Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

SOS Daughter's rights from British father Filipino mother

SOS Daughter's rights from British father Filipino mother

Old Feb 2nd 2016, 5:50 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SOS Daughter's rights from British father Filipino mother

The most important thing is an original of the father's long birth certificate.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 9:38 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
The most important thing is an original of the father's long birth certificate.
Which can be easily obtained from the GRO without the father's knowledge or consent.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Whether or not you obtain a British passport for your daughter, the embassy can not and will not help you get child support/alimony payments. Nor will they be of any help in enforcing any court order for such. That's quite simply not an embassy's job.

Having said that, you can & should apply for your daughter's British passport (see above advice on how) but it will be a lengthy process, and won't have any bearing on obtaining any financial support from the father.

If the father decides to stop voluntarily supporting his child financially, you could apply to the family court in your jurisdiction for a court order. As the father is resident in another country, you would then need to have that court order ratified by the legal system in the country of his residence, with no guarantee that you'd actually receive any money, even if court ordered (having looked quickly at the respective jurisdictions, I'd say you don't have a hope in Hades of seeing a penny ). All that would most likely cost you a significant amount of money, for very likely no return.

As the father is not a UK resident, a UK lawyer/court won't be able to help.

I'm sorry if the above sounds harsh & shatters your hopes, unfortunately it's a realistic portrait. I do hope the father continues to support his child financially on a voluntary basis.

Last edited by Shirtback; Feb 3rd 2016 at 12:04 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 2:28 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Which can be easily obtained from the GRO without the father's knowledge or consent.
Very true, my dad asked for a copy of the long version for me, because I was out of the country. For a fiver,it's very reasonably priced too I thought.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Whether or not you obtain a British passport for your daughter, the embassy can not and will not help you get child support/alimony payments. Nor will they be of any help in enforcing any court order for such. That's quite simply not an embassy's job.

Having said that, you can & should apply for your daughter's British passport (see above advice on how) but it will be a lengthy process, and won't have any bearing on obtaining any financial support from the father.

If the father decides to stop voluntarily supporting his child financially, you could apply to the family court in your jurisdiction for a court order. As the father is resident in another country, you would then need to have that court order ratified by the legal system in the country of his residence, with no guarantee that you'd actually receive any money, even if court ordered (having looked quickly at the respective jurisdictions, I'd say you don't have a hope in Hades of seeing a penny ). All that would most likely cost you a significant amount of money, for very likely no return.

As the father is not a UK resident, a UK lawyer/court won't be able to help.

I'm sorry if the above sounds harsh & shatters your hopes, unfortunately it's a realistic portrait. I do hope the father continues to support his child financially on a voluntary basis.
Although the mother can apply without the father being present, I seem to remember having to sign the form somewhere, whether this is compulsory though I'm not sure. Perhaps someone who has done this more recently can give details.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Although the mother can apply without the father being present, I seem to remember having to sign the form somewhere, whether this is compulsory though I'm not sure. Perhaps someone who has done this more recently can give details.
Are your still talking about getting a birth certificate? Birth certificates are public records and anyone can obtain a copy of any birth certificate they want in the UK.

I am still puzzled as to what obtaining birth certificate or passport has to do with securing child maintenance.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think any of this could happen without the farthers permission. As they are not married there is a very good likelyhood that a DNA test will be required, and that's not going to happen without the farthers input.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 5:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
I don't think any of this could happen without the farthers permission. As they are not married there is a very good likelyhood that a DNA test will be required, and that's not going to happen without the farthers input.
I don't believe a DNA test is necessary to obtain either the birth cert or a passport, especially as the fathers name is on the birth certificate already.

if it were necessary britinParis would have mentioned it above.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

For the birth certificate, no. For the passport application, it didn't used to be a requirement, but this may have changed (& there may be requirements particular to applications from the Philippines).

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I don't believe a DNA test is necessary to obtain either the birth cert or a passport, especially as the fathers name is on the birth certificate already.

I believe applications from the Philippines (passports, not BC) are sometimes subject to DNA tests, but this is not necessarily standard for all applications. The question has come up before - in the 'First passport for child overseas' thread, I think.

As Gazza mentions, & I tried to point out in my earlier post, the passport/UK birth certificate issue will not make any difference to child support.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 11:38 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

A DNA test is not mandatory but the Philippines is treated as one of the highest risk countries in terms of fraud/invalid passport applications as the Philippines is the only country left in the world that doesn't permit divorce other than Vatican City. The OP asked about her daughter's rights - as the child of a British-born citizen one of her primary rights is British citizenship and a British passport. Whether this will aid her mother in obtaining alimony from the father is another matter.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Are your still talking about getting a birth certificate? Birth certificates are public records and anyone can obtain a copy of any birth certificate they want in the UK.

I am still puzzled as to what obtaining birth certificate or passport has to do with securing child maintenance.
No I was talking about applying for the British passport.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Proof of the childs nationality is required. They are not going to take the foriegn mothers word for it.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

A DNA test is not mandatory but the Philippines is treated as one of the highest risk countries in terms of fraud/invalid passport applications as the Philippines is the only country left in the world that doesn't permit divorce other than Vatican City. The OP asked about her daughter's rights - as the child of a British-born citizen one of her primary rights is British citizenship and a British passport. Whether this will aid her mother in obtaining alimony from the father is another matter.
Thank you for clarifying that in regards to citizenship/passport.

I agree that child support (/alimony) payments are a totally different kettle of fish & have nothing to do with the citizenship/passport debate.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
Proof of the childs nationality is required. They are not going to take the foriegn mothers word for it.
If he signed the birth certificate then there's no need to.

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Thank you for clarifying that in regards to citizenship/passport.

I agree that child support (/alimony) payments are a totally different kettle of fish & have nothing to do with the citizenship/passport debate.
Both important but separate issues. Hopefully the OP will be able to resolve both without too much trouble.
Old Feb 5th 2016, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

If he signed the birth certificate then there's no need to.

Both important but separate issues. Hopefully the OP will be able to resolve both without too much trouble.
You seem to be putting a lot of faith into a signature that anybody could have made. I suspect the British embassy will require something a bit more solid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.