Soon to take the plunge

Old Sep 2nd 2019, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Soon to take the plunge

Originally Posted by Crystal Dale
If Filipinos just live for today How can they plan for tomorrow?
A rare beast but they do exist, have you heard phrase one day millionaires. Most Filipinos when coming into a windfall buy beer and throw a party. Once in a while they will come good. We have a relation by marriage who's family own a major pork processing plant near Angeles which was started on the kitchen table by their parents, so it can happen.
Old Sep 2nd 2019, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

If Filipinos just live for today How can they plan for tomorrow?
The answer is they rarely plan for tomorrow as long term is one meal to the next. This is a reality when hunger has been a key driver for a country whose population has exploded without economic growth to support
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Crystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikemike
The answer is they rarely plan for tomorrow as long term is one meal to the next. This is a reality when hunger has been a key driver for a country whose population has exploded without economic growth to support
the population has exploded because of no sex education in school, the catholic belief that a child is a gift from God even if its mother already has many children and can't look after anymore so will discard them onto the streets to survive by themselfves.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

the population has exploded because of no sex education in school, the catholic belief that a child is a gift from God even if its mother already has many children and can't look after anymore so will discard them onto the streets to survive by themselfves.
Yes we know, does the reason matter more than the consequences. I do not see much evidence of children being discarded on the street. Yes there are homeless here many of then family units. Those whose parents are deceased may be lucky if they can get taken into care, a limited option.

Children are seen as a pension so discarding is not much in evidence.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 8:35 am
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

the population has exploded because of no sex education in school, the catholic belief that a child is a gift from God ........etc.
Was there sex education previously, before the population explosion?
As for those wicked Catholics, how come there's been no such explosion in Italy, Spain, France or Eastern Europe?
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tooboocoo
Was there sex education previously, before the population explosion?
As for those wicked Catholics, how come there's been no such explosion in Italy, Spain, France or Eastern Europe?
Well the countries you quote are in the EU were there are good education standards. The Philippine population trend is echoed in South America and throughout sub Sahara Africa.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Those places like here, religion is a superstition so it carries more weight of fear of retribution than anything else. politicians like to encourage this as it is a good earner for them
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Crystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember we went in a 7 Eleven on Makati Av. near our hotel on my of my visits to PH. It was in the evening with several child beggars outside. My wife bought some sky flakes for a girl no more than 10 with nothing on her feet, who she said reminded her of her daughter. We sat down to eat, and that child could be seen directly opposite my seat trying hard to open the snack as if it was the first foods she's been given all day? I told my wife to go back outside to open it for her and before one of the boys steals it and I also said that we should buy her some water. Seeing a beautiful child just a few metres from my eyes trying to open the snack was one of the saddest things I have ever seen. Who can say that particular child isn't a victim of circumstance, with her being an unwanted child of parents who couldn't look after another child but still wanted to have sex with no protection? Don't just assume that all the child beggars we saw were in a group belonging to the same family.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

''Don't just assume that all the child beggars we saw were in a group belonging to the same family.''
You have a lot to learn. Child begging syndicates are also an earner for some
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

''Don't just assume that all the child beggars we saw were in a group belonging to the same family.''
You have a lot to learn. Child begging syndicates are also an earner for some
my wife has said there are syndicates and if the children who are put on the streets in the morning then collected in the evening havent managed enough money from begging or stolen from say Divisoria or on MRT if they're older, they get beaten but that particular girl I saw was desperate to eat something like her life depended on it which it probably did.
Old Sep 4th 2019, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks to everyone for their input but I want to close this thread
Old Sep 12th 2019, 3:58 am
Just Joined

ellisiana is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Philosophical for the Welcome and advice on financial matters. She already inquired at her local BPi who confirmed that I need to be present for a joint acct, therefore, I'm happy for her to just open one in her name and I can, of course, monitor any acct activity when she has registered for online banking with them. She suggested English online teaching but I've read that a qualification such as a BA is the minimum requirement and that the interview is very challenging.
Hi Crystal Dale. I have just joined this forum, but have been living here in Phils with my wife for about 5 years now.

