British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Philippines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/)
-   -   Safety in the Philippines? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/safety-philippines-733342/)

MaggieMc Sep 23rd 2011 4:19 am

Safety in the Philippines?

Hi There,

I am a Danish girl currently living in Australia with my Aussie/Welsh partner. My partner's company is about to set up an outsource center in the Philippines and my partner has been chosen to be the manager of this operation.

Neither of us have been to the Philippines and though some "google" readings makes me excited, there are also numerous posting which makes me hesitant. E.g. http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-c...ce/philippines with all of their safety warnings.
So one question is: Is it really that dangerous? The site mentions all of these public places and even expat housing complexes as dangerous areas. So is the site just being overcautious?? or is the risk of being in for instance Manila really that high?

Another question would be regarding vaccinations. We will probably go on a "look&see" soonish so do we need to sort out standard travel vaccinations?

These are my questions for now - might seek more practical advice later on, but these are my two major concerns.

Thanks

bakedbean Sep 24th 2011 3:43 am

Re: Safety in the Philippines?

Hi Maggie, just to say hello and welcome to BE. I'm not in the 'Peens so cannot help you out, but I'm sure someone will be along soon with some answers.

tropicofcancer Sep 25th 2011 6:47 am

You need no compulsory vaccinations.
Obviously anywhere in the world, you only need be in the wrong place, with the wrong person. However I feel safer in the Philippines than I do in UK. Now Mindanao yes extreme caution there. Heed the advice.

SM sells a lot of Australian produce. It is a Super Mall.

Outside of the big stores watch out for prices. Especially in nightspots, where they often have different price-lists, depending on if you are a local, from the provinces or a foreigner. Stated in ascending order of cost.:(
In many places a coke or orange juice, is classed as a "ladies drink." At a very high price.

Remember "napaka mahal" (very expensive.

tropicofcancer Sep 25th 2011 7:18 am

Back from some daddy duty involving a bicycle. :)

The Filipinos as a race are warm, friendly, and hospitable; but obviously there are a few bad apples. No doubt your husband will become friendly with some of the local workers, who will be only too pleased to help him. Whatever you need, they will always know someone who can. Who is honest and reliable. Usually one of their relatives. Else they can negotiate on your behalf.
Manila/Quezon are not representative, of the Philippines as a whole. I think no capital city in the world, is a true representation, of the country, they are in.
Remember you will have to apply for an Alien ID card, if you stay longer than six months. Cost $US50 or peso equivalent. You must also register with BI in the first sixty days of a new year. Easy when you have your ID. It is biometric and has your fingerprints recorded. Plus a left facial profile. There are a lot of concessions for businesses employing Filipinos. You will find out at the Bureau Of Immigration. Speaking for the one at Cebu, they are fast efficient and first class.
Driving licence. You can use your foreign one for ninety days, after which you apply for a Filipino one. It will cost under P1000. SM have an LTO office. A one stop shop. Your first licence takes a little longer, and they issue against your foreign licence. You have a drugs test, sample in a bottle, eye test, a chat with the medic. For my first I had to get a certificate of residence from the town hall, certified by the mayor, and chief of police. The licence lasts three years, and is due for renewal on your birthday, or before.

MaggieMc Sep 29th 2011 4:33 am

Thank you for the response, Tropicofcancer and thank you for the welcome bakedbean.

I guess the best option is for us to wait for my partners work to make the final decision so we can go on a "look&see".

Might be back with more questions once more decisions have been made.

Cheers

nonthaburi Sep 29th 2011 5:58 am

Don't get up to anything you wouldn't do at home and I'm sure you will be fine.

ianinmalaysia Oct 4th 2011 5:26 am

Hi,

Iver just returned from my first visit to Philippines and found it to be perfectly safe and very welcoming.Im sure some folks will have experienced differently but if the old adage of " use common sense at all times and dont put yourself in ther wrong place at the wrong time' is followed then i honestly dont see any issues.
I was in Davao/Mindanao which is totaly safe, any further south though and i think you have to be very careful.Davao was great and i also stayed at Samal Island which was a great experience, plenty of poverty but i was out amongst everything with my partner (Filipina) and had no probs at all. Im heading back there very soon to have a look around Bohol and really cant wait.

cheers

MaggieMc Oct 6th 2011 2:14 am

Hi ianinmalaysia,

That sounds good. I guess the best thing is to go and see for myself like you did. Hopefully my partners company will start the process soon instead of just having the chats in the boardroom.

