Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

UK driving license expired

UK driving license expired

Old Sep 19th 2018, 1:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK driving license expired

Re using a UK address to renew a UK DL. I hope those that have...do not use their UK DL to rent or drive a friend’s/relative’s car. As well as defrauding a government document...you are driving on an illegal DL and if you are involved in a RTA the auto insurance is probably not valid.

If you move back to the UK it is a very simple process to apply for a current DL.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

i wish they had the paper one back that does not get renewed, should have kept it

My license competency expires at 70 not every 10 years.

You have a valid license why would the validity be questioned?
Old Sep 19th 2018, 1:51 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike
i wish they had the paper one back that does not get renewed, should have kept it

My license competency expires at 70 not every 10 years.

You have a valid license why would the validity be questioned?
Because 70 year old mikemike does not look like 17 year old mikemike.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I still have my Norwegian driving license that is valid until I am 100 years old with my photo as I was at 28 years old. But they use facial node recognition technology which regardless how old you are remain the same and they carry the reading units in their cars
Old Sep 19th 2018, 5:11 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
I still have my Norwegian driving license that is valid until I am 100 years old with my photo as I was at 28 years old. But they use facial node recognition technology which regardless how old you are remain the same and they carry the reading units in their cars
Good for them.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

FriendlyExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Note that strictly speaking the law says that if you stop living in the UK you should surrender your driving licence. Not enforced in practice, but should you be unlucky enough to have a major accident and have someone start digging around, I would not like to be the test case subject!
Old Sep 19th 2018, 8:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FriendlyExpat
Note that strictly speaking the law says that if you stop living in the UK you should surrender your driving licence. Not enforced in practice, but should you be unlucky enough to have a major accident and have someone start digging around, I would not like to be the test case subject!
I know it’s illegal to renew your UK DL if you are not a UK resident...because I emailed the DMV and asked. I am not aware that it is a legal requirement to surrender it.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 9:30 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by inggris
If the licence holder no longer lives in the UK, does he/she need to inform DVLA the status or his/her overseas address?
The DVLA will not accept any address that is not in the UK
Old Sep 19th 2018, 9:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The DVLA will not accept any address that is not in the UK
True...but you are not required to inform the DVLA that you are no longer a UK resident.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The license expiry is age 70 when 3 year renewal is required.

On the back of that offensive piece of plastic are the vehicles you are rated to drive and the date that rating expires. unless things have changed it used to be age 70. the plastic is all about a photo update each 10 years.

Next time I return to the Uk for a holiday I will renew, it takes little time and I will be resident at that time it is renewed.My competency to drive will not be tested again. As for your comment

''Because 70 year old mikemike does not look like 17 year old mikemike'' 100% not relevant
Old Sep 20th 2018, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by mikemike
The license expiry is age 70 when 3 year renewal is required.

On the back of that offensive piece of plastic are the vehicles you are rated to drive and the date that rating expires. unless things have changed it used to be age 70. the plastic is all about a photo update each 10 years.

Next time I return to the Uk for a holiday I will renew, it takes little time and I will be resident at that time it is renewed.My competency to drive will not be tested again. As for your comment

''Because 70 year old mikemike does not look like 17 year old mikemike'' 100% not relevant
It’s 100% relevant. Your appearance changes and so your photocard needs to be updated as you pointed out yourself. Your passport isn’t valid 50 plus years for the same reason. You may not like it but that’s a different argument.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Hence my desire to have a paper license, expiry date being competence tested to age 70

anyway back in Uk for 3 weeks next year get it done as will be resident when I arrive and I am not obliged to tell them when i leave
Old Sep 20th 2018, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm, is it compulsory to have a photocard license? Mine has expired but I still have the paper one.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Pica
Hmmm, is it compulsory to have a photocard license? Mine has expired but I still have the paper one.
If you mean the paper counterpart then that was scrapped a number of years ago. If your photocard has expired then you won’t be able to use your UK licence to drive until you have renewed it.
Old Sep 21st 2018, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yes as BIP pointed out in his reply.
That was a comment by a user, not a warning from a mod.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.