The Rise and Fall of GBP

Old Sep 23rd 2022, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Rise and Fall of GBP

Originally Posted by Raffin
Unfortunately doing the reverse. P65 today. The Ph Peso doing badly too, but more due to US events than domestic ones. Whereas the Pound is being hit both externally and through worried perceptions of the effect of its abrupt change in economic policy .One generally seen as risky by the markets.
Just seen P63.8 this morning.
Old Sep 23rd 2022, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Time for a thread title change

''The fall and fall of GBP''

if you are looking to sell up and go back to the Uk, wait a while and max out
Old Sep 23rd 2022, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

Why go back to the UK?
Old Sep 23rd 2022, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bealinehx
Why go back to the UK?
i said ....... If
Old Sep 23rd 2022, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Soon it will be too expensive to live here.
Old Sep 24th 2022, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

Not nearly as expensive as the EU and UK.
Regarding the sliding Pound Sterling. How many times during the last 10 years have we seen it slide and then slowly recover. The economic indicators during the first quarter of next year will be the acid test.
Old Sep 24th 2022, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

Not nearly as expensive as the EU and UK.
Regarding the sliding Pound Sterling. How many times during the last 10 years have we seen it slide and then slowly recover. The economic indicators during the first quarter of next year will be the acid test.
Three main long slides then as you say recoveries which are getting slower.

Old Sep 24th 2022, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Not nearly as expensive as the EU and UK..
Having just came back from spending 15 weeks in the UK I beg to differ. Supermarket living is getting expensive here.
Old Sep 24th 2022, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
Having just came back from spending 15 weeks in the UK I beg to differ. Supermarket living is getting expensive here.
I'm amazed with what you are saying about grocery shopping here.and there. Last time I visited the UK a few years ago the cost of a trolley load of ordinary groceries at a mid price Tesco level type supermarket was very noticeably much higher than here at a similar level grocery, at least double I would guess.. A rough assessment because some products are of different quality and you buy differently eg here I tend to avoid most imported items. But of that order.
Yes, you can get more for you money at an Aldi. That's more difficult to compare with here as often they are not places you want to shop in here. But I don't think it would change the difference much.
Then lately UK food prices have gone up officially by about 12% in the past year Here the official yearly rise is about 6%.
If you include less regularly bought products eg electrical goods it may be a more favourable picture. But you definitely get a lot more for your weekly grocery shop here.

Last edited by Raffin; Sep 24th 2022 at 8:23 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2022, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm amazed with what you are saying about grocery shopping here.and there. Last time I visited the UK a few years ago the cost of a trolley load of ordinary groceries at a mid price Tesco level type supermarket was very noticeably much higher than here at a similar level grocery, at least double I would guess.. A rough assessment because some products are of different quality and you buy differently eg here I tend to avoid most imported items. But of that order.
Yes, you can get more for you money at an Aldi. That's more difficult to compare with here as often they are not places you want to shop in here. But I don't think it would change the difference much.
Then lately UK food prices have gone up officially by about 12% in the past year Here the official yearly rise is about 6%.
If you include less regularly bought products eg electrical goods it may be a more favourable picture. But you definitely get a lot more for your weekly grocery shop here.
We regularly shop in Royal Dutyfree SBMA and the difference between when we left and returned was significant, some items up a good 20%. Cost of living here is offset by housing costs and fuel etc but the Philippines is not the cheap destination that it was 20 years ago. And for inflation being 6%, they must use the same mathematician that collates the covid results.
Old Sep 24th 2022, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Agree entirely, but then if you buy imported groceries from the UK etc then you can expect to pay more.
Old Sep 24th 2022, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Philosophical 11
Agree entirely, but then if you buy imported groceries from the UK etc then you can expect to pay more.
46% of the food in the UK is imported, the big difference is it not considered exotic with a significant premium added.
Old Sep 24th 2022, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Why not shop local rather a seemingly upmarket Royal Duty Free
Old Sep 24th 2022, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
And for inflation being 6%, they must use the same mathematician that collates the covid results.
Correct with the inflation , it is not calculated it is just what the president tells them to say.

As for some products sugar here is P102 a kilo in Asda it is 67p or P42, so less than half, even rice is cheaper in the UK supermarkets. The high price of sugar has already trickled down to fizzy drinks, local shop keeper was telling me that it had gone from P260 a case to P310 and was expecting it to go up again soon. Two coke factories have shut in WV and I don't suppose it will be long before it is being imported from Thailand. Whole chicken here is P210 a kilo, just seen in Asda £2.07 or P132, per kilo today I paid P180 per kilo for red onions again in Asda 75p or P48 and most other veg roughly the same difference.
Old Sep 24th 2022, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you choose to live in a country you have to take the rough with the smooth. Many foreigners living here think that life is all peaches and cream. Well it is not.
The choice is always yours. Take it or leave it.
The world is going through a period similar to the 1970's ( certainly in the UK). There is one common factor increased energy prices. In the 1970's the driver was OPEC, today it is Putin and Ukraine. I wonder if anyone has thought that Putin is not so stupid after all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.