The Rise and Fall of GBP

Old Sep 25th 2022, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Rise and Fall of GBP

Cooking oil has gone up 50% here all in a blink of an eye.

getting to the point that a balikbayan box is more of a regular item then a one off luxury, depending what you put in it
Old Sep 25th 2022, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike

getting to the point that a balikbayan box is more of a regular item then a one off luxury, depending what you put in it
You might be right, just spotted the pound at P61.6
Old Sep 25th 2022, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

Think the pound will continue to do poorly until the markets see the full measures. And they would like an official report on the implications of the proposed unfunded tax cuts. If that comes out to be even more negative a further slide might then occur. The government not allowing it so far and that is why..In that phrase of Corporal Jones in Dad's Army...they don't like it, they don't like it...but in this case not up'em but down 'em!

Last edited by Raffin; Sep 25th 2022 at 2:51 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2022, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

We often BB box staples here that are either not available or eye wateringly expensive. We have sent 10 boxes from our last trip to the UK Bottles of olive oil, tinned peas and carrots, the local stuff is like chewing bullets, Muslie, Heinz beans, squash ( cordial) spam, fray bentos pies, sugar free jam, tea bags, coffee, canbarel, even 10kg of basmati rice. And of course Marmite.
Old Sep 25th 2022, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
We often BB box staples here that are either not available or eye wateringly expensive. We have sent 10 boxes from our last trip to the UK Bottles of olive oil, tinned peas and carrots, the local stuff is like chewing bullets, Muslie, Heinz beans, squash ( cordial) spam, fray bentos pies, sugar free jam, tea bags, coffee, canbarel, even 10kg of basmati rice. And of course Marmite.
Coles from australia are now in SM I got 50 earl grey tea bags at at almost half the price of the 30 in a box twinnings Plus other items in their range are appearing, perhaps vegemite soon?. Who did you use to send 10 boxes?
Old Sep 25th 2022, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Coles from australia are now in SM I got 50 earl grey tea bags at at almost half the price of the 30 in a box twinnings Plus other items in their range are appearing, perhaps vegemite soon?. Who did you use to send 10 boxes?
Yes Tesco is also in SM. A 1kg bag of Tesco basic muslei is about 400pesos, A 1.5kg bag of Audi muslie is about 90 pesos. Marmite from Shoppee is again about 400 pesos, again about 90 pesos in the UK. Heinz beans if you can find them 180-200 pesos a tin, about 45 pesos in the UK. Tea bags, 240 bags of pg tips about 200 pesos. The Basmati rice is about 2/3 the Philippines price and that's Tilda rice.
We use a local UK company called Balikbayan boxes UK. A standard box is about £70 but we get 3 for £170., a jumbo £140.
Old Oct 1st 2022, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

freebie is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting post re prices from Gazza-d. Was in England for past 6 weeks ( first trip in 4-5 years ) and shopped several times in various Sainsburys.... all were actually good experiences with pleasant staff.
Granola.. half the price of here, Gilletee shave foam, much cheaper than here. Fruits and veggies cheaper than here ( tho no kangkung in UK !). Mushrooms , huge variety in UK and prices were very low. Cheeses... I was in heaven...half the price of here with a great variety. Beer and wine , maybe about same price. Overal I would imagine a " shop" there would be not too much different to a shop here. Plus the benefit of favourites such as Branny pickle, Oxos , and a much greater variety of choice. etc etc. Obviously Health care UK is better but seems NHS is broken. Happy I have good medical insurance.
Cars and gas obviously much cheaper here. I asked about price of cigarettes as I dont smoke but was curious... OMG. lady told me varied between 13 to 18 pounds a pack !
And for a man who hates having to stand in line and wait and wait at my local SM Supermarket which never has enough cashiers, having self checkout was excellent. Always worked brilliantly, fast easy simple whether paying with card or cash.
Old Oct 1st 2022, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebie
Interesting post re prices from Gazza-d. Was in England for past 6 weeks ( first trip in 4-5 years ) and shopped several times in various Sainsburys.... all were actually good experiences with pleasant staff.
Granola.. half the price of here, Gilletee shave foam, much cheaper than here. Fruits and veggies cheaper than here ( tho no kangkung in UK !). Mushrooms , huge variety in UK and prices were very low. Cheeses... I was in heaven...half the price of here with a great variety. Beer and wine , maybe about same price. Overal I would imagine a " shop" there would be not too much different to a shop here. Plus the benefit of favourites such as Branny pickle, Oxos , and a much greater variety of choice. etc etc. Obviously Health care UK is better but seems NHS is broken. Happy I have good medical insurance.
Cars and gas obviously much cheaper here. I asked about price of cigarettes as I dont smoke but was curious... OMG. lady told me varied between 13 to 18 pounds a pack !
And for a man who hates having to stand in line and wait and wait at my local SM Supermarket which never has enough cashiers, having self checkout was excellent. Always worked brilliantly, fast easy simple whether paying with card or cash.
I got bored the other day and did an imaginary shop of items that I knew the price of here most from our local wet market and a couple of items from supermarket in town. 2 kg chicken & potatoes, 1kg onions & carrots, 1 ltr milk, tray of eggs, loaf of bread and a tub of butter - cost P1,511, went on line for Asda and the same came to £14.72 or P966.
Old Oct 1st 2022, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
I got bored the other day and did an imaginary shop of items that I knew the price of here most from our local wet market and a couple of items from supermarket in town. 2 kg chicken & potatoes, 1kg onions & carrots, 1 ltr milk, tray of eggs, loaf of bread and a tub of butter - cost P1,511, went on line for Asda and the same came to £14.72 or P966.
And go to Aldi or Lidl and you could save another 10-15%. We did our monthly shop today and a 200g Heinz catchup was $3.75, UK wouldn't be much over $1.50. My weakness is for Maltesers, a family pack, and no they are not for sharing, was $7.50. In UK about $2.00. I also like Piyaya. In May before we went home they were about 80 pesos a packet, they are now 107 pesos and they have got smaller.
​​​​​​
Old Oct 2nd 2022, 6:53 am
Just Joined

Wade Burns is an unknown quantity at this point

i have to transfer gbp to usd to pay people and now its costing almost 40% more just in the past year !
Old Oct 5th 2022, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yesterday morning I got 67.2 when I transferred some sterling, then came Truss's speech and 24 hours later it is back down to 66.24.
Old Oct 6th 2022, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

I have a problem when people start panicking about the inevitable decline of the GBP. UK GDP growth is on average 1,5% p.a. In the Philippines at least 5%.p.a . Let common sense prevail.
Old Oct 25th 2022, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

The GBP has risen from the dead.
Old Oct 25th 2022, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bealinehx
The GBP has risen from the dead.
As Liz Truss said at the end of her parting speech outside No 10..."Brighter days lie ahead".
Old Oct 25th 2022, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Raffin
As Liz Truss said at the end of her parting speech outside No 10..."Brighter days lie ahead".
If you closely examine the pound lately, it was pottering along at about 66.8 then Truss resigned and it went up to 67.3, Boris said he was coming home to fight for the job it went down to 65.8 now Sunak has been confirmed 67.4.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.