Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Planning to live in Philippines next year

Planning to live in Philippines next year

Old Nov 17th 2019, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning to live in Philippines next year

Originally Posted by The Flying Welshman
Thanks, yes I am aware, and this is what made me choose the Philippines over Thailand, along with other factors such as language, the recent Thai attitude to Farangs and new visa restrictions. The UK Government website you link to says this:

However, it does not explain what "live" means. For example, what if I travel to other countries for certain periods? Does it require an SRRV? In other words, what does "live" mean? My state pension gets paid in mid-2021, so I have plenty of time to establish that.

Right now I am getting my local government pension, which is tight to live on in the UK but more than enough in the Philippines. I don't particularly want an SRRV until at least after April 5, 2020, because I am currently working in the UK and paying voluntary Class 2 NI contributions. This is just £153 a year and will raise my future state pension by £4.82 a week. I very am near to a full state pension, and this extra year will be useful to me. I am not bothered about paying voluntary contributions for the 2020/2021 tax year because by then I will have enough qualifying years. So I plan to come back and finish selling off my personal stuff in March/April/May 2020, then leave permanently and "live" in the Philippines. That's the plan anyway. I want to fully comply with tax laws, but the problem is I don't completely understand them!

TFW
''Live'' means registered tax resident of, tourist is NOT a registered tax resident of. I ''live'' as a permanent resident, 13a
Old Nov 17th 2019, 11:07 am
Just Joined

The Flying Welshman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikemike
''Live'' means registered tax resident of, tourist is NOT a registered tax resident of. I ''live'' as a permanent resident, 13a
Thanks, I have just been looking at this now. I read about a "Life Certificate" UK Pensions Life Certificate letter.. So I assume the type of visa does not matter, as long as I have a Philippines address?

I wonder also how freely I am allowed to travel, for example what if I decide to visit Vietnam or Cambodia for a month or three? I presume I am free to travel as I would be in the UK, as long as I maintain a Philippines address. Being a bit nomadic seems to cause problems.
Old Nov 17th 2019, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

The only place you will have restricted travel would be the UK as to maintain your non dom you mustn't spend too long there. Likewise you need spend sufficient time in the Philippines to maintain your residency.
Old Nov 17th 2019, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

The Flying Welshman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
The only place you will have restricted travel would be the UK as to maintain your non dom you mustn't spend too long there. Likewise you need spend sufficient time in the Philippines to maintain your residency.
Thanks. Unless I am mistaken, there's no advantage for me in being a non-dom, as I have to pay tax on my pensions anyway under the specific rules of the Dual Taxation Agreement. So I assume I could come back to the UK without any problems. And OK, so if I get residency, I assume that would be under an SRRV visa and perhaps other ways, I have to stay in the Philippines for so long. I guess I will work that out when I get there.
Old Nov 17th 2019, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Flying Welshman
Thanks. Unless I am mistaken, there's no advantage for me in being a non-dom, as I have to pay tax on my pensions anyway under the specific rules of the Dual Taxation Agreement. So I assume I could come back to the UK without any problems. And OK, so if I get residency, I assume that would be under an SRRV visa and perhaps other ways, I have to stay in the Philippines for so long. I guess I will work that out when I get there.
You will have to be a tax resident some where. Up to you to decide where, being a tourist does not give you tax residency.

I am not resident in the UK for income or capital gains tax earned offshore UK or offshore philippines but being a UK citizen, my estate is liable for IHT (death duties).

Last edited by mikemike; Nov 17th 2019 at 4:37 pm.