Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

UK driving license expired

UK driving license expired

Old Aug 11th 2018, 9:46 am
  #1  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,439
mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK driving license expired

I was always under the impression that the UK driving license expired at age 70 for all categories of vehicles that your license had been approved for. Competency test would then be again at age 70 for obvious reasons.

I was looking to hire a class 2 vehicle in New Zealand and was some what puzzled to find that I am rated to drive this classification but that my license has expired!! As I am not in the UK or going there or at this time reside in Europe I am not allowed to ''re new'' an expired license.

SO I am cleared to drive on an expired license, how does this work??
mikemike is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2018, 10:15 am
  #2  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 17,509
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK driving license expired

Your licence remains valid until your 70th birthday however a photocard will expire after ten years. You can’t renew it if you don’t live in the UK so you’ll need to apply for a local licence.
BritInParis is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2018, 10:24 am
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: Capiz
Posts: 1,580
Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK driving license expired

Originally Posted by mikemike View Post
I was always under the impression that the UK driving license expired at age 70 for all categories of vehicles that your license had been approved for. Competency test would then be again at age 70 for obvious reasons.

I was looking to hire a class 2 vehicle in New Zealand and was some what puzzled to find that I am rated to drive this classification but that my license has expired!! As I am not in the UK or going there or at this time reside in Europe I am not allowed to ''re new'' an expired license.

SO I am cleared to drive on an expired license, how does this work??
I did my renewal online, used my brothers address and ticked the box to say they can take the photo from my passport. A few days later my brother posted it to me here.
Stokkevn is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2018, 10:39 am
  #4  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 17,509
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK driving license expired

Originally Posted by Stokkevn View Post
I did my renewal online, used my brothers address and ticked the box to say they can take the photo from my passport. A few days later my brother posted it to me here.
Which is illegal.
BritInParis is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2018, 12:35 pm
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,439
mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK driving license expired

Originally Posted by Stokkevn View Post
I did my renewal online, used my brothers address and ticked the box to say they can take the photo from my passport. A few days later my brother posted it to me here.
I can never understand the UL logic of deciding that your license is not valid yet stating you are ok to drive. UYes I can suffer taking local test for C classification vehicles. Yet not all countries, indeed only a few are accepted in New zealand where I am, is not on that list...no surprises there then. I do not blame the NZ guys at all!!

So UK

Stokkevn did the DL guys get access to your passport data direct from the gov dept? or did you send your passport?
mikemike is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2018, 12:46 pm
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: Capiz
Posts: 1,580
Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK driving license expired

Originally Posted by mikemike View Post
I can never understand the UL logic of deciding that your license is not valid yet stating you are ok to drive. UYes I can suffer taking local test for C classification vehicles. Yet not all countries, indeed only a few are accepted in New zealand where I am, is not on that list...no surprises there then. I do not blame the NZ guys at all!!

So UK

Stokkevn did the DL guys get access to your passport data direct from the gov dept? or did you send your passport?
Direct from gov dept.
Stokkevn is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2018, 3:46 pm
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
 
Gazza-d's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Suffolk UK
Posts: 1,082
Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK driving license expired

The UK license expires at 70 but you just self certify to get you next one and so on every 3 years. The DVLA send you a form 90 days before your 70th birthday.
Gazza-d is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2018, 5:13 pm
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,439
mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK driving license expired

Originally Posted by Gazza-d View Post
The UK license expires at 70 but you just self certify to get you next one and so on every 3 years. The DVLA send you a form 90 days before your 70th birthday.
But only if you are in the UK
mikemike is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2018, 9:16 pm
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
Gazza-d's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Suffolk UK
Posts: 1,082
Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK driving license expired

Obviously It will go to the address on the licence.
Gazza-d is offline  
Old Sep 19th 2018, 1:36 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 86
inggris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK driving license expired

Originally Posted by Gazza-d View Post
Obviously It will go to the address on the licence.
If the licence holder no longer lives in the UK, does he/she need to inform DVLA the status or his/her overseas address?
inggris is offline  
Old Sep 19th 2018, 1:49 am
  #11  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 17,509
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK driving license expired

Originally Posted by inggris View Post
If the licence holder no longer lives in the UK, does he/she need to inform DVLA the status or his/her overseas address?
No, you keep your last UK address on your licence.
BritInParis is offline  
Old Sep 19th 2018, 11:53 am
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
David Mashael's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2016
Location: Davao
Posts: 260
David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK driving license expired

Originally Posted by inggris View Post
If the licence holder no longer lives in the UK, does he/she need to inform DVLA the status or his/her overseas address?
5 months before my 70th I advised DVLA of a change of my address. I used my daughters address in UK. They sent me a plastic licence to that address within 3-4 days. 3 months before my 70th DVLA sent me a notice to the effect that my license was going to expire. I renewed on line agreeing to use my Government ID for the photo. This they did and sent me a new license again to my daughters address. It is valid for 5 years.
David Mashael is offline  
Old Sep 19th 2018, 11:55 am
  #13  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 86,861
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK driving license expired

Originally Posted by David Mashael View Post
5 months before my 70th I advised DVLA of a change of my address. I used my daughters address in UK. They sent me a plastic licence to that address within 3-4 days. 3 months before my 70th DVLA sent me a notice to the effect that my license was going to expire. I renewed on line agreeing to use my Government ID for the photo. This they did and sent me a new license again to my daughters address. It is valid for 5 years.
It is illegal to renew a UK DL if you no longer live in the UK.

Please don’t encourage our members to break the law...it is against Site Rules.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Sep 19th 2018, 12:01 pm
  #14  
Forum Regular
 
David Mashael's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2016
Location: Davao
Posts: 260
David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK driving license expired

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
It is illegal to renew a UK DL if you no longer live in the UK.

Please don’t encourage our members to break the law...it is against Site Rules.
I assume that also applies to an earlier post on 11th August as I was saying same thing.
David Mashael is offline  
Old Sep 19th 2018, 12:08 pm
  #15  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 86,861
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK driving license expired

Originally Posted by David Mashael View Post
I assume that also applies to an earlier post on 11th August as I was saying same thing.
Yes as BIP pointed out in his reply.
Jerseygirl is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.