Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

UK driving license expired

UK driving license expired

Old Aug 11th 2018, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK driving license expired

I was always under the impression that the UK driving license expired at age 70 for all categories of vehicles that your license had been approved for. Competency test would then be again at age 70 for obvious reasons.

I was looking to hire a class 2 vehicle in New Zealand and was some what puzzled to find that I am rated to drive this classification but that my license has expired!! As I am not in the UK or going there or at this time reside in Europe I am not allowed to ''re new'' an expired license.

SO I am cleared to drive on an expired license, how does this work??
Old Aug 11th 2018, 10:15 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK driving license expired

Your licence remains valid until your 70th birthday however a photocard will expire after ten years. You can’t renew it if you don’t live in the UK so you’ll need to apply for a local licence.
Old Aug 11th 2018, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike
I was always under the impression that the UK driving license expired at age 70 for all categories of vehicles that your license had been approved for. Competency test would then be again at age 70 for obvious reasons.

I was looking to hire a class 2 vehicle in New Zealand and was some what puzzled to find that I am rated to drive this classification but that my license has expired!! As I am not in the UK or going there or at this time reside in Europe I am not allowed to ''re new'' an expired license.

SO I am cleared to drive on an expired license, how does this work??
I did my renewal online, used my brothers address and ticked the box to say they can take the photo from my passport. A few days later my brother posted it to me here.
Old Aug 11th 2018, 10:39 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
I did my renewal online, used my brothers address and ticked the box to say they can take the photo from my passport. A few days later my brother posted it to me here.
Which is illegal.
Old Aug 11th 2018, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
I can never understand the UL logic of deciding that your license is not valid yet stating you are ok to drive. UYes I can suffer taking local test for C classification vehicles. Yet not all countries, indeed only a few are accepted in New zealand where I am, is not on that list...no surprises there then. I do not blame the NZ guys at all!!

So UK

Stokkevn did the DL guys get access to your passport data direct from the gov dept? or did you send your passport?
Old Aug 11th 2018, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike
I can never understand the UL logic of deciding that your license is not valid yet stating you are ok to drive. UYes I can suffer taking local test for C classification vehicles. Yet not all countries, indeed only a few are accepted in New zealand where I am, is not on that list...no surprises there then. I do not blame the NZ guys at all!!

So UK

Stokkevn did the DL guys get access to your passport data direct from the gov dept? or did you send your passport?
Direct from gov dept.
Old Aug 11th 2018, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

The UK license expires at 70 but you just self certify to get you next one and so on every 3 years. The DVLA send you a form 90 days before your 70th birthday.
Old Aug 11th 2018, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
The UK license expires at 70 but you just self certify to get you next one and so on every 3 years. The DVLA send you a form 90 days before your 70th birthday.
But only if you are in the UK
Old Aug 11th 2018, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously It will go to the address on the licence.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

inggris is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
Obviously It will go to the address on the licence.
If the licence holder no longer lives in the UK, does he/she need to inform DVLA the status or his/her overseas address?
Old Sep 19th 2018, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by inggris
If the licence holder no longer lives in the UK, does he/she need to inform DVLA the status or his/her overseas address?
No, you keep your last UK address on your licence.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by inggris
5 months before my 70th I advised DVLA of a change of my address. I used my daughters address in UK. They sent me a plastic licence to that address within 3-4 days. 3 months before my 70th DVLA sent me a notice to the effect that my license was going to expire. I renewed on line agreeing to use my Government ID for the photo. This they did and sent me a new license again to my daughters address. It is valid for 5 years.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 11:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by David Mashael
5 months before my 70th I advised DVLA of a change of my address. I used my daughters address in UK. They sent me a plastic licence to that address within 3-4 days. 3 months before my 70th DVLA sent me a notice to the effect that my license was going to expire. I renewed on line agreeing to use my Government ID for the photo. This they did and sent me a new license again to my daughters address. It is valid for 5 years.
It is illegal to renew a UK DL if you no longer live in the UK.

Please don’t encourage our members to break the law...it is against Site Rules.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It is illegal to renew a UK DL if you no longer live in the UK.

Please don’t encourage our members to break the law...it is against Site Rules.
I assume that also applies to an earlier post on 11th August as I was saying same thing.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 12:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by David Mashael
I assume that also applies to an earlier post on 11th August as I was saying same thing.
Yes as BIP pointed out in his reply.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.