Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Toledo Retirement - Seeking Info

Toledo Retirement - Seeking Info

Old Jul 7th 2023, 8:06 am
Just Joined

esto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Toledo Retirement - Seeking Info

Aey M8s. Esto here. FINALLY found the one in 8 billion and we plan on having a summer home in/near Toledo. It would be nice to be on a hill and maybe near the ocean/beach. We are looking to snag some land there and then build
within a few years. Appreciate any/all assistance on this. Thanks!
Old Jul 7th 2023, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toledo Retirement - Seeking Info

Re the near the beach part there's an article on the Rappler news site on sea level rise. Cebu on the whole in a map there is classed as medium risk. Not too bad as some other Visayan Islands have high areas. But something to check on.

https://www.rappler.com/environment/...town-survival/

Another thing: if your summer house is near the beach. In some places locals put up basic constructions which can spoil your view. Foreshore land is owned by the DENR and you can rent it to stop that, in theory anyway.

Last edited by Raffin; Jul 8th 2023 at 12:24 am.
Old Jul 8th 2023, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esto
Aey M8s. Esto here. FINALLY found the one in 8 billion and we plan on having a summer home in/near Toledo. It would be nice to be on a hill and maybe near the ocean/beach. We are looking to snag some land there and then build
within a few years. Appreciate any/all assistance on this. Thanks!
I have lived in Toledo now for about two and half years.

If you require any help or information then just let me know and I will do my best to help.

What brings you to Toledo...?

I assume you are aware of the strict rules regarding the owning of land by a foreigner?

Old Jul 10th 2023, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

esto is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the responces. The 'Love of my life' brings me to Toledo. We are looking at purchasing land very soon and then building in a couple years.
Old Jul 11th 2023, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry not a lot of use on Toledo. I visited there on my first trip to the Philippines in 1982. My interest was the copper mine. Like most of Cebu it was peaceful, with friendly people. I have lived here in Cebu for twenty-two years, but on the East coast. In the last few years there has been a flurry of building by Gaisano and SM. So no problems with groceries, and most other things. There are now three Gaisanos in Danao City. After typhoon Odette December 2021, Globe Telecom resorted to replacing their network with Fibre Optic. Instead of Broadband being attached to the phoneline, the phoneline is attached to the Broadband. At times especially under adverse weather conditions, Broadband can be slow or non existent. We average about one power cut every ten days of one to three hours duration. However, at about three monthly intervals the line goes down for ten hours on a Sunday for servicing. P7000 will buy you a 1kw generator, and 3kw with electric start, begin at circa P22,000. If you are building a house, either a "Throw Switch," or a few dedicated generator sockets, are worth looking into. Belmont Tools in Mandaue is a brilliant place for tooling, Citi Hardware in Mandaue has a lot of things such as baths, that foreigners have difficulty in finding.

Last edited by tropicofcancer; Jul 11th 2023 at 1:57 am. Reason: left a zero out of aprice.