British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Philippines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/)
-   -   UK Pension Forms (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/uk-pension-forms-939075/)

Stokkevn Jun 15th 2021 1:40 am

UK Pension Forms

Does anyone know what form to fill in for UK state pension claim? The only ones I can find are if you live in the UK and the other looks like it is for a foreigner who has become British.

spouse of scouse Jun 15th 2021 1:59 am

Re: UK Pension Forms

Here you go https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-retire-abroad

freebie Jun 15th 2021 9:30 am

I get to claim my very small pension next year.. looks like I will be filling in the extra page for a lot of details given that I lived and worked outside the UK for 30 years... names and addresses of employers in UK requested from 1976 till 86 ??.. .hmmm not sure I can recall all of THOSE....going to be fun filling in this VERY voluminous form.

MidAtlantic Jun 15th 2021 11:29 am

A couple of years ago I called, because I had a question about the form, and they said not to bother and they took my application over the phone. They said all the detail the form asks for is not needed if they already have it in their records, which they did. Of course, the systems may have changed now but it would be worth checking.

Feidlimid Jun 15th 2021 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Stokkevn (Post 13017664)
Does anyone know what form to fill in for UK state pension claim? The only ones I can find are if you live in the UK and the other looks like it is for a foreigner who has become British.

When you call the pensions office, they will ask if you want to submit/ complete your application over the telephone or prefer to have the form sent out. Considering the postal service here and the time involved, this is a no-brainer really. In addition, they ask a whole range of questions about your travel movements including dates of when you flew to the Ph etc. All pretty straight forward. My advice would be to have this sort of info handy before making the call and keep a good record of what you told them. I suspect they may use some of that info in years to come for security purposes to verify you are who you say you are. Overall, the telephone application was easy; a painless process and well worth it.

Feidlimid Jun 15th 2021 2:07 pm

As an add on to my previous post and in case I misled you, they do ask a lot of questions as you would expect, more than they would in a normal phone call to the pension’s office. So you really do need to have a lot of info ready. It’s probably a good idea to peruse their online form to get an idea of the sort of info they're looking for. Like I say, it’s easy, but only if you have all the relevant info handy. Marriage date, employment history, date of leaving UK etc., etc.

Stokkevn Jun 15th 2021 2:28 pm

Thanks a lot everybody, the form that I thought was for foreign applicants is the one that I should fill in, but having traveled worldwide since 1976 to 25 plus countries and worked in the UK for multiple companies inside and out of the UK, I think I will go for the phone call to the pension office option. I assume the number to phone is the one on the form +44 (0)191 218 7777

Feidlimid Jun 15th 2021 2:31 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Just found the attached form online; should help to prepare you for the call.

IPC BR1 NSP form: If you reach State Pension age on or after 6 April 2016, you can claim now using this form
Ref: IPC BR1 NSP PDF, 653KB, 26 pages

Feidlimid Jun 15th 2021 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Stokkevn (Post 13017858)
Thanks a lot everybody, the form that I thought was for foreign applicants is the one that I should fill in, but having traveled worldwide since 1976 to 25 plus countries and worked in the UK for multiple companies inside and out of the UK, I think I will go for the phone call to the pension office option. I assume the number to phone is the one on the form +44 (0)191 218 7777

Correct.

calman014 Jun 15th 2021 6:16 pm

How long did you work in UK in total?
Did you work in any other EU countries?

Unless your pension contributions add up to 10 years you may get nothing at all.

BuckinghamshireBoy Jun 15th 2021 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Stokkevn (Post 13017858)
... I assume the number to phone is the one on the form +44 (0)191 218 7777

This is indeed the correct number. Depending on time of day, you can expect to be holding for 20-25 minutes before getting through to a human.

:fingerscrossed: that you get through to a human named Martin.

Bealinehx Jun 15th 2021 10:10 pm

I strongly recommend that you make your phone call as soon as the lines open. Whenever I have called at that time I get an immediate response.

Stokkevn Jun 15th 2021 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by calman014 (Post 13017929)
How long did you work in UK in total?
Did you work in any other EU countries?

Unless your pension contributions add up to 10 years you may get nothing at all.

I did a check on my NI contributions and expected pension not long ago and found out that I actually get something. A couple of overseas contracts were for UK based companies so that must have boosted my NI contributions.

mikek1 Jun 16th 2021 1:03 am

Did mine online. Had all the information ready. First checked my NI contributions on Government gateway portal, found I was a few years short of the 35 years contributions required for full pension. I payed about £740 for each missing year. Pension is being paid without any problems.

freebie Jun 16th 2021 1:19 am

Someone once said in a forum that they were able to call them using Viber which I assume means no costs for phone call.......anyone know if this is correct.. would skype also work ??

mikek1 Jun 16th 2021 1:28 am

Use Skype its very clear and cheap. I use messenger for social calls ( free) and Skype for non social calls.

freebie Jun 16th 2021 4:22 am

Originally Posted by mikek1 (Post 13018060)
Use Skype its very clear and cheap. I use messenger for social calls ( free) and Skype for non social calls.

