British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Philippines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/)
-   -   UK driving license expired (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/uk-driving-license-expired-915948/)

mikemike Aug 11th 2018 9:46 am

UK driving license expired

I was always under the impression that the UK driving license expired at age 70 for all categories of vehicles that your license had been approved for. Competency test would then be again at age 70 for obvious reasons.

I was looking to hire a class 2 vehicle in New Zealand and was some what puzzled to find that I am rated to drive this classification but that my license has expired!! As I am not in the UK or going there or at this time reside in Europe I am not allowed to ''re new'' an expired license.

SO I am cleared to drive on an expired license, how does this work??

BritInParis Aug 11th 2018 10:15 am

Re: UK driving license expired

Your licence remains valid until your 70th birthday however a photocard will expire after ten years. You can’t renew it if you don’t live in the UK so you’ll need to apply for a local licence.

Stokkevn Aug 11th 2018 10:24 am

Originally Posted by mikemike (Post 12546703)
I was always under the impression that the UK driving license expired at age 70 for all categories of vehicles that your license had been approved for. Competency test would then be again at age 70 for obvious reasons.

I was looking to hire a class 2 vehicle in New Zealand and was some what puzzled to find that I am rated to drive this classification but that my license has expired!! As I am not in the UK or going there or at this time reside in Europe I am not allowed to ''re new'' an expired license.

SO I am cleared to drive on an expired license, how does this work??

I did my renewal online, used my brothers address and ticked the box to say they can take the photo from my passport. A few days later my brother posted it to me here.

BritInParis Aug 11th 2018 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Stokkevn (Post 12546721)
I did my renewal online, used my brothers address and ticked the box to say they can take the photo from my passport. A few days later my brother posted it to me here.

Which is illegal.

mikemike Aug 11th 2018 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Stokkevn (Post 12546721)

I can never understand the UL logic of deciding that your license is not valid yet stating you are ok to drive. UYes I can suffer taking local test for C classification vehicles. Yet not all countries, indeed only a few are accepted in New zealand where I am, is not on that list...no surprises there then. I do not blame the NZ guys at all!!

So UK

Stokkevn did the DL guys get access to your passport data direct from the gov dept? or did you send your passport?

Stokkevn Aug 11th 2018 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by mikemike (Post 12546763)
I can never understand the UL logic of deciding that your license is not valid yet stating you are ok to drive. UYes I can suffer taking local test for C classification vehicles. Yet not all countries, indeed only a few are accepted in New zealand where I am, is not on that list...no surprises there then. I do not blame the NZ guys at all!!

So UK

Stokkevn did the DL guys get access to your passport data direct from the gov dept? or did you send your passport?

Direct from gov dept.

Gazza-d Aug 11th 2018 3:46 pm

The UK license expires at 70 but you just self certify to get you next one and so on every 3 years. The DVLA send you a form 90 days before your 70th birthday.

mikemike Aug 11th 2018 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Gazza-d (Post 12546845)
The UK license expires at 70 but you just self certify to get you next one and so on every 3 years. The DVLA send you a form 90 days before your 70th birthday.

But only if you are in the UK

Gazza-d Aug 11th 2018 9:16 pm

Obviously It will go to the address on the licence.

inggris Sep 19th 2018 1:36 am

Originally Posted by Gazza-d (Post 12546974)
Obviously It will go to the address on the licence.

If the licence holder no longer lives in the UK, does he/she need to inform DVLA the status or his/her overseas address?

BritInParis Sep 19th 2018 1:49 am

Originally Posted by inggris (Post 12564903)
If the licence holder no longer lives in the UK, does he/she need to inform DVLA the status or his/her overseas address?

No, you keep your last UK address on your licence.

David Mashael Sep 19th 2018 11:53 am

Originally Posted by inggris (Post 12564903)

5 months before my 70th I advised DVLA of a change of my address. I used my daughters address in UK. They sent me a plastic licence to that address within 3-4 days. 3 months before my 70th DVLA sent me a notice to the effect that my license was going to expire. I renewed on line agreeing to use my Government ID for the photo. This they did and sent me a new license again to my daughters address. It is valid for 5 years.

Jerseygirl Sep 19th 2018 11:55 am

Originally Posted by David Mashael (Post 12565069)
5 months before my 70th I advised DVLA of a change of my address. I used my daughters address in UK. They sent me a plastic licence to that address within 3-4 days. 3 months before my 70th DVLA sent me a notice to the effect that my license was going to expire. I renewed on line agreeing to use my Government ID for the photo. This they did and sent me a new license again to my daughters address. It is valid for 5 years.

It is illegal to renew a UK DL if you no longer live in the UK.

Please don’t encourage our members to break the law...it is against Site Rules.

David Mashael Sep 19th 2018 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12565072)
It is illegal to renew a UK DL if you no longer live in the UK.

Please don’t encourage our members to break the law...it is against Site Rules.

I assume that also applies to an earlier post on 11th August as I was saying same thing.

Jerseygirl Sep 19th 2018 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by David Mashael (Post 12565078)
I assume that also applies to an earlier post on 11th August as I was saying same thing.

Yes as BIP pointed out in his reply.