British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Philippines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/)
-   -   Requesting a OMB for a imported pc (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/requesting-omb-imported-pc-932821/)

javsezlol May 23rd 2020 3:05 am

Requesting a OMB for a imported pc

Hi,
So a friend of mine in tge US was kind enough to buy me a brand new pc and payed for it to be shipped her ect.
It has now landed in pasay and is stuck in clearance. So we rang up asked whats the hold up the the said its all good they just where missing some contact information which we provided.
The next day still hasnt moved so we rang again, this time the said we need a OMB clearance.. Which we cant get as all offices are closed... I was then told write a letter explaining why i cant get the OMB (even though he should be fully aware manila is in lockdown). Not only that but im not running a business nor do either the ssd nor the hdd have any content on them. Im getting super frustrated as aparantley longer than 7 days to resolve the issue they can cease the goods. (its a $3000+ pc)

Im not to sure what to do and i cant find any information on how u apply for a omb as a foreign national all the forms ask for business names ect and there isnt any... Btw im ona a tourist visa and ive been here almost 3years thanks

nonthaburi May 23rd 2020 5:54 am

Re: Requesting a OMB for a imported pc

Are they looking for a payment to smooth the process?

javsezlol May 23rd 2020 6:01 am

Not at the moment as we will find out on monday now if they accept although i assume theyre closed for the holiday. Its coming via fedex so we are in contact with them but it just seems like alot of nonsense... If we did have to line they're pockets abit at this point i would mind as long as its not a ridiculous amount. I wont hear anything from them until mon/tuesday now... Which is annoying as when it was in china it was held in customs and we where told they're checking it to make sure its all okay to enter the Philippines so it wont be stopped at customs here. I dont know if theyre trying to screw me or if theyre genuinely just following procedures.

javsezlol May 23rd 2020 11:11 am

Also to just clarify there are no CD's DVD's OR Optical drives in the package there is only 1 Blank HDD and 1 Blank SSD

Philosophical 11 May 23rd 2020 11:19 am

Originally Posted by javsezlol (Post 12856757)
Hi,
So a friend of mine in tge US was kind enough to buy me a brand new pc and payed for it to be shipped her ect.
It has now landed in pasay and is stuck in clearance. So we rang up asked whats the hold up the the said its all good they just where missing some contact information which we provided.
The next day still hasnt moved so we rang again, this time the said we need a OMB clearance.. Which we cant get as all offices are closed... I was then told write a letter explaining why i cant get the OMB (even though he should be fully aware manila is in lockdown). Not only that but im not running a business nor do either the ssd nor the hdd have any content on them. Im getting super frustrated as aparantley longer than 7 days to resolve the issue they can cease the goods. (its a $3000+ pc)

Im not to sure what to do and i cant find any information on how u apply for a omb as a foreign national all the forms ask for business names ect and there isnt any... Btw im ona a tourist visa and ive been here almost 3years thanks

What's an OMB? Sounds like some one is trying to screw you bearing in mind the price of the pc. Monday is a public holiday as you have inferred... Contact them again and if you are not satisfied then tell them they will be reported to 8888...that will focus their mind. Do not pay them one centavo unless they can prove to you that it is a government requirement...

Best of luck

javsezlol May 23rd 2020 11:27 am

yes all i saw was about optical media the thing is i havent had direct contact with the im contacting Fedex who are telling this but not a single person seems to be updating or contacting us via email .... i managed to find this https://omb.gov.ph/wp-content/upload...RA-9239002.pdf but these seems to apply for business not just a person receiving a package as a gift. We where warned about government seizing packages if things are left for longer than 7 days. the lady at fedex has sent an email to to the inspector.. but wont be sorted til monday. no one has said i owe any money or anything like that but i dont trust filipinos the average joe is fine but being here every tom dick and harry is trying to rob you somehow

David Mashael May 26th 2020 12:02 pm

No doubt that you will be required to pay import duty, taxes etc. Don't be surprised if that is equal to the value of the pc. A friend of mine, whilst back on holiday in UK, sent a suitcase full of stuff back here to himself. It was nothing special, some smellies, small gift items etc., but it would have made his baggage over weight so he sent it back via FedEx. Customs here wanted more than the value of the stuff he sent, so he finished up telling them to keep it. Why on earth did you go down that route? Surely common sense tells you that you're going to be hit by customs. Either buy locally or via Amazon, where the customs duty is factored into the price.

javsezlol May 26th 2020 12:49 pm

Its

javsezlol May 26th 2020 12:50 pm

Its suppossedly tax free via myus.com... We have insured it and everything.. Im slowly getting somewhere i should know tomorrow whats going on...

javsezlol May 26th 2020 12:51 pm

We also had no choice but to import non of those parts where available here

nonthaburi May 26th 2020 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by David Mashael (Post 12858023)
No doubt that you will be required to pay import duty, taxes etc. Don't be surprised if that is equal to the value of the pc. A friend of mine, whilst back on holiday in UK, sent a suitcase full of stuff back here to himself. It was nothing special, some smellies, small gift items etc., but it would have made his baggage over weight so he sent it back via FedEx. Customs here wanted more than the value of the stuff he sent, so he finished up telling them to keep it. Why on earth did you go down that route? Surely common sense tells you that you're going to be hit by customs. Either buy locally or via Amazon, where the customs duty is factored into the price.

Is there a difference if you just use regular mail, as in things won't get stopped?

bestvue May 26th 2020 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 12858053)
Is there a difference if you just use regular mail, as in things won't get stopped?

regular mail. Almost guaranteed not to arrive. LOL.

javsezlol May 26th 2020 1:54 pm

Yea ive had a bad experience with postal here...

nonthaburi May 26th 2020 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by bestvue (Post 12858070)
regular mail. Almost guaranteed not to arrive. LOL.

Even if it's a recorded delivery regular mail?

If so, that sucks. You're forced to use expensive courier services.

Bealinehx May 26th 2020 10:01 pm

Yes thats the reality of the country where It's More Fun !