Thanks Mike !

Stokkevn Jun 18th 2021 5:10 am

Thanks everyone for the info. Looks like I will be phoning when they open one morning.

Stokkevn Jul 22nd 2021 9:54 am

Well that is done. Spent hours writing down all the companies I have worked for and which dates entering and leaving the UK, all the addresses where I lived and from which dates. Phoned them up, he didn't ask any housing, work or overseas history, it only took 15 minutes because the line was bad and I had to repeat or spell a lot otherwise probably less than 10 mins. Next one is to do my Norwegian one but that is a lot easier as you only have to quote a number and confirm a few basic details and that's it.

Quick note - they do not open until 09:30hrs.

Bealinehx Jul 22nd 2021 11:57 am

Stokkevn well done methinks that your Norwegian pension will be more valuable.

Stokkevn Jul 29th 2021 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Bealinehx (Post 13031959)
Stokkevn well done methinks that your Norwegian pension will be more valuable.

Yes, by a factor of about three and a half. Wife can't wait until I am 67 or the following year when she gets her UK pension.

Bealinehx Feb 16th 2022 9:52 am

I have just finished a phone call with DWP in Geordie land. I was enquiring when I should expect my Proof of Life documentation. Much to my surprise they have not sent any Proof of Life enquiries for two years and have no immediate plans to restart. I'm amazed at the lack of diligence.

Stokkevn Feb 16th 2022 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Bealinehx (Post 13095020)
I have just finished a phone call with DWP in Geordie land. I was enquiring when I should expect my Proof of Life documentation. Much to my surprise they have not sent any Proof of Life enquiries for two years and have no immediate plans to restart. I'm amazed at the lack of diligence.

If they posted one to me it could take a while to arrive, last letter DWP sent me was posted 26th June, arrived Manila 28th June and arrived in our local post office 7th January, this is not unusual for post over the last two years. A German friend has just got his life certificate a couple of weeks ago posted in May last year.

Bealinehx Feb 16th 2022 11:48 am

Philpost is a joke. I am 12kms from NAIA. Any inbound mail from the UK takes 2-3 days to land at NAIA and typically 12 weeks to travel the final 12kms.

Stokkevn Feb 16th 2022 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Bealinehx (Post 13095042)
Philpost is a joke. I am 12kms from NAIA. Any inbound mail from the UK takes 2-3 days to land at NAIA and typically 12 weeks to travel the final 12kms.

At the beginning of the pandemic the government took all their delivery vans off them so they could deliver Covid samples and tests with them. But a year before that our Philpost on Panay cancelled their contract with the airline to deliver post and went back over 100 years to collecting the post from Manila by road. So even before the pandemic 12 weeks was normal.

Raffin Feb 16th 2022 11:58 pm

Philippines doing it online and Mafia style:

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/125445...-proof-of-life

Bealinehx Feb 17th 2022 4:21 am

HMRC conduct their business online, isn't it about time DWP got their act together and joined the 21st Century? A question for Mr Blobby to answer methinks. My other pension providers all conduct business online.

calman014 Feb 17th 2022 7:46 am

DWP is a complete mess at the moment. The responsible minister has no interest in sorting the problems of thousands who are still waiting for their pensions due to the chaos. Don't expect to receive your pension on time or any kind of coherent answer from them. See the website "thisismoney"published by Daily Mail...loads of stories on there, including from expats.

Stokkevn Feb 17th 2022 9:45 am

Originally Posted by calman014 (Post 13095239)
DWP is a complete mess at the moment. The responsible minister has no interest in sorting the problems of thousands who are still waiting for their pensions due to the chaos. Don't expect to receive your pension on time or any kind of coherent answer from them. See the website "thisismoney"published by Daily Mail...loads of stories on there, including from expats.

I've done OK, received my first payment about 6 weeks after my birthday, amount adjusted for the delay and every 4 weeks after that.

calman014 Feb 17th 2022 10:18 am

Then you are one of the lucky few...

Bealinehx Feb 17th 2022 10:56 am

I'm also one of the lucky few almost 10 years without a hitch. Stokkevn and I cannot be the only lucky few....

calman014 Feb 17th 2022 11:16 am

It's more about applying for your (overdue) pension right now and trying to get a reply from DWP. Just hope it gets sorted soon.

Andrew_AJP Apr 8th 2022 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Bealinehx (Post 13095020)

This shouldn't be a surprise given the abysmal UK state pension mind you it's never stopped them spending a fiver to claim 5p back.