Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Philippine Driving License

Philippine Driving License

Old Jun 21st 2018, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Philippine Driving License

Originally Posted by tropicofcancer
I had my first one in September 1982.
They were still being issued in 2017 when my friend arrived to escape UK winter
Old Jun 21st 2018, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

The BB is not a visa it is a privilege, a visa waiver. There is no dedicated stamp, the usual 30 day entry stamp is dated 1 year instead of 30 days, in the past I have had BB hand written but recently the 1 year date hand written.
Old Jun 21st 2018, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

bestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nice

Been using B& visa privilege for many years. Just an entry stamp with BB written across it. Now adays they write the full date. BB visas are only available if arriving with your Philipino spouse.
Old Jun 21st 2018, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

My latest BB privilege dated 14 June 2018 had the usual BB handwritten on the date of entry stamp. However my neighbour entered via Clark last month and had a fancy sticker denoting his BB status.
Old Jun 21st 2018, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

liam_neeson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikek1
Liam,

I have always got a b/b visa when entering the Philippines with my Filipino wife, and that’s was for the past 25 years. A Foreigner is allowed to drive on their home country licence for 90 days. Many foreigners continue to drive after this has expired, however should they be involved in an accident the consequences could be severe.
Many foreigners have the false impression that driving in the Philippines carries no regulations and anything goes. This is totally wrong.
I recently overlooked the fact that the car needed it’s anual tax payment, which resulted in having to pay an additional fine of Php 3400.Living here permanent I realized that to drive here legally it was imperative that a 13a visa or SRRV was acquired, which is why I now have a 13a visa.
Yeah, there has never been a Balik Bayan Visa. And according to the BI, there still is not. 13a is also not a visa once you are in the country. You have an ICR, not a visa. 90 days is plenty of time though. Who tours a country longer than 90 days? Driving about no less.
Old Jun 21st 2018, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tropicofcancer
I had my first one in September 1982.
Ah. Well they have rescinded the program many years ago then.
Old Jun 21st 2018, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
The BB is not a visa it is a privilege, a visa waiver. There is no dedicated stamp, the usual 30 day entry stamp is dated 1 year instead of 30 days, in the past I have had BB hand written but recently the 1 year date hand written.
Yes, I know the BB privilege. But never heard of the visa version with special stamp some of these guys are talking about.
Old Jun 29th 2018, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Greetings!

Bringing this thread back on track.

Me and my efforts to obtain a Phils driving licence.

The rules have changed regarding obtaining a Phils Driving Licence whereby it has to be proved that the foreigner applicant will remain in the Phils for at least one year. This rules out those with a Tourist Visa which only last 6 months. I reckoned that most Govt Depts have their own interpretations of the rules and a licence can be obtained without "going under the counter.....depending where you go.

I pitched up yesterday to the nearest LTO office 2 hrs bus ride away. I encountered a problem as soon as I entered the office. I was informed that I was inappropriately dressed because I was wearing cargo shorts. The sign on the wall clearly states amongst other things that sports shorts are not permitted. I was not wearing sports shorts. Because I wanted to remain on good terms with them and not argue the point, I turned about to seek a pair of long trousers. Which is not easy in a small town. I could only find a pair of trousers 2 sizes too small for me, but managed to squeeze unceremoniously into these ultra tight trousers. Where-upon I was immediately transformed from a dapper English gent to a .....ladyboy.

I minced back into the LTO office and filled out a few forms whereupon I was told I needed photocopies of passport and English DL and a medical. The official also asked me how long I intended to stay in the Phils. I told him forever as I was now retired and about to marry my lovely lady who standing nearby. She smiled demurely....and he nodded his approval. I then minced off for my medical. Took 10 mins and cost 200 php. They counted arms and legs but didn't comment on my "funny walk". Got the photo-copies for a princely 7 php and off back to the LTO office. The doctor and photocopier were on site. Immediately hit by a brown-out and had to wait about an hour.....then a further 20 mins for the computers to get back on line.