Can't wait to go and see and start the actual planning.
Good luck with your travels.

MaggieMc Dec 21st 2011 4:26 am

Well, here we go.
After considerations of whether the company should outsource to other countries (mainly Eastern European) we now have tickets to visit Manila for a "look see" in January. So now I get to go check everything out, while the "gentlemen" will be discussing business.

As we don't (currently) have kids to cater for, I am not yet sure what to look for other than whether I like the "atmosphere".

Did you do a 'look see' before moving and what did you look for?

shiredevon Jun 20th 2012 2:08 am

The best advice is don't carry anything you don't want stolen, criminals here aren't particularly brave, so mostly you get robbed by stealth,

If you go on the LRT, travel in the ladies section in the front, take your partners wallet with you, you'd be amazed how proficient they are at taking your purse or wallet,

Same goes for shopping in places like Divisoria, if your foreign you attract thieves like a magnate, they will follow you until they see they're chance,

Don't wear gold as they'll snatch it off your neck or ears then vanish into the crowds,

So to summarise don't make yourself a target and you'll be ok.

MaggieMc Jun 20th 2012 2:14 am

Thank you. We have now been in Manila for about 2 months. We feel quite safe and have not yet been in any unsafe situations. So all is good. The only slight unsafe situations have been scammers trying their luck...

I guess, it is impossible to know and understand the culture and the level of risks/safety until you are here.:)

jackthehat Jun 20th 2012 10:27 am

Originally Posted by MaggieMc (Post 10128449)
Thank you. We have now been in Manila for about 2 months. We feel quite safe and have not yet been in any unsafe situations. So all is good. The only slight unsafe situations have been scammers trying their luck...

I guess, it is impossible to know and understand the culture and the level of risks/safety until you are here.:)

How true, it's all about taking things in your stride! - Frustrations at work, Fixers, Irrelevant Paperwork (Bureaucracy is worse than India!), etc., etc.

Extreme Jun 20th 2012 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by MaggieMc (Post 10128449)

How's the pollution? I'm thinking especially of the air quality. I have only driven through Manila, never really stayed there. It seemed to me as if the air quality could be pretty bad in certain areas.

Stay safe!

jackthehat Jun 21st 2012 2:11 am

Originally Posted by Extreme (Post 10129738)
How's the pollution? I'm thinking especially of the air quality. I have only driven through Manila, never really stayed there. It seemed to me as if the air quality could be pretty bad in certain areas.

Stay safe!

Air Quality is a big problem in Manila, which seems to get worse as the humidity rises. I have recently moved to Antipolo, which is much higher above sea level. Air quality is good, and the temperature is a few degrees cooler.

Antipolo banned the use of Plastic Supermarket Carriers last year, as an 'Environmental Issue.' However, there is still a huge problem with Smoke Belching Jeepneys, Tricycles, and Trucks; which appears to go unenforced. Trucks especially tend to be overloaded by at least 50% and of course are fitted with Bald Tyres, just like the Jeepneys.

My regular trip from Antipolo to Masinag takes about thrity minutes by car. On Monday it took over two hours, as the road looked like the aftermath of a 'Destruction Derby' following heavy rain. Trucks in Ditches, and Overturned Jeepneys. They all shared the same problem - Bald Tyres!

Those from the UK might be amused to see ASBO Officers in Mandaluyong (Anti-Smoke Belching Officer).

shiredevon Jun 21st 2012 11:22 pm

It really is a joke as all these vehicles have so called emissions tests done annually, however all the tests are for in reality is to see if you qualify for paying a bribe coz no one ever fails hehe.