British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Philippines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/)
-   -   Plug adaptor UK to Philippines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/plug-adaptor-uk-philippines-942745/)

Boltonbuddy Feb 11th 2022 8:31 am

Plug adaptor UK to Philippines

Hi, now the Philippines are open, I'm looking forward to coming out. Could anyone explain what type of adaptor I would need for small electric items ie shaver, toothbrush and phone.
UK 3 pin plug to use in Philippines.
TIA

skippyscage Feb 11th 2022 9:15 am

Re: Plug adaptor UK to Philippines

same as the US 2 flat pin - most adapters these days can cope with any country as they have multiple holes

Raffin Feb 11th 2022 8:24 pm

I have some simple adapters saying "use only on the continent"! They tell you to have the pins vertical for the USA and slanting a little for Aus/NZ. As Skippy says outlets are the same as the USA here. If you end up resident better to just cut off the UK plug and attach local ones.

Gazza-d Feb 11th 2022 11:36 pm

UK plug adaptors are readily available here in the hardware stores.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...7497ad368e.jpg

Stokkevn Feb 13th 2022 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Raffin (Post 13094271)
I have some simple adapters saying "use only on the continent"! They tell you to have the pins vertical for the USA and slanting a little for Aus/NZ. As Skippy says outlets are the same as the USA here. If you end up resident better to just cut off the UK plug and attach local ones.

I did it round the other way, when I built the house I explained to the electrician about earth wires and shipped out a load of UK wall sockets of which about half have USB charge connections in them so I don't keep hearing "Where is my charger?"

Gazza-d Feb 13th 2022 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Stokkevn (Post 13094522)
I did it round the other way, when I built the house I explained to the electrician about earth wires and shipped out a load of UK wall sockets of which about half have USB charge connections in them so I don't keep hearing "Where is my charger?"

Yes all our houses plus brother and sister in laws are wired with UK wire and components.

winston_1 Apr 4th 2022 10:39 pm

That is a totally illegal and dangerous adapter. No shutters for a start. Insufficient plastic round the sides so plugs can be inserted with one pin or upside down. Can't see the other side but does it have an earth pin?

Smash it up and throw the remains in the bin for your families safety.

Gazza-d Apr 4th 2022 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by winston_1 (Post 13105846)
That is a totally illegal and dangerous adapter. No shutters for a start. Insufficient plastic round the sides so plugs can be inserted with one pin or upside down. Can't see the other side but does it have an earth pin?

Shutters, earth pins, what planet are you from. Welcome to the the land where a junction box is a reel of pvc tape.

mikemike Apr 4th 2022 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by winston_1 (Post 13105846)

1/ This adaptor is not illegal

2/ Earth pin in the Philippines?

3/ Never seen them used as you described, thick or thin plastic included

I have used these for years, did so yesterday with british black and decker drill. No one has died or come to harm and/or injury from many tears of use. We do not have 240v here

Gazza-d Apr 5th 2022 12:12 am

That's something you will need to get used to in the Philippines, In general electrical fittings are very poor quality Chinese knockoffs of 110V US fittings, and yes run at 240v. Plumbing and fitting are of a similar very poor quality. If you want to find the fuse panel in a building assuming they have one just follow the soot on the ceiling. If they don't have a ceiling it's a bit more difficult. During the rainy season there are more electricutions than drownings in the floods.

Stokkevn Apr 5th 2022 12:37 am

Originally Posted by Gazza-d (Post 13105863)
That's something you will need to get used to in the Philippines, In general electrical fittings are very poor quality Chinese knockoffs of 110V US fittings, and yes run at 240v. Plumbing and fitting are of a similar very poor quality. If you want to find the fuse panel in a building assuming they have one just follow the soot on the ceiling. If they don't have a ceiling it's a bit more difficult. During the rainy season there are more electricutions than drownings in the floods.

Instead of using an adapter just go for the local system that I have seen used on more than one occasion and that is two bared wire ends stuffed in the socket and held in place by two nails with some duck tape around the top. Works a treat.

Gazza-d Apr 5th 2022 12:40 am

Originally Posted by Stokkevn (Post 13105866)
Instead of using an adapter just go for the local system that I have seen used on more than one occasion and that is two bared wire ends stuffed in the socket and held in place by two nails with some duck tape around the top. Works a treat.

Or slicing the main line with two razor blades to hang a welding set on. You will soon get used to walking around with a pair of marigolds in your back pocket

winston_1 Jun 6th 2022 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by Gazza-d (Post 13105863)

The US uses 120v not 110.

Bealinehx Jun 7th 2022 5:31 am

"The US uses 120v not 110." So what who cares!

Gazza-d Jun 7th 2022 5:55 am

Originally Posted by Bealinehx (Post 13120412)
"The US uses 120v not 110." So what who cares!

Just to be pedantic it's actually 110-120V 60 Hz, the Philippines is 220-240V 60Hz.
It started at 110v and gradually changed over the years and was standardised at 120v in 1984. So although it's now 120v it has always been known as 110v.