Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Starting a Small Business in the Philippines?

Starting a Small Business in the Philippines?

Old Dec 28th 2015, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of
Default Re: Starting a Small Business in the Philippines?

A friend of ours in the UK was into semi precious stones and took me to a wet muddy place in Cheddar gorge where we dug out some gray stone that was amongst some earthworks just under the surface (2 feet) and brought it back in Tesco carrier bags. The line of stone was only about an inch thick but it was "psudo static Barite" and he polished it up and put pieces into brooches and necklaces to sell as a hobby. He also found bits of Agate, amethyst and Amber from studying the places they are found. There are modern "tumbler" machines that polish up the stone faster than the old days and I found his collection quite fascinating.
Need to explore the Philippines for a supply and then keep stumb about it haha.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

Stokkevn I think speaks for most on this forum. Most of us are retired.
Depending on your immigration status it is unlikely that any business enterprise people embark on will be legal.
However I never cease to be amazed on how niaive men of a certain age are. A foreigner will never succeed in business in the Philippines. Those who claim success are probably crooks
Old Dec 29th 2015, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bealinehx
Stokkevn I think speaks for most on this forum. Most of us are retired.
Depending on your immigration status it is unlikely that any business enterprise people embark on will be legal.
However I never cease to be amazed on how niaive men of a certain age are. A foreigner will never succeed in business in the Philippines. Those who claim success are probably crooks
I hear there is plenty of money to be made in politics.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

So it seems! Touche
Old Dec 29th 2015, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

I have had a fantastic offer from one of my neighbours ( normally when he has had a few and his English improves ). Apparently when the Japanese were here in WWII they hid a load of gold and he is sure that he knows which range of mountains it is in. So on the back of this myth he keeps on about me buying a ground penetrating radar machine for $25k and we can scan the mountain range 1m2 at a time and I pay him a day rate for using the machine and when he finds the gold we split it 50/50. The frightening thing is that he is serious about this business (?????) partnership.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

My "rock" friend showed me his collection and they ranged from chalcedony to agate and "fools gold" he gave me a piece of the latter and the lead crystals glittered in the light. Many occasions he spoke of where he collected the rocks were on ordinary location and he always carried his small hammer to break open stone. One time he returned to a railway station where pebbles where built into the side walls of the entrance and collected some specimens. Along foreshores for Amber. some of the rocks you wouldn't see as attractive until they were cut into pieces and then seen. "Tigers eye" comes to mind and "Rose Quartz" that easily cuts with a diamond saw. A fascinating hobby. You would need an emery tumbler to polish the stones and a "hardness kit" to determine the quality.

"Sterling Building" company is run by an English guy who realised that houses could be built using hardiflex boarding over steel re bars frames and then filled with concrete. He is a British guy and built three places for us in the Philippines. He builds places abroad using his technique and his houses are very strong. He is a success, and from Yorkshire even!!!
Old Dec 30th 2015, 2:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

My suggestion
1. Ensure that you have a well-functioning flush toilet
2. Withdraw all your money in cash
3. Flush all money down toilet
Simpler, cleaner and less heart-breaking.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Scot 47. I think you are most probably right!

I have a French guy here with a restaurant and he is not making much if any money mainly due to his location. His food and prices are excellent. He found out recently that his next door neighbour who happens to be his landlady had tapped into his electricity when he first took over the place. He demanded a refund on electricity she stole from him. She has friends in high places and has reported him for being an "undesirable" and deportation.

I am only the second Englishman here in Sipalay. The first was shot dead 5 years ago. He had thriving businesses including a resort here. Rumour has it he was fighting off a land grab by his neighbours when tourism picked up here. His neighbours owning the adjoining land are relatives of the Mayor here.

Think I will keep my money in my pocket for now,

Regards

Pete M
Old Dec 30th 2015, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Agreed, retirees on pension and savings should keep their heads down, be happy and make the most of the warm weather....with a nice partner of course..
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

Will just add my four penny worth to this dismal but realistic thread. We tried for over a year to start my daughter off in a franchise, the smaller type selling siomai, drinks etc None of her applications got anywhere, and with hindsight that was probably a good thing. Franchises might have been a good idea ten or more years ago but my advice is to steer clear of them now.

A major difficulty is finding a good location....location,location,location.(!)...and my guess is that if you do well in one then that 3 year contract is the last one there for you.

My daughter didn't get that far, but she did get to the second round of interviews (there are three in all) with one well known pearl drink company at which point she discovered they were about to open their own shop across the road and just a few meters down from where she had proposed to set up her franchised operation with their product! They claimed coincidence, and she says she didn't tell them the location, but I am thinking they might have just worked it out from her address and did a search within a few kms radius.
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

A couple we know started a mobile phone business some years ago and it was doing very well until other Filipino stores opened around them that reduced their income and caused them to close down.
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnydays
A couple we know started a mobile phone business some years ago and it was doing very well until other Filipino stores opened around them that reduced their income and caused them to close down.
This will happen to any business that can be copied and the locals will work cheaper and give more credits. Why do you think you see many sari sari stores next to each other, not just one vulcanising shop or a single garden centre.
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gazza-d whereabouts in Suffolk do you live? I spent some time in the city and lived in Bramford. Lovely countryside.
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sunnydays
Gazza-d whereabouts in Suffolk do you live? I spent some time in the city and lived in Bramford. Lovely countryside.
We're in Haverhill, close on the Cambridgeshire/Essex/Suffolk border.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

mikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Starting a Small Business in the Philippines?

Originally Posted by Raffin
Will just add my four penny worth to this dismal but realistic thread. We tried for over a year to start my daughter off in a franchise, the smaller type selling siomai, drinks etc None of her applications got anywhere, and with hindsight that was probably a good thing. Franchises might have been a good idea ten or more years ago but my advice is to steer clear of them now.

A major difficulty is finding a good location....location,location,location.(!)...and my guess is that if you do well in one then that 3 year contract is the last one there for you.

My daughter didn't get that far, but she did get to the second round of interviews (there are three in all) with one well known pearl drink company at which point she discovered they were about to open their own shop across the road and just a few meters down from where she had proposed to set up her franchised operation with their product! They claimed coincidence, and she says she didn't tell them the location, but I am thinking they might have just worked it out from her address and did a search within a few kms radius.

I looked at buying into a franchise and found that no company responded to my emails. OK they were in English and sent from the UK. What I did discover is that in every case the franchise company required you to be able to give them your proposed location. Considering that you have to pay 3/6 months advance rent and sign a lease it seems risky. I did approach Robinsons and they adviced me that they were specifically looking for computer outlets,coffee shops, or burger bars.As my knowledge of computers is limited and because the technology changes so quick I decided it was not for me. As for the burger bar, they reguired a minimum of 100 square metres. ..........at Robinson that would take some commitment. I then discovered that a previous burger bar lasting only a couple of months. The burgers were too expensive for the locals! The coffee shop sounds OK except the major players like Costa Coffee and Starbucks require very high levels of fees. As I only wanted to engage in a business to overcome any boredom the coffee shop idea went out of the window. The last thing I want is a full hands on commitment

If anyone has any ideas or advice I am all hears.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.