Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Planning to live in Philippines next year

Planning to live in Philippines next year

Old Nov 11th 2019, 8:40 am
Just Joined

The Flying Welshman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Planning to live in Philippines next year

Hello, Greetings, I thought I would introduce myself (I hope this is the right place). I plan to come to the Philippines in the first half of next year and retire there. I am single, 64, physically healthy with a current private pension and UK state pension starting in mid-2021. Looking to live in Cebu City initially, then possibly Dumagete or somewhere by the sea. I am also interested in scuba diving and Permaculture / sustainable living.

Having done my research I think the Philippines is for me because:
  • Easy to get Visa ( I have already posted in SRRV forum, also considering other options for Visa).
  • Beautiful friendly people
  • The beauty of the land, and climate (I love the sea)
  • Cost of living is affordable.
  • English spoken.
  • UK state pension payable there with annual increases (dual taxation agreement)
The UK is cold, dark, grey, especially in winter. I have travelled a lot and I prefer warm climates. I have looked on YouTube and in various places, and I can't find any substantial negatives. For me it seems a no-brainer.

TFW
Old Nov 11th 2019, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Charl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning to live in Philippines next year

Hope not another P11...…………….
Old Nov 11th 2019, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Charl01
Hope not another P11...…………….
And what is a P11?
Old Nov 11th 2019, 9:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Flying Welshman
And what is a P11?
It's just a reference to another forum member, that's all.

HTH.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It's just a reference to another forum member, that's all.

HTH.
Thanks. Sounds like a negative and insulting comment, judging by the "Hope it's not another P11". And one that of course I cannot possibly understand, because it is my first thread post here. Hardly what I'd call a warm and helpful welcome.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Andrew_AJP is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. Sounds like a negative and insulting comment, judging by the "Hope it's not another P11". And one that of course I cannot possibly understand, because it is my first thread post here. Hardly what I'd call a warm and helpful welcome.
Unfortunately like in life, there is always one.
The wife is from Cebu and like you I plan to retire there someday so joined here, (they don't seem to be all like that,and given that P11 seems like a decent guy trying to do the best of a bad job well I know who I would sooner have a chat with).
I think the best advice is to go out and have a few long term visits get used to the culture and the people (who are indeed friendly) and just remember that the women can be deadly lol.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Charl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond repute

It is by no means negative or insulting, if you go read the whole story from P11, you might actually find some helpful info.

As they say use it......don't use it
Old Nov 11th 2019, 11:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Andrew_AJP
Unfortunately like in life, there is always one.
The wife is from Cebu and like you I plan to retire there someday so joined here, (they don't seem to be all like that,and given that P11 seems like a decent guy trying to do the best of a bad job well I know who I would sooner have a chat with).
I think the best advice is to go out and have a few long term visits get used to the culture and the people (who are indeed friendly) and just remember that the women can be deadly lol.
Thanks Andrew. I have travelled quite a lot in Europe, Ecuador, Thailand and several other countries. I know all about the women as I stayed in Pattaya, but I didn't fall for the tricks. Plus I have watched many blogs and even done some online consultations. My plan is to first get established, then possibly seek a woman, and date for at least a year to get to know her. I won't part with any money, as I put myself as number one.

And yeah, there are ants at every picnic. They often arrive before the sandwiches
Old Nov 11th 2019, 12:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It's perhaps not what you would consider a warm and helpful welcome, but it's also not an insult. P11 is a well known forum member and very well liked. Look at BE like a pub, there will be 'regulars' that everybody knows and some inside jokes, and people that you don't agree with, but everybody gets along just fine usually.

Generally BE is a super friendly and lovely forum, and the mods are very hot on keeping things civil, so best to assume that the vast majority mean you well and don't take things personally that aren't meant that way.

HTH.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

bestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nice

Originally Posted by Andrew_AJP
Most defiantly the best advice you can get. Welcome to the forum.
Old Nov 17th 2019, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bestvue
Most defiantly the best advice you can get. Welcome to the forum.
Thanks,

My house is for sale and I am selling all my stuff. I have more than the residual income required, and I intend to move ASAP based upon experience in previous world travel which I have indulged in for the last 9 years, most recently Thailand which I enjoyed, but saw the hostility to Farangs. This could be as early as January 2020. I have no ties in the UK and my current house is not what I want anyway. So I am happy to take a calculated risk, and as the language is English I regard it as low. My health is good. If I don't like I can move on or return to the UK. I don't have to work anymore, and I plan to enjoy my retirement.
Old Nov 17th 2019, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,

My house is for sale and I am selling all my stuff. I have more than the residual income required, and I intend to move ASAP based upon experience in previous world travel which I have indulged in for the last 9 years, most recently Thailand which I enjoyed, but saw the hostility to Farangs. This could be as early as January 2020. I have no ties in the UK and my current house is not what I want anyway. So I am happy to take a calculated risk, and as the language is English I regard it as low. My health is good. If I don't like I can move on or return to the UK. I don't have to work anymore, and I plan to enjoy my retirement.
I was going to sell all my stuff before moving here but then I found out that most of the furniture sold here is not built for a European size person so I shipped the contents of a 4 bed house out here at a lot less cost than to buy new here. Another advantage seems to be is that termites do not like pine furniture. No damage in 10 years.
Old Nov 17th 2019, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
I was going to sell all my stuff before moving here but then I found out that most of the furniture sold here is not built for a European size person so I shipped the contents of a 4 bed house out here at a lot less cost than to buy new here. Another advantage seems to be is that termites do not like pine furniture. No damage in 10 years.
Thanks for the info. Fortunately, I am quite short, which is another reason for me moving there. I don't have anything of value worth shipping other than electrical and electronic items, which I planned to sell here or take in a suitcase. Initially, I plan to get a month's AirBnB and later rent a condo. That said, I can check out shipping costs, but what I would want to send would fit on a pallet.
Old Nov 17th 2019, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I am envious ! Not the dulk taxation agreement that gets your pension uprating every year, but you will get it -

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-state-pension
Old Nov 17th 2019, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
I am envious ! Not the dulk taxation agreement that gets your pension uprating every year, but you will get it -

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-state-pension
Thanks, yes I am aware, and this is what made me choose the Philippines over Thailand, along with other factors such as language, the recent Thai attitude to Farangs and new visa restrictions. The UK Government website you link to says this:
If you live in one of the following countries and receive a UK State Pension, you will usually get an increase in your pension every year
However, it does not explain what "live" means. For example, what if I travel to other countries for certain periods? Does it require an SRRV? In other words, what does "live" mean? My state pension gets paid in mid-2021, so I have plenty of time to establish that.

Right now I am getting my local government pension, which is tight to live on in the UK but more than enough in the Philippines. I don't particularly want an SRRV until at least after April 5, 2020, because I am currently working in the UK and paying voluntary Class 2 NI contributions. This is just £153 a year and will raise my future state pension by £4.82 a week. I very am near to a full state pension, and this extra year will be useful to me. I am not bothered about paying voluntary contributions for the 2020/2021 tax year because by then I will have enough qualifying years. So I plan to come back and finish selling off my personal stuff in March/April/May 2020, then leave permanently and "live" in the Philippines. That's the plan anyway. I want to fully comply with tax laws, but the problem is I don't completely understand them!

TFW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.