British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Philippines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/)
-   -   Senior Citizen Cards (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/senior-citizen-cards-839291/)

Stokkevn Jul 23rd 2014 5:02 am

Senior Citizen Cards

About four years ago the government said that by the end of the year retirees from overseas would be entitled to get one of these cards.

I understand that they omitted to say end of which year, but has anyone heard of any further development in this matter.

mikemike Jul 23rd 2014 6:03 am

Re: Senior Citizen Cards

There is a new Bill sponsored by Rodriguez brothers in congress to extend this to all foreigners who are on permanent resident visas who qualify by age SRRV, 13a etc.

still on process

ramboyd Nov 25th 2014 11:51 am

I HAVE HAD MY SENIOR CITIZEN CARD FOR AROUND 9 MONTHS

Gazza-d Nov 25th 2014 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by ramboyd (Post 11483423)
I HAVE HAD MY SENIOR CITIZEN CARD FOR AROUND 9 MONTHS

And unless you are a Philippine citizen it is illegal, punishable by prison and deportation.

ramboyd Nov 25th 2014 4:14 pm

ok maybe you are right maybe it's just another scam by barangay officials to get money

ramboyd Nov 25th 2014 4:16 pm

where in Suffolk are you from Gazza-d, I am fro9m Peterborough,

Gazza-d Nov 25th 2014 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by ramboyd (Post 11483727)
where in Suffolk are you from Gazza-d, I am fro9m Peterborough,

Yes some officials will take your money. I'm in Haverhill, just SE of Cambridge.

mikemike Nov 25th 2014 11:54 pm

I saw a posting on the Retirement forum that they can get a senior citizen card by virtue of being resident, as opposed to being a citizen. They produced the relevant rule which confirms residency status as qualification as opposed to citizenry requirement. This was not a privilege for SRRV holders

quiltman Nov 26th 2014 8:33 am

Originally Posted by mikemike (Post 11484201)
I saw a posting on the Retirement forum that they can get a senior citizen card by virtue of being resident, as opposed to being a citizen. They produced the relevant rule which confirms residency status as qualification as opposed to citizenry requirement. This was not a privilege for SRRV holders

Have you got a link to this by any chance mikemike?

mikemike Nov 26th 2014 11:38 pm

Philippine Retirement Visa: my experience with the SRRV |

i 04.05.14 @ 12:42 pm
Republic Act No. 9994
AN ACT GRANTING ADDITIONAL BENEFITS AND PRIVILEGES TO
SENIOR CITIZENS, FURTHER AMENDING REPUBLIC ACT NO. 7432, AS
AMENDED, OTHERWISE KNOWN AS “AN ACT TO MAXIMIZE THE
CONTRIBUTION OF SENIOR CITIZENS TO NATION BUILDING, GRANT
BENEFITS AND SPECIAL PRIVILEGES AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES”

“(a) Senior citizen or elderly refers to any resident citizen of the Philippines at
least sixty (60) years old;

In saying that I do understand that there is a bill being sponsored by the Rodrigues brothers from Mindanao to extend senior citizen privileges to ALL permanent residents. Trouble is; legislation, even if already enacted, gets duplicate proposals presented as new bills as politicians here need to make names for themselves by publishing their activity whilst elected etc

quiltman Nov 27th 2014 12:11 am

Thanks mikemike.
Yes, it hinges on the words "resident citizen". to me that means what it says, BOTH a resident AND a citizen - so SRRV holders do not qualify until ( and unless) Congress change the law. They've been discussing this since at least 2009 to my knowledge!
However, many hotels, resorts etc have special prices for "residents'( notice NOT resident citizens) and I use my SRRV card to take advantage of these. It does mean sometimes having to explain in words of one syllable that I AM a resident , albeit not a Filippino citizen.

Had a meal in a certain hotel in the nivel hills just last week - special offer on tuesdays of 50% off for residents. The server had to get the manager to approve the discount once he saw my SRRV card, but no problem at all.
We had a weekend at one of the local resorts a couple of months ago , again using their "residents" offer for the room. Again, no problem.
Maybe they'll cotton on and change it to "resident citizens" :rofl:

mikemike Nov 27th 2014 4:22 am

Originally Posted by quiltman (Post 11485471)
Thanks mikemike.
Yes, it hinges on the words "resident citizen". to me that means what it says, BOTH a resident AND a citizen - so SRRV holders do not qualify until ( and unless) Congress change the law. They've been discussing this since at least 2009 to my knowledge!
However, many hotels, resorts etc have special prices for "residents'( notice NOT resident citizens) and I use my SRRV card to take advantage of these. It does mean sometimes having to explain in words of one syllable that I AM a resident , albeit not a Filippino citizen.

Had a meal in a certain hotel in the nivel hills just last week - special offer on tuesdays of 50% off for residents. The server had to get the manager to approve the discount once he saw my SRRV card, but no problem at all.
We had a weekend at one of the local resorts a couple of months ago , again using their "residents" offer for the room. Again, no problem.
Maybe they'll cotton on and change it to "resident citizens" :rofl:

Yes I have experienced that at hotels and was told it means pinoy only I challenged it and they announced no more vacancy!! happened with both my SRRV and then my 13a. Sometimes we are just destined not to be accepted

wayne42 Nov 27th 2014 8:04 am

Originally Posted by mikemike (Post 11485641)
Yes I have experienced that at hotels and was told it means pinoy only I challenged it and they announced no more vacancy!! happened with both my SRRV and then my 13a. Sometimes we are just destined not to be accepted

That`s because you are a millionaire by default..Like me.
Most "foreigners" are.
They will never understand why we would even ask for a discount!