SRRV Retirement Visa

Old Nov 14th 2020, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SRRV Retirement Visa

I think from the above letter issued in August that the suspension is simply that the office is closed DUE TO COVID and thus any processing of NEW applications is also suspended. It's not clear if other SRRV business can be accommodated by calling for a special appointment.

Nothing about Chinese Nationals.Or any sort of review, or changing of rules, or termination of the program.
Old Nov 14th 2020, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedApe
I think from the above letter issued in August that the suspension is simply that the office is closed DUE TO COVID and thus any processing of NEW applications is also suspended. It's not clear if other SRRV business can be accommodated by calling for a special appointment.

Nothing about Chinese Nationals.Or any sort of review, or changing of rules, or termination of the program.
Have a look at this, explains their reasons for suspension

https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1119539
Old Nov 15th 2020, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

During the PRA Board of Trustees meeting on Friday, the PRA was directed to review its policies on age bracket, dollar deposit requirements, and the conversion of these deposits into allowable investments.

Well you were correct. It sounds like they are raising the same issues as in Malaysia. But like Malaysia they are potentially going beyond simply having a "nationality cap"

"During the PRA Board of Trustees meeting on Friday, the PRA was directed to review its policies on age bracket, dollar deposit requirements, and the conversion of these deposits into allowable investments."

This sounds as if they may increase the application age....possibly over 50, and require higher deposit amounts and limit what sort of investments (or make mandatory certain investments, not clear) can be done.

" The PRA is expected to implement an "enhanced program" to regularly monitor the profile and activities of active SRRV holders in coordination with other government agencies, such as the Bureau of Immigration, Department of Justice, and the Department of Labor and Employment."

So looks like they will begin looking into peoples backgrounds and "activities" in a more intensive manner. While I'm sure that's mainly to see if the recipients are running on-line gambling, job scams, and other things of that nature other folks that get caught up in lawsuits or legal disputes, or maybe even on-line political chit chat could be targeted.

"It is likewise tasked to coordinate with the Tourism Promotions Board (TPB) to formulate and review PRA’s marketing and product development plans, and the benchmarking of its retirement program with other countries." That might reduce some of the applications from the current high contributing countries...but I suspect that a lot of these folks are approached by agents, not the tourism board.

"According to the DOT, the acceptance and processing of applications to join the SRRV program as well as the issuance of special visas are suspended, pending PRA’s compliance with the above-cited directives."

Does this mean renewals or simply new applications?

Old Sep 28th 2021, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

britishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond repute

" The PRA is expected to implement an "enhanced program" to regularly monitor the profile and activities of active SRRV holders in coordination with other government agencies, such as the Bureau of Immigration, Department of Justice, and the Department of Labor and Employment."

Just as well that govn employees are renown for their integrity, lack of corruption and honesty, then! I am sure elderly retirees will welcome them poking around in their affairs and, perhaps, enlivening the lives of their partners...
Old Sep 29th 2021, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishbull

Just as well that govn employees are renown for their integrity, lack of corruption and honesty, then! I am sure elderly retirees will welcome them poking around in their affairs and, perhaps, enlivening the lives of their partners...
I cannot but wonder as to what an ''inactive SRRv holder would be?
Old Apr 8th 2022, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Feidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond repute
Default SRRV Retirement Visa - Interest Rate on Time Deposit (TD)

Have other SRRV members noticed that the poor 1% interest rate earned from one’s downpayment kept in a Time Deposit (TD) account with a PRA accredited bank has become an even more miserable rate as it is has been reduced to 0.1%, at least with BDO? On the old rate, the annual return after tax for a downpayment of US$ 20K used to be approx $170 after tax. It is now $17.

Clearly the PRA doesn’t advertise that sort of interest rate when seeking to attract new members. I appreciate that SRRV members don’t regard the downpayment as an investment vessel, which is a good job as taking inflation into consideration, members are really losing out on that downpayment. Still, 0.1% does rankle. The banks may set the rate but with the number of SRRV members, and considering we are talking US$, not Pesos, the PRA could step in and negotiate a different form of deposit with better rates.

Are any SRRV members getting a better rate with other PRA accredited banks?

Whilst it’s always advisable to keep as few US$ here as possible, what’s the best interest rate/ return any expats (on any visa) are getting for any form of deposit/ investment in the Philippines, both US$ and Pesos and which bank?

Old Apr 8th 2022, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SRRV Retirement Visa - Interest Rate on Time Deposit (TD)

Originally Posted by Feidlimid
Have other SRRV members noticed that the poor 1% interest rate earned from one’s downpayment kept in a Time Deposit (TD) account with a PRA accredited bank has become an even more miserable rate as it is has been reduced to 0.1%, at least with BDO? On the old rate, the annual return after tax for a downpayment of US$ 20K used to be approx $170 after tax. It is now $17.

Clearly the PRA doesn’t advertise that sort of interest rate when seeking to attract new members. I appreciate that SRRV members don’t regard the downpayment as an investment vessel, which is a good job as taking inflation into consideration, members are really losing out on that downpayment. Still, 0.1% does rankle. The banks may set the rate but with the number of SRRV members, and considering we are talking US$, not Pesos, the PRA could step in and negotiate a different form of deposit with better rates.

