked in my case, no change in my payments.