Firstly, as others have pointed out, I would be wary about sending such a large amount of money in one go, especially at this time. For at least two reasons, large amounts can attract the attention of the Bureau of Internal Revenue. I recently transferred £10,000 for a house build we are doing. It was held up in Manila at the banks head office (BDO) while we had to jump through several hoops before it was released. We regularly send £5000 without trouble.
Second, the exchange rate is pretty poor at the moment, around 61 / £1. After the Brexit vote in 2016 it dropped to 58/£1. A little over a year ago we were getting 75. I would certainly wait until after Brexit before sending a large amount.

My wife teaches English online and is very lucrative. She did a two week online teacher training course which was quite straight forward and that is the only teaching qualification she has. Her English is excellent though and has a very confident personality so for her the the online interview was very straighforward. She now teaches Chinese and Japanese students through a Taiwan based company and earns arount 65k php/month net, for around 4 to 5 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week. She has been doing that for around 4 years now. Usually 2 hours in the morning and 2 or 3 hours in the evening. As a comparison, that is the equivalent of a full time middle managers income here in the Phils without the stress and travelling! The good thing is it is completely flexible hours. She can work as much or as little as she wants.
You do need a reliable internet connection though, which is a potential minefield and worthy of a topic on its own!

Good luck with your move.

Last edited by ellisiana; Sep 12th 2019 at 5:12 am.
Old Sep 12th 2019, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ellisiana

Hi Crystal Dale. I have just joined this forum, but have been living here in Phils with my wife for about 5 years now.

Firstly, as others have pointed out, I would be wary about sending such a large amount of money in one go, especially at this time. For at least two reasons, large amounts can attract the attention of the Bureau of Internal Revenue. I recently transferred £10,000 for a house build we are doing. It was held up in Manila at the banks head office (BDO) while we had to jump through several hoops before it was released. We regularly send £5000 without trouble.
Second, the exchange rate is pretty poor at the moment, around 61 / £1. After the Brexit vote in 2016 it dropped to 58/£1. A little over a year ago we were getting 75. I would certainly wait until after Brexit before sending a large amount.

My wife teaches English online and is very lucrative. She did a two week online teacher training course which was quite straight forward and that is the only teaching qualification she has. Her English is excellent though and has a very confident personality so for her the the online interview was very straighforward. She now teaches Chinese and Japanese students through a Taiwan based company and earns arount 65k php/month net, for around 4 to 5 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week. She has been doing that for around 4 years now. Usually 2 hours in the morning and 2 or 3 hours in the evening. As a comparison, that is the equivalent of a full time middle managers income here in the Phils without the stress and travelling! The good thing is it is completely flexible hours. She can work as much or as little as she wants.
You do need a reliable internet connection though, which is a potential minefield and worthy of a topic on its own!

Good luck with your move.

excellent first post and welcome There are more than a few expats looking to supplement their incomes The below part of your post may prove to be interesting for some.

Would your wife be happy to share how she went through the process in terms of what it entailed and with which company? There are more than a few on line teaching organisation that somehow get way with paying 120 pesos an hour!! Thanks

''My wife teaches English online and is very lucrative. She did a two week online teacher training course which was quite straight forward and that is the only teaching qualification she has. Her English is excellent though and has a very confident personality so for her the the online interview was very straightforward. She now teaches Chinese and Japanese students through a Taiwan based company and earns around 65k php/month net, for around 4 to 5 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week. She has been doing that for around 4 years now. Usually 2 hours in the morning and 2 or 3 hours in the evening. As a comparison, that is the equivalent of a full time middle managers income here in the Phils without the stress and travelling! The good thing is it is completely flexible hours. She can work as much or as little as she wants.''
Old Sep 12th 2019, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

excellent first post and welcome There are more than a few expats looking to supplement their incomes The below part of your post may prove to be interesting for some.

