Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Philippine Driving License

Philippine Driving License

Old May 28th 2017, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Philippine Driving License

Originally Posted by David Mashael
I still have old paper UK driving license so apparently I can't renew at a Post Office, I have to go through DVLA. Tried doing that on line, what a drama..!! I used my daughters address, and to the question "How long have you lived at that address" I initially answered 1 month. That led to a different link requesting full details of where I have lived in UK for the past 3 years. I haven't lived in UK for 35 years, so I backtracked and answered 3 years. They require your passport number which enables them to check that I have been out of the country for the past 35 years. Before I could submit the application it timed out anyway. I'm a little concerned that DVLA may not renew my license.
When I went back to the UK in 2013 I applied online for a new license using an address I had only been in for 2 weeks. It asked for previous address so I gave my previous address ( the one where my previous license was registered ) in UK and confirmed 9 years living there, I omitted I had not lived there for many years. New license arrived in the post a couple of days later.

I did read somewhere ( that I can not find now ) that you can drive on an expired UK license if you are considered a short term visitor to the UK, but can not remember what the definition of a "Short term visitor" was. Maybe a quick email to you intended local police station could revile what you can do, mine in Aberdeen was always very helpful on quite a few matters.
Old May 28th 2017, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
When I went back to the UK in 2013 I applied online for a new license using an address I had only been in for 2 weeks. It asked for previous address so I gave my previous address ( the one where my previous license was registered ) in UK and confirmed 9 years living there, I omitted I had not lived there for many years. New license arrived in the post a couple of days later.

I did read somewhere ( that I can not find now ) that you can drive on an expired UK license if you are considered a short term visitor to the UK, but can not remember what the definition of a "Short term visitor" was. Maybe a quick email to you intended local police station could revile what you can do, mine in Aberdeen was always very helpful on quite a few matters.
Thanks again for the feedback.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Greetings!

I am thinking about converting my UK driving Licence to that of the Philippines. I am aware of the basic procedure, but I have read somewhere that the applicant needs to show that they are staying in the country for at least one year. I have to leave (3 yr rule) before April next year. I do not currently have my passport to hand because its held in the BI office (10 hr return trip) after my last visa renewal. Is it necessary to produce this? My ACR card is valid until June next year. My UK driving licence is the old paper type without a photo....is this a problem?

Finally, I am aware that one can drive in the Philippines on a UK licence for 90 days after arrival. Would that rule be applicable on my re-entry to the Philippines next year?

I do not need a licence at the moment, but its a nice option to have if and when the need arises.

Many thanks
Old Dec 1st 2017, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Simple answer first, yes the 90 days restarts on your re-entry. In theory you need to be in the Philippines for 1 month then show a visa valid for 12 months, can't be done with a visit visa as the max is 6 months at a time. Many LTOs don't understand their own rules so who knows until you try it.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
Simple answer first, yes the 90 days restarts on your re-entry. In theory you need to be in the Philippines for 1 month then show a visa valid for 12 months, can't be done with a visit visa as the max is 6 months at a time. Many LTOs don't understand their own rules so who knows until you try it.
I got my Ph license 9 months through a 1 year balikbayan entry stamp, not that it made any difference as they did not even ask to see my passport.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
I got my Ph license 9 months through a 1 year balikbayan entry stamp, not that it made any difference as they did not even ask to see my passport.
Thats what Im hoping to do next month. Do you need ACR card?
Old Dec 1st 2017, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Philosophical 11
Greetings!

I am thinking about converting my UK driving Licence to that of the Philippines. I am aware of the basic procedure, but I have read somewhere that the applicant needs to show that they are staying in the country for at least one year. I have to leave (3 yr rule) before April next year. I do not currently have my passport to hand because its held in the BI office (10 hr return trip) after my last visa renewal. Is it necessary to produce this? My ACR card is valid until June next year. My UK driving licence is the old paper type without a photo....is this a problem?

Finally, I am aware that one can drive in the Philippines on a UK licence for 90 days after arrival. Would that rule be applicable on my re-entry to the Philippines next year?

I do not need a licence at the moment, but its a nice option to have if and when the need arises.

Many thanks
It's very easy to change your old paper license for the new plastic one. Do it on line, they send new license to your UK address (I used my daughters address) within 2 or 3 days. I did it 3 months ago.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Thats what Im hoping to do next month. Do you need ACR card?
Never had an ACR card, so in my case No.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

It's very easy to change your old paper license for the new plastic one. Do it on line, they send new license to your UK address (I used my daughters address) within 2 or 3 days. I did it 3 months ago.
You don't even need to send them a photo as they can use the one you provided to the passport office. Just remember to get it wrapped properly when it is posted here, it is credit card shaped and likely to go AWOL. My brother always puts things like that in a CD holder and labels the customs cert as family photos.
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

bestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nice

I have a B&B stamp in the passport which the LTO in Tagaytay would not accept because it expired within the 12 month requirement. As usual it will be dependent on your local LTO and probably the time of day and the officer you talk to.
Old Dec 24th 2017, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bestvue
I have a B&B stamp in the passport which the LTO in Tagaytay would not accept because it expired within the 12 month requirement. As usual it will be dependent on your local LTO and probably the time of day and the officer you talk to.
And how much donated to the welfare fund.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

Renewed my Drivers Licence at my usual place at the LTO Renewal Office in Robinsons East. Nothing about 12 months residence requirement. As I'm an old fart, in and out within an hour. However one new procedure fingerprints are now taken. Is this only for foreigners? Has the 12 month rule been rescinded? A neighbour went through the Driver Test joke last week and was not required to show a 12 month visa, just his passport.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bealinehx
Renewed my Drivers Licence at my usual place at the LTO Renewal Office in Robinsons East. Nothing about 12 months residence requirement. As I'm an old fart, in and out within an hour. However one new procedure fingerprints are now taken. Is this only for foreigners? Has the 12 month rule been rescinded? A neighbour went through the Driver Test joke last week and was not required to show a 12 month visa, just his passport.
How long is your new license valid for, they are supposed to have gone from 3 to 5 years. Not sure when this is/was supposed to come into effect.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

New Licence valid for 5 years. Total cost 652PHP for Licence then the medical costs about 250 PHP
Old Jun 8th 2018, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

If you are renewing a license why should there be a 12 month requirement. That only applies for your first license.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.