Then it was plain sailing. Ushered to separate windows to undertake various tasks and after a few hours, came out with my new plastic Phils Driving Licence which is valid until 10 Sep 2022. No idea why they picked that date although my birthday is on Sep 11. Cost of the licence was approx. 800 php,

A successful day!

Regards
Old Jun 29th 2018, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations P 11! Now the pressure will be on for a horseless carriage. After the nuptials of course.
Old Jun 29th 2018, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philosophical 11
came out with my new plastic Phils Driving Licence which is valid until 10 Sep 2022. No idea why they picked that date although my birthday is on Sep 11.
If you had waited until Sept 12 to apply for your license it would have been valid until 10th Sept 2023. They use your birthday as a cut off point for licenses here

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 30th 2018 at 4:49 am. Reason: fix quote
Old Jun 29th 2018, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

***If you had waited until Sept 12 to apply for your license it would have been valid until 10th Sept 2023.***
Sadly not for me. My expiry date of my licence is September 11 this year!

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 30th 2018 at 4:49 am. Reason: quotes
Old Jun 29th 2018, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Sadly not for me. My expiry date of my licence is September 11 this year!
I assume that is your UK license and not a Ph licence
Old Jun 29th 2018, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

***I assume that is your UK license and not a Ph licence***
Correct. I did not have a Phils license until yesterday.

I have demonstrated that despite the new rules the Govt departments have their own interpretations of the rules.
Old Jun 29th 2018, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Greetings!

Bringing this thread back on track.

Me and my efforts to obtain a Phils driving licence.

The rules have changed regarding obtaining a Phils Driving Licence whereby it has to be proved that the foreigner applicant will remain in the Phils for at least one year. This rules out those with a Tourist Visa which only last 6 months. I reckoned that most Govt Depts have their own interpretations of the rules and a licence can be obtained without "going under the counter.....depending where you go.

I pitched up yesterday to the nearest LTO office 2 hrs bus ride away. I encountered a problem as soon as I entered the office. I was informed that I was inappropriately dressed because I was wearing cargo shorts. The sign on the wall clearly states amongst other things that sports shorts are not permitted. I was not wearing sports shorts. Because I wanted to remain on good terms with them and not argue the point, I turned about to seek a pair of long trousers. Which is not easy in a small town. I could only find a pair of trousers 2 sizes too small for me, but managed to squeeze unceremoniously into these ultra tight trousers. Where-upon I was immediately transformed from a dapper English gent to a .....ladyboy.

I minced back into the LTO office and filled out a few forms whereupon I was told I needed photocopies of passport and English DL and a medical. The official also asked me how long I intended to stay in the Phils. I told him forever as I was now retired and about to marry my lovely lady who standing nearby. She smiled demurely....and he nodded his approval. I then minced off for my medical. Took 10 mins and cost 200 php. They counted arms and legs but didn't comment on my "funny walk". Got the photo-copies for a princely 7 php and off back to the LTO office. The doctor and photocopier were on site. Immediately hit by a brown-out and had to wait about an hour.....then a further 20 mins for the computers to get back on line.

Then it was plain sailing. Ushered to separate windows to undertake various tasks and after a few hours, came out with my new plastic Phils Driving Licence which is valid until 10 Sep 2022. No idea why they picked that date although my birthday is on Sep 11. Cost of the licence was approx. 800 php,

A successful day!

Regards
Congrats. Just be careful, as technically, you are not allowed to have one. You could get in trouble for having it without legal status.

In order to transact business in any government office in the Philippines, you need to dress appropriately. Just like back home. No shorts, no sandos, no sandles, etc.
Old Jun 30th 2018, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

''In order to transact business in any government office in the Philippines, you need to dress appropriately. Just like back home. No shorts, no sandos, no sandles, etc.''
Not true

i did my in shorts and slippers last year with no issues. Each office may decide to apply its own rules as they see fit. Before anyone says would I do that in my own country, in the summer yes, in the winter no!!

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 30th 2018 at 4:48 am. Reason: Quotes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.