Rain

Old Jul 21st 2018, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

mikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rain

This is our second year full time in the Philippines, although we have been vacationing here for 20 odd years (usually December). Last year we noted there was hardly any rain in the so called rainy season, so it has become quite a shock to witness the deluge of rain over the last week.Naturaly my Filipino wife knows what to expect, however we are almost Marrooned in our sub division.
The Sub division is built on high ground and has a good drainage system, hence no flooding. The problem being all the roads surrounding the division are flooded, makinig even a trip to the supermarket virtuly impossible. We have 2 vehicles, a normal car, and 4 x 4 SUV. The normal car strands no chance of negotiating the flooded roads, and the SUV would be risky due to unseen potholes, and hidden deep water.
I am hoping that the rain Will ease off, although the weather forcaste indicates the very opposite. Would appreciate the experiences of expats.
Old Jul 21st 2018, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rain

Originally Posted by mikek1
This is our second year full time in the Philippines, although we have been vacationing here for 20 odd years (usually December). Last year we noted there was hardly any rain in the so called rainy season, so it has become quite a shock to witness the deluge of rain over the last week.Naturaly my Filipino wife knows what to expect, however we are almost Marrooned in our sub division.
The Sub division is built on high ground and has a good drainage system, hence no flooding. The problem being all the roads surrounding the division are flooded, makinig even a trip to the supermarket virtuly impossible. We have 2 vehicles, a normal car, and 4 x 4 SUV. The normal car strands no chance of negotiating the flooded roads, and the SUV would be risky due to unseen potholes, and hidden deep water.
I am hoping that the rain Will ease off, although the weather forcaste indicates the very opposite. Would appreciate the experiences of expats.
There are two main seasons wet ( where it rains every day ) and dry ( when it rains about 3 times a week ) but it can change by 100%.

The first dry season I was here it did not rain for over two months and temperatures climbed to 40+ Deg C, most of the local water wells dried up, even ours which is 70 feet deep struggled a bit, we could only put the pump on for 10 minutes before it ran out of water, then had to wait an hour before repeating it. Last wet season, just before Xmas the forecast showed we were going to get 1,150mm rain in 3 days, luckily we got just under 800mm, but the village was under water for several days after as the water came off the mountains. The only certain thing about the weather here is that there will be weather all over the country and most of the time it is quite nice.
Old Jul 21st 2018, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

For the last few years we have had the El Nino affect where the warmer western pacific has held up the Sw monsoon so that Palawan got wet but the rest of the islands were hot and dry. Indeed the SE trade winds would spawn some decent sized typhoons, such as Yolanda because of the heat.

This year is the first La Nina event that I can remember that has been so cool and wet. The typhoons forming are more of a tropical storm, wet not so windy. This makes them linger so it gets wetter. La Nina enhances the sw monsoon so we all get that water as well.

My power bill is half of what it was for this month last year. Sadly No savings. !(

We have discovered roof leaks that we never knew about So I have been '' upaloft'' with 'vulca seal' and other sealants dodging lightening. Amazing what you find when you do this. Sealant put down over 10 years ago has weathered and is now replaced. Our neighbours firewall abutting our rear double story wall has collapsed allowing water to flood between both walls. Explains why our sala wall is showing signs of damp and paint bubbles . So I have a tub of water proof cement waiting to be mixed and poured into the gap We should be watertight again.

The drains are showing little capacity to deal with much more heavy rain the soil is getting saturated. Thankfully we too are higher up the slope

A few years ago the subdivision had a well supplying the water tank supplying the houses. that is gone and we are supplied by Manilyad.

