Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Safety in the Philippines?

Safety in the Philippines?

Old Jun 22nd 2012, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Safety in the Philippines?

Originally Posted by shiredevon
It really is a joke as all these vehicles have so called emissions tests done annually, however all the tests are for in reality is to see if you qualify for paying a bribe coz no one ever fails hehe.
Toughest Place to be a Bus Driver
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Ht_19N8Uw

Good programme for those who haven't seen it. The BBC must have paid for a new set of tyres on the Jeepney, as the one in the programme must be the only one in Manila with tread on its tyres! - Even the spare!
Old Jun 28th 2012, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

britishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah that pollution is a killer (even in the smaller cities let alone Manila), I ate a frozen mango a day to keep my throat from getting infected otherwise I'd alway have an annoying cough.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by shiredevon
It really is a joke as all these vehicles have so called emissions tests done annually, however all the tests are for in reality is to see if you qualify for paying a bribe coz no one ever fails hehe.
Just like going to get your Driving Licence! - Office Boy gives the Urine Sample, you pay to hire a car for a test which never happens, and 'Hey-Presto' 2 Hours later you get a Driving Licence!
Old Jun 30th 2012, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

desert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nice

I had a proper medical, there was no driving test required as have a UK licence and the whole process was reasonably quick and painless.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by desert-rat
I had a proper medical, there was no driving test required as have a UK licence and the whole process was reasonably quick and painless.
I had to do mine with my UAE Licence. I do not have a UK Photocard Licence. The 90 Day limit was almost up too, so I had to resort to the more 'Unorthodox' route.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

AndyChud is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by desert-rat
I did mine a couple of years ago & had to do the theory test. I too have a UK license. At the time I applied, there was a tit-for-tat dispute going on between UK & Philippines. So many Filipinos had been failing their UK driving tests that the Philippine government decided to take revenge!
Old Jul 10th 2012, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

shiredevon is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTEI did mine a couple of years ago & had to do the theory test. I too have a UK license. At the time I applied, there was a tit-for-tat dispute going on between UK & Philippines. So many Filipinos had been failing their UK driving tests that the Philippine government decided to take revenge!][/QUOTE]

I really can't believe a single pinoy from here could ever pass a uk driving test, it's so intense now, i bet i'd fail if i took it again, for sure my driving standard has lowered dramatically.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

I think that you are all underestimating the amount of crime here, yesterday there was a mall shooting and many people were hurt in the stampede to get away. There are security checks everywhere, shopping malls, LRT stations. It is like America, you have the right to carry a gun, which, of course, means anyone can kill you in an instant.
At each LRT station there is a photo display of known pickpockets, I would say one third of them are female, so the advice about choosing the lady carriage is very poor.
Filipinos are like carabous, normally they are warm hearted and friendly, work hard, but they easily anger and may kill you if they are angry.
In Manila, you must take care and look around you, ALL THE TIME. The people who call taxis for you in the street are not doing it to help a foreigner, they expect a small tip. Who knows what they may do if you do not pay them.
You read many articles about corruption, the rich elite get away with murder here, if you are an eco warrior fighting against big business, you will not see your grandchildren, that's for sure. The whole system is rotten to the core,'never report anyone with clout to the police, you will go to jail'yourself.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

desert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nice

How is the LRT system in Palawan? Is it running on time?
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Palawan LRT pulled by carabao and they run on Filipino time.
( couldn't think of anything witty about the acronyms, but tried a little).
Ah you are using my answers, against me, well done, clever, rat.

But I have to escape regularly to Manila and beyond, always using a money belt. I find Manila stimulating but scary,'don't you?

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Aug 22nd 2012 at 11:09 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

No have never really found Manila scarey. Polluted yes but certainly no more dangerous than many capital cities.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

I pass through Manila evrry 2 months, how about you? Do you walk along the streets ? Would you at night? Palawan is very peaceful, I feel very safe here, despite a break in , my first week and incidents that I have already described.
Don't feel like revealing anything else about me, in case u use it against me again, crafty rat. Girlfriend's daughter had laptop stolen in Manila yesterday, but I think it was more a case of not taking care of it

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Aug 22nd 2012 at 12:37 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

From a Previous Post . . .

Keep away from Filinvest East (Marcos Highway, Barangay Mayamot)! Nice Middle Class Area in a 'Gated Ghetto!' - Security and Management are so 'Corrupt' it is beyond belief! - It makes Nigeria and Iraq look like a 'Sunday School Outing!'

Last week a neighbour of ours was shot in the head (Unfortunately, this was not fatal, as they missed the Dogs who bark all day long!) However, it was never recorded by the Estate Security, Barangay, or Police. Eventually, the Police carried out an investigation, and concluded that "He Fell Down the Stairs Guv!" - This despite the fact that there was Blood everywhere!

The Family concerned took the poor man to hospital in a Toyota Hiace with heavily tinted windows. They were not challenged at the gate! - Neither on the way out nor on the way back in, despite Blood being evident draining from the vehicle!

The Philippines needs to get its Gun Laws sorted out! - And not ride on the back of the American Second Amedment!
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
I pass through Manila evrry 2 months, how about you? Do you walk along the streets ? Would you at night? Palawan is very peaceful, I feel very safe here, despite a break in , my first week and incidents that I have already described.
Don't feel like revealing anything else about me, in case u use it against me again, crafty rat. Girlfriend's daughter had laptop stolen in Manila yesterday, but I think it was more a case of not taking care of it
Havent been to Manila for 5 months but spent a lot of time there in years gone by. Walked by day and night with no problems. I found Belfast a lot more scarey.
Its all relative though sprout. If a person is nervous and frightened then they show it and bring attention on themselves. More attention makes them more scared and nervous. Just as animals can sense fear then so can humans.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the link about "toughest place in the world to be bus driver", when you live in Philippines you get used to all TV being so bad, bad but entertaining, I call it filipine TV idiocracy.

I proceeded to watch the whole "toughest place" series on YouTube, they were all brilliant and moving, one thing that struck me was all the men working 18 hours a day to "provide" for their families, and the wife remained in the house with her mother in law watching TV all day. Stupid disposable men, sacrificing themselves for women. Men are beginning to wake up to how we are treated though finally.

The programme certainly made the Manila streets to look scary to drive on.

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Aug 23rd 2012 at 1:12 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.