Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Philippine Driving License

Philippine Driving License

Old Jun 30th 2018, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Philippine Driving License

Liam N.

Yes, you make a fair point on the legality issue. But I wonder what the wording is on the new rule regarding the issue of DL's? Or if its at the discretion of the LTO official at the time on evidence presented? In my case when the question was posed on how long I will stay in the Phils, I showed them my Legal Capacity to marry, and a passport showing that I have already been here 3 years.....so why should I want to leave. Maybe what swung it is when I pointed to my lovely lady

But the real question should be......what difference does it make if you are staying in Phils for say 6 days/weeks/months/years?

Regards
Old Jun 30th 2018, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Re the issue of dressing correctly.

I agree with MM. All offices here have their own rules regarding dress. However, I was dressed correctly iaw with their notice. I was not wearing sports shorts....but cargo shorts which were clean on that day and freshly ironed. Again, its the interpretation of rules which appear to be the problem with officials....

Regards
Old Jun 30th 2018, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philosophical 11
Liam N.

But the real question should be......what difference does it make if you are staying in Phils for say 6 days/weeks/months/years?

Regards
The reason I heard was DU30 was trying to stop all the foreigners from abandoning their cars beside the road when they left the country, apparently becoming a big problem for the locals.
Old Jun 30th 2018, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

bestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
The reason I heard was DU30 was trying to stop all the foreigners from abandoning their cars beside the road when they left the country, apparently becoming a big problem for the locals.
ok if you leave the keys in though.....
Old Jul 1st 2018, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

With the issue of DL's, the LTO will produce this fine leaflet on how to conduct yourself for safe driving in the Philippines......Read at your peril!

LTO Guide

Regards
Old Jul 1st 2018, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

Great find P11, and sadly a pretty accurate picture of the everyday driving experience here, not just for foreigners but for the probable minority of considerate Filipino drivers.

On Jeepneys the more I drive here the more sympathetic I have become to the problems these lumbering carabaos of the roads have in getting through the traffic and making a living in the process. It's the UVs which are more dangerous...I would say UV really stands for "Ultra Violent" in their case. Always suddenly cutting in in front of traffic to drop people off.

Some sympathy too on the roundabouts or "rotundas", as there are not many here for motorists to become experienced on. The few that there are are certainly some of the most difficult bits of the road system to go through safely here eg The Quezon Ave circle. But there are now a lot more box junctions than rotundas around and drivers don't have a clue how to correctly deal with them. I have given up and now "do as the Romans do" with respect to them.

And they are SUTCH good drivers here! SUTCH standing for Sudden U Turn Champions. They will do one right in front of one's car even if it's the only vehicle around.

Hired a car in the UK a few years ago for 3 weeks, In that time experienced just a couple of instances of bad or inconsiderate driving. Here on just one 30 minute trip one can experience several.

And just think of the saving on traffic enforcers if drivers here were more disciplined!

Driving manners are so bad that if you show some consideration in your driving, eg by giving way to a vehicle wanting to come out of a turning onto a main road they often hesitate, they can't believe it. It's got to the stage where I almost do it for the amusement of seeing their reaction.
Old Jul 18th 2018, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

liam_neeson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
It is funny that people are complaining about this. What country in the world allows tourists to get a DL? To get one in the UK you need Government Gateway ID, National Insurance number, proof of valid visa, Residency Card, and so on. It is very hard.

And yes, most foreigners seem to NEED their own cars. So coming as a tourist and abandoning your car is probably a serious issue. Not to mention a danger to the other drivers on the road.
Old Jul 18th 2018, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liam_neeson
It is funny that people are complaining about this. What country in the world allows tourists to get a DL? To get one in the UK you need Government Gateway ID, National Insurance number, proof of valid visa, Residency Card, and so on. It is very hard.

And yes, most foreigners seem to NEED their own cars. So coming as a tourist and abandoning your car is probably a serious issue. Not to mention a danger to the other drivers on the road.
According to DVLA you need none of that except proof of ID, this is what they say

To exchange your license, you must meet the following conditions:
  • You must be a resident of Great Britain, i.e. have lived for at least l85 days at a permanent address in the country.
  • Your old, foreign license must still be valid.
  • You must be willing to surrender your old license to the DVLA.
  • If you are from Japan or South Korea, you need to provide a certified translation of your old license. Please contact the Japanese or Korean Embassy in the UK for further information.
If you are eligible and want to exchange your previous driver’s license for a British one, you need to submit the documents listed below to the DVLA by mail (you will find the address on the application form):
  • a completed application form D1 from the DVLA
  • your foreign driver’s license
  • any other documents you might need (such as ID, proof of a legal change of name, etc.)
  • 43 GBP in licensing fees
You should receive your new British driver’s license within three weeks. Please remember that you are not allowed to exchange an international driving permit.
Old Jul 19th 2018, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

If you are the SRRV you do not even need to surrender your old license just take your Uk license,ACR card and passport along to to the local LTO, hope they know the procedures and you will be fine. Take your cell phone and a load plus have the PRA contact number just in case the LTO need to speak to them if they do not know the process.