Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Starting a Small Business in the Philippines?

Starting a Small Business in the Philippines?

Old Jan 4th 2016, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting a Small Business in the Philippines?

There are more than a few foreigners who have a business in the Philippines and they are not crooks. To suggest otherwise is a disgrace and probably reflects a failure to succeed on behalf of those who suggest this or that they mix in the wrong company to start with. I know some of theses intrepid business guys very well.

Suggest you approach the overseas chamber of commerce and have a chat with them. Start up, running and closing down procedures and costs represent challenges that may not be experienced in most western countries, so expect a very wild ride.

Last edited by mikemike; Jan 4th 2016 at 8:21 am.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike View Post
There are more than a few foreigners who have a business in the Philippines and they are not crooks. To suggest otherwise is a disgrace and probably reflects a failure to succeed on behalf of those who suggest this or that they mix in the wrong company to start with. I know some of theses intrepid business guys very well.

Suggest you approach the overseas chamber of commerce and have a chat with them. Start up, running and closing down procedures and costs represent challenges that may not be experienced in most western countries, so expect a very wild ride.
I said previously "Well I don't know anyone who that has gone well for them, at best they just lost their money, a couple of guys I knew lost their lives." That is actually not quite true I know a German living near Iloilo who has a bouncy castle which he takes to fiestas all round Panay island as somewhere has a fiesta each week. He said it was quite a good earner for little effort, but he did say that a lot of people asked if he made a profit, he always told them he made a loss but it got him away from his wife for a day.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Gazza-d View Post
We're in Haverhill, close on the Cambridgeshire/Essex/Suffolk border.
Nice to read of a known UK spot. I lived and worked in Norwich for some years then moved to Ipswich and how the people were so different! My job entailed interviewing young people and the difference was very apparent.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by springsteen11 View Post
I have a French guy here with a restaurant and he is not making much if any money mainly due to his location. His food and prices are excellent. He found out recently that his next door neighbour who happens to be his landlady had tapped into his electricity when he first took over the place. He demanded a refund on electricity she stole from him. She has friends in high places and has reported him for being an "undesirable" and deportation.
Unfortunately here you have to learn to be smart ( and not direct as is the norm in the UK ). A Dutch friend living north of Manila also found out that his landlord ( or maybe neighbour ) was tapped into his power system. He rigged up a inline multi-transformer where he had connected to his power system and waited until he knew the guy was home and then turned it on. Apparently the 1000Volt charge caused every appliance to blow, unit was quickly removed. Power was never taken from him again
Old Jan 8th 2016, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. Re Franchises first. Doubt if I would ever go down that route. You have to trust the franchiser ie...people you may never meet or have never met. Here in Sipalay there is a well known bread/confectionery franchise. She paid 100,000 peso for the privilege of selling their products. She has been in business a few months and appears to be doing well. The result of this from what I understand is that the franchiser is wanting to put another outlet near to her. Although I have not seen her franchise agreement this smacks of greed. She is not happy. Guess its a case of do badly and the franchise is taken off you....do well and they screw you again by being greedy. Ok, that's just an example. Perhaps a one off. But a warning.

Stokkevn. I have a friend who also had his electricity tapped into by his landlady. He owns a struggling restaurant (wrong location) and confronted her about this theft. She has friends in high places and has threatened him with being reported as an undesirable with a view to deportation. It appears he has sadly backed down and now looking for other premises.

My gf appears to have started a successful on-line business selling gold jewellery. Her market is her fb friends which number over 1100 all over the world. She has one or two at the moment acting as agents for her thereby expanding the market. Most buy on a "layaway" scheme and since she started about 5 weeks ago has made a fair few sales. I am proud of her on how she is also driving the business. No capital outlay required by me.

I have kept my powder dry in this respect so far. I am still looking for ideas but need to wait until my finances become known after a divorce settlement.

Regards

Pete M
Old Jan 8th 2016, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Pete, since most Filipinas appear to have a massive list of FB friends, this seems a good way to go. I've seen various entrepreneurial FB "shops" selling items like flip flops, bikinis, jewellery, even cakes etc and they seem to survive. Good on your GF for having a go.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

My impression of most mom/pop businesses in the Philippines is that they are very transitory. It takes real capital to stay the course.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 4:03 am
Just Joined

brisman33 is an unknown quantity at this point

The wife's daughter spent a few months touring around the Philippines by motorbike, when she went back to Australia she left the bike in Puerto Galera with a local who rented scooters. A profit share agreement was made for hiring out the bike.

The wife and I visited PG recently and went to check how things were going. Turns out that the operator had gone broke and was hiding from his creditors. Using the local gossip network she found out where he was staying and was able to recover the bike, which required a lot of repairs to make it serviceable but at least she got it back.

There is a series of books available on amazon called "Streetwise Philippines" by Perry Gamsby. Number 2 in the series features starting a business in the Philippines and his advice is to forget it.

There are a small number of super rich, mainly ethnic Chinese who deal in millions of dollars. Below them are about 120 families who control business and don't want competition, hence the long list of activities restricted to locals (check your potential business isn't on it). Below them are the people you would be dealing with who will lie, cheat and rip you off.

Property rental could be worth a look as foreigners can own condos (not land therefore houses are out). Fifty thousand pounds could get you a shoebox flat in Manila which would rent for P25000 a month on a long lease or P2500 a night on AirBNB.