Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

SOS Daughter's rights from British father Filipino mother

SOS Daughter's rights from British father Filipino mother

Old Feb 5th 2016, 8:01 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SOS Daughter's rights from British father Filipino mother

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
You seem to be putting a lot of faith into a signature that anybody could have made. I suspect the British embassy will require something a bit more solid.
Which could be said for any birth certificate. The passport examiner in the UK, not the embassy, may request a DNA test but it is not mandatory. Until the OP applies then it's mere speculation.
Old Feb 5th 2016, 8:24 am
Just Joined

Joyax79 is an unknown quantity at this point

All your inputs are highly appreciated. So far, the father already paid the application for baby's passport online. I am doing my best to gather the requirements from my end.

In this regard, I'm kinda confused about baby's identity documents. I only have her NSO birth certificate copies. In the checklist, it says 3 valid documents with her photo on it and address. What else should I send? Should I get her a Philippine passport then? Another thing is my antenatal record. Does it cover until delivery? They're asking for original copies only and the hospital is owning that. Would certified true copies do? Then the countersignatory thing...is another individual, not the father, right? That person should be having a British or EU passport and someone who knows both the father and the baby. Am I correct?

How I wish someone has experience applying it online can share here, too. Thank you so much.
Old Feb 5th 2016, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joyax79
All your inputs are highly appreciated. So far, the father already paid the application for baby's passport online. I am doing my best to gather the requirements from my end.

In this regard, I'm kinda confused about baby's identity documents. I only have her NSO birth certificate copies. In the checklist, it says 3 valid documents with her photo on it and address. What else should I send? Should I get her a Philippine passport then? Another thing is my antenatal record. Does it cover until delivery? They're asking for original copies only and the hospital is owning that. Would certified true copies do? Then the countersignatory thing...is another individual, not the father, right? That person should be having a British or EU passport and someone who knows both the father and the baby. Am I correct?

How I wish someone has experience applying it online can share here, too. Thank you so much.
I am sure a Philippine passport would come in very useful seeing as though that is where you live.

I do not believe anyone in Europe can countersign a British passport application, well it certainly wasn't last time I signed one for somebody, it would need to be someone British.
Old Feb 5th 2016, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joyax79

I am sure you have looked but for additional info you could also have a look at other topic

http://britishexpats.com/forum/phili...gister-803462/

I have used my son's baptism certificate as one identity when he applied for his British passport, but that was quite a few years ago. I don't know if there is any age limit but what about a postal ID .
Old Feb 5th 2016, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Looking ahead a bit I know, but once your child formally takes British citizenship their Philippine citizenship will be lost and will need to be reaquired to be able to stay in the Philippines without a visa. Not difficult to do but just another whoop to be jumped through.
Old Feb 5th 2016, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Joyax79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, Sir Stokkevn, I have her baptismal certificate. I read the thread
http://britishexpats.com/forum/phili...gister-803462/ also.

My daughter is just 10 months old and only her NSO copy of BC and baptismal I have. I don't think she'll be issued a postal ID with her age, too.
Old Feb 5th 2016, 6:39 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I am sure a Philippine passport would come in very useful seeing as though that is where you live.

I do not believe anyone in Europe can countersign a British passport application, well it certainly wasn't last time I signed one for somebody, it would need to be someone British.
Doesn't even have to be in Europe, last time I did it it said you could use someone from your country of residence, so long as they were a professional person with a reputable standing.
Old Feb 5th 2016, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Doesn't even have to be in Europe, last time I did it it said you could use someone from your country of residence, so long as they were a professional person with a reputable standing.
You might be misunderstanding me. I was not referring to physical location but I was referring to nationality. Actually last time I signed a British passport application I was not in the UK or in Europe. But I am still British and a British person was required, this was 2008.
Old Feb 5th 2016, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

You might be misunderstanding me. I was not referring to physical location but I was referring to nationality. Actually last time I signed a British passport application I was not in the UK or in Europe. But I am still British and a British person was required, this was 2008.
Certainly for RENEWALS it can be, as nonthaburi says, anyone in your country who is a professional. Mine was countersigned by a friend who is a judge and therefore his existence can usually be checked via various registers.
I am fairly sure the same applies to FIRST passports as not every expat has access to a nearby Brit! I'll go check as we are just about to apply for our grandsons British passport - English Dad, Filipino Mum.
Old Feb 5th 2016, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Right, just checked here: https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...otes_09.15.PDF
Page 13 relates to countersignatories. bit confusing, as it states should be UK, EU, US or commonwealth passport holder. BUT it then says that these allow quicker processing. You can use a countersignatory from your country but it will take longer as their passport and identity need to be double checked.
Old Feb 5th 2016, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

When applying from overseas, it is not required that the countersignatory be British:
https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-pa...ign-what-to-do

Who can sign your form and photo
Your countersignatory must:

have known the person applying (or the adult who signed the form if the passport is for a child under 16) for at least 2 years
be able to identify the person applying, eg they’re a friend, neighbour or colleague (not just someone who knows them professionally)
be ‘a person of good standing in their community’ or work in (or be retired from) a recognised profession
AND/BUT:
If you’re applying outside the UK

Your countersignatory must have a current British, Irish or other EU, US or Commonwealth passport.

If they have a US, Commonwealth, or non-British or non-Irish EU passport, you must include with your application a colour photocopy of the page with their photograph on it.

Your application will be processed faster if they have a British or Irish passport.

Last edited by Shirtback; Feb 5th 2016 at 11:46 pm. Reason: Missed out half the relevant quote :(
Old Feb 7th 2016, 9:09 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

No misunderstanding, I was referring to nationality.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 2:15 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
Looking ahead a bit I know, but once your child formally takes British citizenship their Philippine citizenship will be lost and will need to be reaquired to be able to stay in the Philippines without a visa. Not difficult to do but just another whoop to be jumped through.
This is incorrect. The child is already a British citizen. Acquiring their British passport will no effect on their Philippine citizenship.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

ruri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shirtback
When applying from overseas, it is not required that the countersignatory be British:
https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-pa...ign-what-to-do

AND/BUT:
I was a little afraid when I applied for my daughter's British passport from Malaysia last month since our counter-signatory was a Malaysian (Commonwealth) too, with a professional job and a friend of ours for years. HMPO staff reminded me that the process would PROBABLY takes longer when I called them before I sent the application. But I did it anyway, and surprisingly my daughter's first passport was printed and dispatched the day after they receive the declaration form and our documents.

I'm not sure if it was just luck, but I did give everything they ask for; colour photocopies of my daughter's passport (all pages including it's cover), colour copy of counter-signatory's passport bio page, other originals documents, certified translation, and also my daughter's British grandparents's birth certificates and their marriage certificate.

Last edited by ruri; Feb 8th 2016 at 3:42 pm.
Old May 13th 2016, 7:11 am
Just Joined

teejay69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Been reading your thread about the rights of your child from a british father, i had a similar situation of my ex getting pregnant and had the baby on phil. my ex is still in the phil, and should travel to the uk once the babys passport is ready. i actually signed the babys birth certificate and currently suports the child. i also applied for a british passport for the child and provided all the documents, its a straight forward process, as long you provide all documents required. the process can take upto 9 months as the passport office needs to verify all the mothers document. so let me know if you need any advise and i can assist you. cheers