Would your wife be happy to share how she went through the process in terms of what it entailed and with which company? There are more than a few on line teaching organisation that somehow get way with paying 120 pesos an hour!! Thanks

''My wife teaches English online and is very lucrative. She did a two week online teacher training course which was quite straight forward and that is the only teaching qualification she has. Her English is excellent though and has a very confident personality so for her the the online interview was very straightforward. She now teaches Chinese and Japanese students through a Taiwan based company and earns around 65k php/month net, for around 4 to 5 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week. She has been doing that for around 4 years now. Usually 2 hours in the morning and 2 or 3 hours in the evening. As a comparison, that is the equivalent of a full time middle managers income here in the Phils without the stress and travelling! The good thing is it is completely flexible hours. She can work as much or as little as she wants.''

Thanks for the welcome mikemike.

Certainly I can share the information you seek. The company my wife works for is called TutorABC. It is a Taiwan based company but teaches mainly Chinese and Japanese students of all ages.

It seems I am not allowed to post a link to the company, due to me being a newbie. Google is your friend!

They employ around 30,000 teachers around the world. Their salary seems to be based on country of residence. As a Philippine resident my wifes base salary is around $5.50 per hour. However there is a good bonus structure which uplifts earnings considerably. Tax assesment has recently been moved from Taiwan, which was quite draconian and removed any incentive to earn above a certain threshold, to Hong Kong, which is a flat rate 10% tax. Salaries are paid in US dollars and net of tax, monthly.
As I mentioned in my previous post, she has been with them around four years now and has reached a Senior Consultant ranking which has opened up new teaching opportunities within the company. By that I mean she now teaches 'Demonstration' sessions for prospective clients. Recently she was upgraded to the Oxford University Programme, not sure what that entails but she has a different student set with a higher level of bonus. These demonstration sessions are of 15 minute duration and she does three an hour. In addition to her hourly rate she gets a bonus of $20US for every student that signs up to a course. She is almost exclusively on demos now and as a consequence her net salary is boosted considerably by these sign ups.

My wife had no formal teaching qualifications prior to setting out on this path. Just a regular college education, certainly not to BA standard mentioned as a requirement in the company 'blurb'. What she has in spades though is personality which goes a long way in the teaching game. She did complete an online TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) course and got the diploma, which is all TutorABC actually required. The interview, which is conducted online, was quite straightforward, and involved a dummy training session, one on one with the interviewer. It lasted about 30 minutes if IIRC. I think that is where the personality issue comes into play. If you have the ability to relate to your student, and get the subject across, then that is the main thing. TutorABC rely heavily on client feedback. At the end of each session the student completes a feedback assessment on a score of 1 to 10. 10 being the highest. She rarely gets less than 10, very occassionally a 9. Her average is 9.85. That rating is important, as the higher the rating, the higher your bonus. It also opens up different teaching avenues, for example the Oxford Univerity programme which I believe requires an average of 9.5 to be considered. The higher the score, the more students you get.

Another advantage is the complete flexibility you have as to when and how much you work.

One issue that we have had here in Phils is the reliability of the infrastructure, with regard to power and internet. We used to get quite a few brownouts which caused my wife to have patchy scores. Very frustrating as they are outside her control. Also PLDT who we use as our main internet provider are pretty unreliable. So we have Globe as a backup. They aren't much better to be honest, but between them we get a reliable service. And a UPS to run the internet modems and lights in the event of a brownout, until the power returns.

I think that gives a good idea of what is out there, in terms of earning ability. To be sure there are some really poorly paid tutoring companies based here in Phils. There is one I know of that pays a flat 100php an hour and that is taxed to boot! How an online company can survive paying those kinds of rubbish salaries I have no idea. The internet is the internet. Seek and ye shall find....a better paid job!

I hope the above is of use.

Old Sep 12th 2019, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

I have a correction to make regarding teacher qualification requirements at TutorABC.

The OP is quite correct when he states that teachers require a BA (or higher). My wife advised me that the Chinese government mandated in 2018 that all NEW teachers who will be teaching Chinese students should have that qualification. That only applies to teaching Chinese students so if your prospective company teaches nationals other than Chinese, then that restriction may not apply.

Sorry if my earlier post caused some confusion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.