I suspect the ground water supply to deep aquifers is starting to refill. Another few years of this and they may be restored, no bad thing.
Old Jul 21st 2018, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikek1
Where is that Mike? Nice and sunny in Davao.........famous last words!!
Old Jul 21st 2018, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

we are in NCR
Old Jul 21st 2018, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have never before seen this area so active for serious storms

West Pacific Tropical Products Page - Satellite Services Division - Office of Satellite Data Processing and Distribution
Old Jul 24th 2018, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Just got back from a little over a week on Negros and through Manila. I've been in storms before but the fast moving wall of water that went over last week was something to behold. One minute dry and sunny, the next such a sudden start to the torrent that it made me jump. Nothing gradual about the start of it, for sure. Luckily well drained there.
Old Jul 29th 2018, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone have a link to a good weather forecast site ( not PAGASA ), the ones I use seem to have deteriorated into total guess work, even for the following 4 hrs.
Old Aug 13th 2018, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Still wet, grey and breezy, over two months without air con at this time of year is unheard of here. Another cheap power bill on the horizon. Wish it could be La Nina every year.
Old Aug 16th 2018, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point

Still having to water the flowers here in Davao.
Old Sep 11th 2018, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well the typhoon coming in a straight line is looking like it will hit southern luzon. My wife and her father said no it will not. i showed them this

https://earth.nullschool.net/#curren...=138.114,9.459

They sighed they had not received a text from the DMC and they always text if there is a problem. I asked who advise the DMC and who are they?

Pagasa advises them as they are the department for Disaster and Management Control

ah I see, the same group who manged at leyte for typhoon Yolanda, how did that go? sulky silence. Her dad took another look at the site page I just shared and asked when the winds go north as that is why we will not have a problem

I told him we were told that 2 days ago and the storm has dropped WSW and no sign of northern movement.

Ok i get prepared he says. I saw him across at the small grocers getting a case of red horse....looks like a typhoon party at our place if we survive it.

As for the storm there is no indication of any northern movement and it dragged in a low pressure area off Leyte into its maw, at the same time it adjusted its direction to WSW. The webpage shows where the winds are being drawn in from, as far away as Indonesia. this is going to be MONSTER. Winds reported at 250mph NOT KPH.

If, unlike me you have any hair now is the time to consider tying it down.
Old Sep 11th 2018, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikemike
Well the typhoon coming in a straight line is looking like it will hit southern luzon. My wife and her father said no it will not. i showed them this

They sighed they had not received a text from the DMC and they always text if there is a problem. I asked who advise the DMC and who are they?

Pagasa advises them as they are the department for Disaster and Management Control

ah I see, the same group who manged at leyte for typhoon Yolanda, how did that go? sulky silence. Her dad took another look at the site page I just shared and asked when the winds go north as that is why we will not have a problem

I told him we were told that 2 days ago and the storm has dropped WSW and no sign of northern movement.

Ok i get prepared he says. I saw him across at the small grocers getting a case of red horse....looks like a typhoon party at our place if we survive it.

As for the storm there is no indication of any northern movement and it dragged in a low pressure area off Leyte into its maw, at the same time it adjusted its direction to WSW. The webpage shows where the winds are being drawn in from, as far away as Indonesia. this is going to be MONSTER. Winds reported at 250mph NOT KPH.

If, unlike me you have any hair now is the time to consider tying it down.
Your link is now showing that the direction is 235 deg ( NNW at nearly 40km/h ) so may bounce the top end which is about the same as the one that I use ( Joint Typhoon Warning Center (JTWC) ).

Your father in law has the right idea, there will be plenty of water around but beer comes in bottles.
Old Sep 12th 2018, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

ChrisKVie is an unknown quantity at this point

latest tracking from Typhoon 2000 site
Old Sep 12th 2018, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

I cannot see any wind shear, north, south or due west as there are no weather systems to induce such.

Usually the presence of another weather system can cause an attraction that would encourage deviation from present course. This storm moves slightly south, then back to original track, yet not committed to moving north, just yet. I understand the DMC are now active for the eastern Luzon seaboard with more focus on the northern Luzon section.

Our extra drinking water and cooking gas just arrived.

If this storm does not start to deviate north by 8pm/20.00 then it will have to take a significant turn to the right at the last moment to not be a serious problem.

Old Sep 13th 2018, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

mikemike,

I find your link very interesting. However, there appears to be no time or date showing. Perhaps its "live"?

Regards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.