Are any SRRV members getting a better rate with other PRA accredited banks?

Whilst it’s always advisable to keep as few US$ here as possible, what’s the best interest rate/ return any expats (on any visa) are getting for any form of deposit/ investment in the Philippines, both US$ and Pesos and which bank?
Used to dream of 1% interest rates. My UK savings rates have been 0.1% for years, recently 0%.
Old Apr 11th 2022, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SRRV Retirement Visa - Interest Rate on Time Deposit (TD)

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
Used to dream of 1% interest rates. My UK savings rates have been 0.1% for years, recently 0%.
agreed this is a very close reflection of just how low interest rates have fallen.

In saying this the dollar interest raes set by their fed are on an upward trajection, maybe the local equivalent in US$ may follow, just not guaranteed.
Old Jul 22nd 2022, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

freebie is an unknown quantity at this point

Just heard from 2 members of another board that both got the SRRV refunds successfully made.
Took over 3 to 4 months in both cases ( PRA keeps your passport all that time ) and the money remitted must be to a dollar denominated bank account outside of Philippines. At least that debunks the myth that was around for a while that refunds weren't possible.
Old Jul 22nd 2022, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by freebie
Just heard from 2 members of another board that both got the SRRV refunds successfully made.
Took over 3 to 4 months in both cases ( PRA keeps your passport all that time ) and the money remitted must be to a dollar denominated bank account outside of Philippines. At least that debunks the myth that was around for a while that refunds weren't possible.
I see no reason why the passports would be held, mine was not. The dollar cheque drawn on a new york bank can be deposited into a philippines $us bank account. From here it is sent to new york for ''collection'' and funds to be released . Mine took 40 days .My exit from the SRRV was done same day and passport sent to BI to get a tourist visa for 21 days at which time I had all but completed the 13a visa.

The only time that there is a delay is if a depositor has been in breach of the scheme. or worse has died, then this will take a vey long time whilst the relevant authorities including the bank take what they can.....and they do!!!
Old Jul 22nd 2022, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

freebie is an unknown quantity at this point

Two guys reported this. One stated 3 months and 3 weeks . The other stated 4.5 months. Maybe you got lucky or they got unlucky. Sample size too small to make conclusions. And yes if you die, the chance of getting that deposit back is probably somewhere wayyyyy less than zero !
Old May 3rd 2023, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Roam123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been reading this thread with interest, especially much earlier posts that discussed the tax issues regarding UK based private/company pensions if the owner was resident in The Philippines on a SRRV or 13a visa.

Some members had mentioned that they were receiving their pension income free of tax due to the 'double taxation agreement' between UK and Philippines.

After doing some research I came to the conclusion that in order to prove residency in Philippines to HMRC a tax residency certificate (TRC) would need to be provided.

I have also discovered that in 2019 a Revenue Memorandum Order (RMO) No. 51-2019 was issued by authorities in Philippines to deny issuance of a TRC to residents who were not also citizens of The Philippines. It appears that in the past the SRRV used to actually promote the possibility of receiving foreign pensions free of tax, but today this is not possible? If anyone is able to on provide insight or further information regarding this issue then much appreciated.
Old Jun 3rd 2023, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

I get my UK private pensions free of UK tax but I did have to submit my tax ID here - my Tax Identification Number , or TIN. This was issued by the revenue here some time ago and seems to have no expiry date - it is also accepted as a government ID.
Now, if you look here: https://pra.gov.ph/srrv/ and scroll down to "Benefits" , you will see the SRRV gives you tax exemption for pensions and annuities. It does not say what to do to obtain clearance. It was HMRC that asked for proof of tax registration here before authorising payment of UK private pensions gross.
I still have to do an annual self assessment for HMRC as my total state pensions are above the personal allowance level.

just done a bit of googling - https://www.bir.gov.ph/index.php/reg...n-for-tin.html

This says a foreigner CAN apply for a TIN. Notice - this is a TAX IDENTIFICATION NUMBER and NOT a Tax Residency Cert. As I understand it, a Tax Residency Cert confirms you pay tax here, so any income imported may be liable for tax, whereas a TIN merely shows you are registered for tax here.HMRC only asked for a copy of my TIN certificate all those years ago.
The above may be a whole load of rubbish but is based on my experience and latest BIR info. I hope it is of some help.
Oh, Here's the BIR page for Tax Residency https://www.bir.gov.ph/index.php/no-...ervice-64.html
Old Jun 3rd 2023, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by quiltman
I get my UK private pensions free of UK tax but I did have to submit my tax ID here - my Tax Identification Number , or TIN. This was issued by the revenue here some time ago and seems to have no expiry date - it is also accepted as a government ID.
Now, if you look here: https://pra.gov.ph/srrv/ and scroll down to "Benefits" , you will see the SRRV gives you tax exemption for pensions and annuities. It does not say what to do to obtain clearance. It was HMRC that asked for proof of tax registration here before authorising payment of UK private pensions gross.
I still have to do an annual self assessment for HMRC as my total state pensions are above the personal allowance level.

