Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Same-sex marriage and civil partnership in the Philippines

Same-sex marriage and civil partnership in the Philippines

Old Nov 24th 2017, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice
Default Same-sex marriage and civil partnership in the Philippines

hi there

i am writing on behalf of a mate.

she is a british citizen who is dating a female filipino citizen. they want to get married and them move back to northern ireland. there are a few things that she needs some help with:

1) are filipino citizens able to take part in same sex marriages with british citizens at the british embassy? i know this is restricted in some countries, e.g. vietnam didn't allow vietnamese citizens to get civil partnered to their same sex partners in the british embassy in ho chi minh city.

2) same sex marriage is not permitted in northern ireland at present. if my friend was to get married (NOT civil partnered) in the british embassy, would she be able to register her marriage in the general records office in england?

thanks!
cc
Old Nov 24th 2017, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Same-sex marriage and civil partnership in the Philippines

Suggest you contact the embassy in Manila and ask them
Old Nov 24th 2017, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You can't marry at the British Embassy.

The Embassy can provide affidavits and affirmations for marriage to take place.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...he-philippines
Old Nov 25th 2017, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

[QUOTE=SanDiegogirl;12388694]You can't marry at the British Embassy.

The Embassy can provide affidavits and affirmations for marriage to take place.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...he-philippines

It is possible to get married at the British Embassy.

Their website literally states this:
"Same-sex marriage in the Philippines
Before you start
You can get married at the British embassy in Manila.

If you and your partner don’t live in the Philippines, you need to have been there for at least 21 days before you can get married. You need to stay in the country for the 21 days."

The point is: can a British citizen get married to her female same-sex Filipino partner? The British Emabssy in Vietnam (where I got my civil partnership with my Chinese same-sex partner) is not allowed to conduct same-sex marriages/civil partnerships between British and Vietnamese citizens. My friend is wondering if the Philippines has a similar rule.

She has contacted the Embassy in Manila many times but they don't reply directly to emails. They only send general automatic responses. She has called them but there isn't an option to speak to a real person either!

She's at her wits end and needs to check a few things about the process. I'm just trying to help her!
Old Nov 26th 2017, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

As of June 3rd this year, British Embassies/consulates can perform same sex marriages in 24 countries where it is not allowed locally, so long as one of the partners is a British Citizen.
https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/th...e-sex-weddings
They will need the correct documentation to prove the Filipina partner is legally free, so the first step is to contact the Embassy for details. I've used the contact email before and had replies within a couple of days. Alternatively I believe you can make an appointment.
Not sure the marriage can be registered in UK but it would be accepted as legal and presumably the Embassy would issue some form of certification.
northern Ireland does not allow/recognise same sex marriages BUT does recognise same sex marriages performed elsewhere as civil partnerships. This is because marriage is a devolved function in NI and currently appeals to recognise same sex marriages are just dismissed. Hopefully the law will change in due time , especially as the Republic of Ireland has recently recognised same sex marriages.
Old Nov 26th 2017, 4:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Can't answer the question, but always interested in seeing the photos.