British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Philippines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/)
-   -   UK driving license expired (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/uk-driving-license-expired-915948/)

Jerseygirl Sep 19th 2018 1:14 pm

Re: UK driving license expired

Re using a UK address to renew a UK DL. I hope those that have...do not use their UK DL to rent or drive a friend’s/relative’s car. As well as defrauding a government document...you are driving on an illegal DL and if you are involved in a RTA the auto insurance is probably not valid.

If you move back to the UK it is a very simple process to apply for a current DL.

mikemike Sep 19th 2018 1:43 pm

i wish they had the paper one back that does not get renewed, should have kept it

My license competency expires at 70 not every 10 years.

You have a valid license why would the validity be questioned?

BritInParis Sep 19th 2018 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by mikemike (Post 12565155)
i wish they had the paper one back that does not get renewed, should have kept it

My license competency expires at 70 not every 10 years.

You have a valid license why would the validity be questioned?

Because 70 year old mikemike does not look like 17 year old mikemike.

Stokkevn Sep 19th 2018 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12565157)

I still have my Norwegian driving license that is valid until I am 100 years old with my photo as I was at 28 years old. But they use facial node recognition technology which regardless how old you are remain the same and they carry the reading units in their cars

BritInParis Sep 19th 2018 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Stokkevn (Post 12565235)
I still have my Norwegian driving license that is valid until I am 100 years old with my photo as I was at 28 years old. But they use facial node recognition technology which regardless how old you are remain the same and they carry the reading units in their cars

Good for them.

FriendlyExpat Sep 19th 2018 8:37 pm

Note that strictly speaking the law says that if you stop living in the UK you should surrender your driving licence. Not enforced in practice, but should you be unlucky enough to have a major accident and have someone start digging around, I would not like to be the test case subject!

Jerseygirl Sep 19th 2018 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlyExpat (Post 12565316)
Note that strictly speaking the law says that if you stop living in the UK you should surrender your driving licence. Not enforced in practice, but should you be unlucky enough to have a major accident and have someone start digging around, I would not like to be the test case subject!

I know it’s illegal to renew your UK DL if you are not a UK resident...because I emailed the DMV and asked. I am not aware that it is a legal requirement to surrender it. :unsure:

mikelincs Sep 19th 2018 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by inggris (Post 12564903)
If the licence holder no longer lives in the UK, does he/she need to inform DVLA the status or his/her overseas address?

The DVLA will not accept any address that is not in the UK

Jerseygirl Sep 19th 2018 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12565332)
The DVLA will not accept any address that is not in the UK

True...but you are not required to inform the DVLA that you are no longer a UK resident.

mikemike Sep 20th 2018 12:05 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12565157)

The license expiry is age 70 when 3 year renewal is required.

On the back of that offensive piece of plastic are the vehicles you are rated to drive and the date that rating expires. unless things have changed it used to be age 70. the plastic is all about a photo update each 10 years.

Next time I return to the Uk for a holiday I will renew, it takes little time and I will be resident at that time it is renewed.My competency to drive will not be tested again. As for your comment

''Because 70 year old mikemike does not look like 17 year old mikemike'' 100% not relevant

BritInParis Sep 20th 2018 12:13 am

Originally Posted by mikemike (Post 12565380)
The license expiry is age 70 when 3 year renewal is required.

On the back of that offensive piece of plastic are the vehicles you are rated to drive and the date that rating expires. unless things have changed it used to be age 70. the plastic is all about a photo update each 10 years.

Next time I return to the Uk for a holiday I will renew, it takes little time and I will be resident at that time it is renewed.My competency to drive will not be tested again. As for your comment

''Because 70 year old mikemike does not look like 17 year old mikemike'' 100% not relevant

It’s 100% relevant. Your appearance changes and so your photocard needs to be updated as you pointed out yourself. Your passport isn’t valid 50 plus years for the same reason. You may not like it but that’s a different argument.

mikemike Sep 20th 2018 6:28 am

Hence my desire to have a paper license, expiry date being competence tested to age 70

anyway back in Uk for 3 weeks next year get it done as will be resident when I arrive and I am not obliged to tell them when i leave

Pica Sep 20th 2018 7:05 am

Hmmm, is it compulsory to have a photocard license? Mine has expired but I still have the paper one.

BritInParis Sep 20th 2018 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Pica (Post 12565451)
Hmmm, is it compulsory to have a photocard license? Mine has expired but I still have the paper one.

If you mean the paper counterpart then that was scrapped a number of years ago. If your photocard has expired then you won’t be able to use your UK licence to drive until you have renewed it.

David Mashael Sep 21st 2018 5:30 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12565086)
Yes as BIP pointed out in his reply.

That was a comment by a user, not a warning from a mod.