Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Philippine Driving License

Philippine Driving License

Old Aug 14th 2016, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Philippine Driving License

True Gazza. But if you have a ticket out of the country in say 13 months, would that not be adequate proof that you are staying for one year? Nice to hear that not all LTO's are applying the regs just yet.
Old Aug 14th 2016, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by springsteen11
True Gazza. But if you have a ticket out of the country in say 13 months, would that not be adequate proof that you are staying for one year? Nice to hear that not all LTO's are applying the regs just yet.
Usual best way through the system with little or no paperwork is by knowing someone who knows someone. Especially in the provinces
Old Aug 14th 2016, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
Usual best way through the system with little or no paperwork is by knowing someone who knows someone. Especially in the provinces
Pete, didn't you say some time before that your father-in-law takes the mayor's cars to be registered at the LTO, maybe time to call in a favour for all those Red Horses, he will surely know someone there.
Old Aug 15th 2016, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by springsteen11
There's nothing stopping them from refusing a visa extension at any time. Having a ticket only shows intentent.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 6:49 am
Just Joined

laurenceinarabia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
The only visas valid for one year are resident types and perhaps work and student. Although you can stay as a tourist for 36 months the maximum length of any one visa is 6 months so you could not acheive the 12 month requirement. Not all LTOs are applying this yet as is the normal filipino way.

Not correct. Balik bayan visa is 12 months a free on entry. Just had confirmed that this is fine to get my Philippine DL
Old Aug 17th 2016, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

To avail of the Balikbayan visa, "one must enter the country, with a Filipino spouse."
Old Aug 17th 2016, 7:43 am
Just Joined

laurenceinarabia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tropicofcancer
To avail of the Balikbayan visa, "one must enter the country, with a Filipino spouse."
Correct - I did )

Just saying that if you have a BBV then this is enough to get the DL
Old Aug 17th 2016, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laurenceinarabia
Correct - I did )

Just saying that if you have a BBV then this is enough to get the DL
Have you just had it confirmed or have you actually got a DL as some LTO's appear unaware of the change and still hand out DLs to visitors. By the rules you actually need 13 months, 1 previous month in country plus 12 months. You could not acheive this with a BB. But as a say every LTO has it's own ideas and apply them as they see fit. YMMV.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

bestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nice

Was told at LTO that a BB visa was not good enough because you must have a visa valid for one year when making the application. However an international dl is valid for its full length so if you get one before you go you can drive for a year.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bestvue
Was told at LTO that a BB visa was not good enough because you must have a visa valid for one year when making the application. However an international dl is valid for its full length so if you get one before you go you can drive for a year.
An international driving license is just your county's driving licence translated into the language of your host country. You don't drive on an international driving licence you are driving on your original license. So good for 90 days.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

bestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nice

[QUOTE=Gazza-d;12235160]
OK won't argue except to say that's what the LTO in Tagaytay told me. BTW they also said your home licence is only valid for one month. As said before in this thread not all LTOS are equal.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=bestvue;12235465]
Originally Posted by Gazza-d
OK won't argue except to say that's what the LTO in Tagaytay told me. BTW they also said your home licence is only valid for one month. As said before in this thread not all LTOS are equal.
I get the impression that most of them couldn't find their own backside with both hands.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Gazza-d;12235642]
Originally Posted by bestvue

I get the impression that most of them couldn't find their own backside with both hands.
They could do if the light was on.

I have just got a friend from France ( yeh, I know, stop laughing ) a Ph driving license. A relative in the LTO disperses all requirements for visa status, all they needed was an official translation of his French license and the additional Ph600 to cover the so called express lane fee.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

Bazza070958 is an unknown quantity at this point

Got stopped for the non wearing of a helmet and had to show all the necessary paperwork and my UK license ... was told that its best to get Philippine License in case i have an accident ... everything was sorted amicably and my fine was reduced to 100 peso as we got on so swimmingly .... so i trotted off to the LTO to get a license totally unaware that there had been a change and was flatly denied a license saying i must have a valid visa for 1 year .... after arguing that toss I walked out and now just drive with a UK license ... I will reapply in Oct when I get my new ACR card which apparently will suffice .... however it does make me chuckle as the standard of driving here is shambolic and as a scooter rider am put at deaths door every 400m i reckon .... i find it amusing that indicating with your big toe is better than using an indicator ... or that doing U turns on bends is fine ... yet my British License won't cut it .... as the saying goes " its more fun etc etc " :0
Old Apr 26th 2017, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bazza070958
Got stopped for the non wearing of a helmet and had to show all the necessary paperwork and my UK license ... was told that its best to get Philippine License in case i have an accident ... everything was sorted amicably and my fine was reduced to 100 peso as we got on so swimmingly .... so i trotted off to the LTO to get a license totally unaware that there had been a change and was flatly denied a license saying i must have a valid visa for 1 year .... after arguing that toss I walked out and now just drive with a UK license ... I will reapply in Oct when I get my new ACR card which apparently will suffice .... however it does make me chuckle as the standard of driving here is shambolic and as a scooter rider am put at deaths door every 400m i reckon .... i find it amusing that indicating with your big toe is better than using an indicator ... or that doing U turns on bends is fine ... yet my British License won't cut it .... as the saying goes " its more fun etc etc " :0
I got stopped for not carrying a red triangle, I asked if I could just use a local one instead, he looked a bit confused so I pointed at the truck down the road that was using the usual pot plant, stone and a coconut leaf. Fine P1350 and I had to go on a full day course titled Responsible Driving Course. Got out of going on the course

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.