just done a bit of googling - https://www.bir.gov.ph/index.php/reg...n-for-tin.html

This says a foreigner CAN apply for a TIN. Notice - this is a TAX IDENTIFICATION NUMBER and NOT a Tax Residency Cert. As I understand it, a Tax Residency Cert confirms you pay tax here, so any income imported may be liable for tax, whereas a TIN merely shows you are registered for tax here.HMRC only asked for a copy of my TIN certificate all those years ago.
The above may be a whole load of rubbish but is based on my experience and latest BIR info. I hope it is of some help.
Oh, Here's the BIR page for Tax Residency https://www.bir.gov.ph/index.php/no-...ervice-64.html
Do you collect your Uk state pension here, or does the Uk gov send here as exempt from tax

if so, UK personal allowances can be used against other Uk pensions income ?

i have not yet heard from anyone collecting their Uk state pension here, makes sense to do so as is tax exempt at this end as all pensions paid from here are tax exempt
Old Jun 3rd 2023, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

Roam123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Reply very much appreciated Guiltman

I've noticed a lot of discussion in the expat world about the importance of TRCs as proof of tax residency. Good to know that a TIN may also be acceptable, as was in your case some years ago.

I am not able to post a link to some information on Revenue Memorandum Order (RMO) No. 51-2019 so I have copied it below:

The discourse on double taxation is never new. It has always been and will always be part of an employee mobility or business expansion. Hence, the double tax treaty agreements (DTA) were put into place to avoid imposing tax on the same income or property and to encourage foreign trade and investment. These DTAs not only help define ambiguous taxation rules or set conditions on certain treaty concepts, it also comes with benefits that taxpayers can claim and enjoy (e.g. tax exemption). The enjoyment of benefits provided for in the DTAs are now being strictly regulated to avoid taxpayers from availing unintended tax treaty benefits. On October 22, 2019, the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) has released Revenue Memorandum Order (RMO) No. 51-2019 dated 08 July 2019 prescribing the guidelines and procedures for the processing and issuance of a Tax Residency Certificate (TRC). Aside from regulating the issuance of TRCs, the Bureau deems it necessary to issue the said RMO to also prevent any misuse or abuse of TRCs.

The RMO made it clear that only residents of a Contracting State who are subject to Philippine tax based on worldwide income are entitled to claim the treaty benefits for which a TRC is secured. Accordingly, only resident citizens and domestic corporations are considered “residents of a Contracting State” for purposes of claiming treaty benefits in the Philippines because only them are subject to tax on their worldwide income. On the other hand, resident aliens and resident foreign corporations although treated as residents for domestic tax purposes, are not resident for TRC purposes.

The following policies were provided by the RMO for the issuance of TRCs:

1. The International Tax Affairs Division (ITAD) shall be in charge of receiving and processing of all applications for the issuance of TRCs.

2. All applicants engaged in trade or business or practice of profession must be registered with the Bureau of Internal Revenue under a regular Tax Identification Number (“TIN”).

3. TRCs are issued based on tax residency in the Philippines of the applicant. The burden of proving the fact of residency, pursuant to effective and applicable tax treaties, rests upon the applicant.

4. The Bureau has designed its own TRC to eliminate or minimize any attempt to conceal the real nature and amount of income earned abroad, and for this reason, ITAD shall no longer sign the TRC forms of foreign jurisdictions.

5. ITAD will no longer accept TRC applications of resident aliens, including pensioners, and resident foreign corporations (e.g. regional operating headquarters, regional or area headquarters).

6. Proper linkage between the assessment offices of the BIR and ITAD shall be established. ITAD shall act as repository of documents substantiating the foreign-sourced income of Philippine taxpayers and shall furnish the appropriate Revenue District Office (RDO) or Large Taxpayers Division (LTD) of all documents submitted by the applicant. Following the procedures for conducting tax investigation, the RDO or LTD shall assess deficiency tax and enforce the collection thereof including penalties, if applicable.

The ITAD will process a TRC application within 14 working days from the submission of the complete documents. The documentary requirements are enumerated in Annex B and Annex C of the RMO. These include a letter request, TIN, proof of transaction, Articles of Incorporation, income tax returns, barangay certification and audited financial statements.

A letter of denial shall be issued if, based on the submitted documents, either the taxpayer is not entitled to the treaty benefit or has submitted fake documents. Unless and until the taxpayer declares the real nature of transaction abroad and submits authentic documents, the Bureau will be constrained to issue a denial.

The BIR may have been lenient in the issuance of TRCs in the past but due to the continuous in flock of foreign nationals and foreign corporations that do business in the Philippines, the BIR is now stringent in implementing the policies and guidelines mentioned in the RMO. Through this issuance, the BIR aims to award treaty benefits to qualified applicants, based on its interpretation.

Thanks again for your reply.

Last edited by Roam123; Jun 3rd 2023 at 8:06 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.