UK native tutor in Cebu

Old May 1st 2022, 4:16 am
Just Joined

Mira 1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK native tutor in Cebu

Hi there

I’m looking for private tutoring English sessions in Cebu, preferably by someone British to get the accent! Please let me know if you/anyone you might know is interested!

Thanks
Old May 1st 2022, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK native tutor in Cebu

Originally Posted by Mira 1983 View Post
Hi there

I’m looking for private tutoring English sessions in Cebu, preferably by someone British to get the accent! Please let me know if you/anyone you might know is interested!

Thanks
As a general rule of thumb, one can pick up a 'native' accent in any language learned before age 7. After that, you're pretty much stuck with the accent you grew up with, in any language you know.

So alas, you won't likely get the Brit accent (nor an American one, if you went with an American tutor), unless you put in an extraordinary effort, with an extraordinary voice coach--i.e. not just someone teaching you the language, or improving on that teaching.

Highly-paid actors with extended access to dedicated voice coaches can sometimes do somewhat better at aping a non-native accent, in a language that they're otherwise already fluent in. But it doesn't always work out well.

Old May 1st 2022, 7:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by abner View Post
As a general rule of thumb, one can pick up a 'native' accent in any language learned before age 7. After that, you're pretty much stuck with the accent you grew up with, in any language you know.

So alas, you won't likely get the Brit accent (nor an American one, if you went with an American tutor), unless you put in an extraordinary effort, with an extraordinary voice coach--i.e. not just someone teaching you the language, or improving on that teaching.

Highly-paid actors with extended access to dedicated voice coaches can sometimes do somewhat better at aping a non-native accent, in a language that they're otherwise already fluent in. But it doesn't always work out well.
I really appreciate the detailed reply which is the reason behind my post( I’ve got two kids who are going to be the ones learning).

Thanks again,
Old May 1st 2022, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

Mira, to keep things tidy, if you have any more questions about your move to Cebu can you just add them to one of the three threads you've already started. Not create a new one.
Old May 1st 2022, 7:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Raffin View Post
Mira, to keep things tidy, if you have any more questions about your move to Cebu can you just add them to one of the three threads you've already started. Not create a new one.
Are you an admin? It seems people here enjoy being bossy more than giving advices and support! Really strange mentality🤢
Old May 1st 2022, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

No Mira, but a frequent user. We can comment on anything relevant in a thread. I thought your repetitive threads were relevant. I expected admin to comment but when they didn't I did. I don't think I am being bossy. I just noticed you don't seem to know the general practice here is to build on one thread. Not start a new one for each new question. Look back in the threads and you will see what I mean.

Sorry you don't feel you have got much support here and that "people" are being bossy. People? Not always do they find the subject of threads interesting or something they want to comment on. Sometimes there are no replies at all and you at least got some. I wonder why you are continuing asking questions here if you feel the way you do?
Old May 2nd 2022, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Raffin View Post
No Mira, but a frequent user. We can comment on anything relevant in a thread. I thought your repetitive threads were relevant. I expected admin to comment but when they didn't I did. I don't think I am being bossy. I just noticed you don't seem to know the general practice here is to build on one thread. Not start a new one for each new question. Look back in the threads and you will see what I mean.

Sorry you don't feel you have got much support here and that "people" are being bossy. People? Not always do they find the subject of threads interesting or something they want to comment on. Sometimes there are no replies at all and you at least got some. I wonder why you are continuing asking questions here if you feel the way you do?
Agree entirely. Any additional questions by the OP to the original post will cause it to be "bumped up" to the top of the page for all to see and comment accordingly.

Last edited by Philosophical 11; May 2nd 2022 at 1:02 am.
Old May 2nd 2022, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

Fully support Raffin's point. Mira 1983 there is no point in being oversensitive. If you are British you will know that you could become the recipient typical British humour.
Enjoy Cebu City and the province. The Camotes Islands are well worth a weekend visit.