Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

SOS Daughter's rights from British father Filipino mother

SOS Daughter's rights from British father Filipino mother

Old Feb 1st 2016, 9:09 am
Just Joined

Joyax79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SOS Daughter's rights from British father Filipino mother

Good day to all!
I'm new here. I was in UAE when I met a British engineer from a dating site there. We dated, we fell in love then I got pregnant. We were both not prepared and I couldn't renew my contract anymore. He decided to let me come home while we continue our relationship because we can't get married. He said he is only legally separated from his wife in the UK and that the baby will be out before he can divorce her. He didn't file his divorce and I'm back in Mindanao jobless. He signed in the baby's birth certificate also as we agreed to make her legit. He is supporting us but many times he is threatening also to stop the sending every time he has problems. I don't know what to do about my situation with my daughter now that he is threatening us again. Should I seek help from the embassy so as to make sure that my daughter be supported? Who should I really talk to regarding my daughter's rights? I really hope I can get sound advice from here. Thank you in advance.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SOS Daughter's rights from British father Filipino mother

I fear the Embassy will not provide much help. is the child's father in UAE or in Britain ?
Old Feb 1st 2016, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

Hello Scot47.

The child's father is based in Dubai, Sir. He travels a lot because of his job. Their company has projects around the world. I'm hoping they'll win the bidding for another one in Cebu this year so he can be reached nearby.

Have you known someone of the same case, Sir? I'm really positive that I can find someone here who is or was on the same boat or even can just get any idea those from their friends or acquaintances.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you have to stay on good terms with the father of your child and negotiate with him to provide support and maintenance..
Perhaps other posters will give different advice
Old Feb 1st 2016, 9:14 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The embassy is unlikely to help you chase the father for alimony especially if your child does not hold a British passport.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Get yourself legal advice?

You say he has signed the birth certificate so you have proof of his being the father.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your replies.

To SanDiegogirl, Ma'am, I asked some lawyer friends about it. I learned that the British embassy is so keen about this kind of issue. We'll just write them about it since he is in another country and they'll be the one to connect to him properly, we don't have jurisdiction. My daughter has rights to be supported by her father since he signed the birth certificate, that the lawyers are sure of. I just hope the father cooperates.

I'm considering also Mr. Scot47's advice. Sir, do you think he'll find it aggressive if I write the embassy now? He knows that I asked lawyers about our baby's rights. As much as possible, I'm doing my best not to pressure him. I understand that he's busy with his job. In fact, I'm not really arguing with him, Sir. It's just that somehow I can't understand only why he is taking differently most of the times my points in our discussions.

Sir BritInParis, he agreed to get a British passport for our baby, too. I read a lot the things shared in another thread about it. I'm still confused about the list of requirements though...trying my best to prepare those from my end. I have worries about the passport application because in that thread, the fathers are so willing to do anything. My baby's father is not as excited as them. Anyway, I'm crossing my fingers he won't break his promise on this one.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Joyax79. look here:
Right to support of illegitimate child arises if father recognizes child | The Manila Times Online

As I understand it, if the father has recognised the child as his - which he appears to have done - then under Filipino law you are entitled to claim support. BUT as the father is not in the Philippines, this will probably be very difficult to enforce. If he should come to Cebu, then you may be able to get the Filipino court to act. sorry I cannot be more helpful.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, by the way, as I understand it, her possible British citizenship can only be filed by the British Citizen parent. Brit in Paris may confirm or contradict this I'm sure.
Be aware it is VERY expensive and takes a long time as the Philippines is considered one of the countries whose documents etc are suspect and much checking/confirmation is required.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Joyax. I hate to put a dampener on your expectations that you could get him to pay for his child, he is British and seemingly works/lives in the Middle East amongst other areas. The UK system has problems making errant fathers living in the next town stump up for their kids.

Best suggestion is to contact a UK lawyer and see what they say the chances are. I am sure someone on here has the contact details of a friendly lawyer that could give some sound advice for free.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

I think the very first thing to do is get the child a British birth certificate (British citizen born abroad?). You can not do anything about a British passport until you have one.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 7:35 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
Oh, by the way, as I understand it, her possible British citizenship can only be filed by the British Citizen parent. Brit in Paris may confirm or contradict this I'm sure.
Be aware it is VERY expensive and takes a long time as the Philippines is considered one of the countries whose documents etc are suspect and much checking/confirmation is required.
Any person with parental responsibility can sign the passport form declaration. They do not need to be a British citizen.

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
I think the very first thing to do is get the child a British birth certificate (British citizen born abroad?). You can not do anything about a British passport until you have one.
The parent can apply directly for a British passport without a consular birth certificate for the child. It is not mandatory to register the birth although it can make applying for a passport easier in the future.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joyax79
Thank you for your replies.

To SanDiegogirl, Ma'am, I asked some lawyer friends about it. I learned that the British embassy is so keen about this kind of issue. We'll just write them about it since he is in another country and they'll be the one to connect to him properly, we don't have jurisdiction. My daughter has rights to be supported by her father since he signed the birth certificate, that the lawyers are sure of. I just hope the father cooperates.

I'm considering also Mr. Scot47's advice. Sir, do you think he'll find it aggressive if I write the embassy now? He knows that I asked lawyers about our baby's rights. As much as possible, I'm doing my best not to pressure him. I understand that he's busy with his job. In fact, I'm not really arguing with him, Sir. It's just that somehow I can't understand only why he is taking differently most of the times my points in our discussions.

Sir BritInParis, he agreed to get a British passport for our baby, too. I read a lot the things shared in another thread about it. I'm still confused about the list of requirements though...trying my best to prepare those from my end. I have worries about the passport application because in that thread, the fathers are so willing to do anything. My baby's father is not as excited as them. Anyway, I'm crossing my fingers he won't break his promise on this one.
I would honestly be very surprised if any British embassy is going to take any interest in pursuing an absent father for child maintenance. It isn't their role to do so. And whilst everyone will agree that both parents should be supporting their children, I think you are over estimating what your daughters "rights" will amount to in practice.

Sadly there are many, many fathers in the UK that do not support their own children, this is when mother, father and child all live in the UK, maybe ten miles apart. I don't fancy your chances of forcing an absent father to pay up whilst he is in Dubai and you in Philipines. Negotiation and keeping on good terms is probably the best strategy.

I am not sure that possessing a British passport is going to make any difference to the current situation, although obviously I understand that she may wish to use it when she is older.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 9:25 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
Not true, unless the rules have changed. Getting the local birth certificate translated into English and verified is enough.

Both my children do not have a UK birth certificate, but they both have UK passports.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Not true, unless the rules have changed. Getting the local birth certificate translated into English and verified is enough.

Both my children do not have a UK birth certificate, but they both have UK passports.
It may not be necessary but it could oil the wheels.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.